PDA

View Full Version : skyblue 160 kessil and reefbrite?

Seaweed Brain
08/04/2015, 11:50 AM
So I've been running a 24" blue reefbrite along with my kessil on my 26Gallon bow tank. I only run the kessil for about 4 hours a day and the reefbrite is on for 9 hours. I went with the 4 hour time frame because I thought both lights might be a bit much together and I liked the look of the reefbrite better. my question is if this is a good idea or not. I havent been running this combo for long, only about a month or so but I'm starting to notice that some of my zoas are appearing to be melting and the few sps I have are starting to look dull.

Mark426
08/06/2015, 09:20 AM
4 hours seems really short, especially for SPS. The 160 is a super nice light but its not super powerful. I would start increasing the time you run all the lights by an hour or so each week until you get 8 hours of full light. Run the reefbrites 9-12 hours, they dont do much other than look nice to our eyes.

EDIT: BTW... I have a slightly smaller mixed coral tank and run a Mitras LED (powerful) for a full 8 hours of high intensity with a 2 hour ramp up/ramp down on either side of the 8 hours. My corals are happy and grow like weeds.

mt4sure
08/12/2015, 10:49 PM
What was your original light setup? The current setup might not be giving off enough light depending also on your kessil light output and the lack of a longer photoperiod from your kessil might be the reason why the corals are looking lackluster.

Seaweed Brain
08/15/2015, 08:34 AM
I've started to increase the times that I have both lights running so hopefully this will solve my problem. before the switch I was running a 4 bulb t5 fixture for about 9 hours a day.