PDA

View Full Version : Magnificant Fox Face diet

bbowler1
08/04/2015, 11:03 AM
I just added one to my tank yesterday. He is already picking at the rocks a bit and eating some Mysis but I would love to have him eat some Nori. If I keep putting it in on a clip do you think he will eventually go for it? I know its not realistic to expect this on day 1.

TigeBell
08/04/2015, 11:07 AM
Yes, your foxface will eventually eat the Nori once it figures out what it is. It took mine a few days to figure it out but I also have a few tangs in the tank that knew what it was. Today, the foxface is a outright pig once that sheet goes into the tank and will fend off the tangs to get his share of the Nori.

bbowler1
08/04/2015, 12:02 PM
great, does using the garlic or selcon help or not needed?

Neebles
08/04/2015, 12:45 PM
I got mine to start eating nori by rubber banding it to a rock and dropping it in there...eventually I was able to move it to a clip with no problems. Mine also like those grazer rings (I forgot who makes them).

TigeBell
08/04/2015, 01:22 PM
I didn't need the garlic or selcon since all the foxface did was follow what the other tangs in the tank were doing. Do you have a fish that would eat the nori already in your tank? You can even put the nori in there in and maybe they will stumble upon it. neebles also have a good suggestion

bbowler1
08/04/2015, 01:52 PM
not yet, I want to add a purple and chevron to teach him but need the funds to get both at same time so less chance of issues. I will have to look at the grazing ring, I think its new era that makes it.

TigeBell
08/04/2015, 03:30 PM
yes, new era is the company that makes them. good luck

bbowler1
08/06/2015, 08:22 AM
well fox face kinda touches Mysis, snacks on some strands of hair algae that float by but still isn't smart enough to go after the algae clip yet.

horseplay
08/06/2015, 03:40 PM
over time it will eat anything. my big thing is to prevent my magnificent foxface from eating all the food regardless what I feed :)

bbowler1
08/06/2015, 04:26 PM
yeah im hoping, its only been 3 1/2 days so im sure he is still adjusting although he swims around with no probs

TigeBell
08/06/2015, 09:57 PM
mine is a very shy fish. so shy that i don't dare put anything into the tank 30 minutes before feeding since he/she will hug up against the rocks, change color to match, and not eat if there is food put into the tank with that time. I find it interesting that the foxface is so shy. however, other the last 5 months that I have had him/her, trust has been established and continues to be established.

good luck, mine eats like a pig and he/she is beautiful when out swimming around.

bbowler1
08/10/2015, 08:36 AM
well he is definitely kinda shy but does swin around a bit more now. Does not eat Mysis but finallt started to enjoy the green nori sheets on a clip in addition to picking at rocks. He has actually started hanging with my blue throat trigger and so they keep company together, still a shy pair.