PDA

View Full Version : Tank bowing! Help!

LCieParagon
08/04/2015, 11:38 PM
Hello,

I know this is for saltwater aquariums, but I have a general question which should pertain to both kinds of tanks.

This is a 10 gallon tank that I divided about 3/5 of the way with an acrylic sheet. So there is about 6 gallons of water in the one side. The other side I don't want water yet.

Is this bowing too much? It's 1/8 inch acrylic on a 10 gallon tank holding 6 gallons of water.

Cfabia1
08/04/2015, 11:43 PM
You could cut a piece of PVC the right size and wedge and silicone it to the dry side holding back the acrylic from bowing

LCieParagon
08/04/2015, 11:45 PM
You could cut a piece of PVC the right size and wedge and silicone it to the dry side holding back the acrylic from bowing

You think that bowing is too severe?

Isaacs55
08/04/2015, 11:53 PM
You think that bowing is too severe?

It could fail on you over a long time or even a shorter amount of time...
Acrylic doesn't bond well against glass using silicone
I would switch it out honestly and use an 1/8 glass instead..you may get the same bow but at least the silicone will adhere much better and less likely to fail.

The only time us saltwater guys use 1/8 acrylic is in our sumps where it doesn't matter if it fails...less impact then a DT

LCieParagon
08/04/2015, 11:57 PM
It could fail on you over a long time or even a shorter amount of time...
Acrylic doesn't bond well against glass using silicone
I would switch it out honestly and use an 1/8 glass instead..you may get the same bow but at least the silicone will adhere much better and less likely to fail.

The only time us saltwater guys use 1/8 acrylic is in our sumps where it doesn't matter if it fails...less impact then a DT

Does it matter if the glass is tempered? Can I use regular sheet glass from Lowes?

This will be a pain to de-silicone the whole thing again and take the water and sand out.

Cfabia1
08/05/2015, 12:03 AM
The last baffel in every sump I have done with 1/8 acrylic has eventually failed due to the bowing like that

LCieParagon
08/05/2015, 12:13 AM
I took another picture. It looks like this.

http://i.imgur.com/tkFUihg.jpg

Isaacs55
08/05/2015, 12:24 AM
Does it matter if the glass is tempered? Can I use regular sheet glass from Lowes?

This will be a pain to de-silicone the whole thing again and take the water and sand out.

It does not matter if it is tempered...however you have to buy the glass that's the right size if it is tempered, because far as I know you cannot cut tempered glass or drill it unless it's annealed, which you don't won't to try.
So if you can find a place that sells non tempered glass then cut it yourself that would work great. Or just have a glass shop do it for you...but go with 1/4 glass to be honest to avoid the bowing

Cfabia1
08/05/2015, 12:25 AM
I would say it depends on what your putting in the tank, balance the risk of it failing vs the cost of all the livestock, but if its just an experiment with no real life at risk then that's different. Good luck

LCieParagon
08/05/2015, 12:28 AM
I would say it depends on what your putting in the tank, balance the risk of it failing vs the cost of all the livestock, but if its just an experiment with no real life at risk then that's different. Good luck

Actually there will be no livestock at all in the tank. It's made to be for plants only. I was going to do a paludarium where I have semi-aquatic on one side and aquatic on the other. I have special lights with different spectrums I was going to monkey around with.

Cfabia1
08/05/2015, 12:29 AM
I would leave it then, sounds pretty interesting.

LCieParagon
It does not matter if it is tempered...however you have to buy the glass that's the right size if it is tempered, because far as I know you cannot cut tempered glass or drill it unless it's annealed, which you don't won't to try.
So if you can find a place that sells non tempered glass then cut it yourself that would work great. Or just have a glass shop do it for you...but go with 1/4 glass to be honest to avoid the bowing

Any luck or ever hear of anyone with polypropylene tanks? I was reading they are 250 times stronger than glass. They are the sheets made from polycarbonate substance. I never even heard of someone use it, but I saw a website selling sheets that I could possibly cut.

Isaacs55
I took another picture. It looks like this.

http://i.imgur.com/tkFUihg.jpg

Yes that will fail because acrylic does not bond with glass using silicone...the only way this would work is to have equal amount of water on both sides to alleviate the pressure. ..but in your case you want it dry on one side so that will fail if you leave it... just a matter of when.

Just pull it off with your hands, it should come off fairly easy. Of course wear gloves and eye ware for protection. ..
Use a flat razor blade to scrape off the silicone should come off easily like that as well. Use only the blade not the blade and handle...like before you put the blade in the box cutter if that makes sense. Use that again use gloves or you'll cut up your fingers...

LCieParagon
08/05/2015, 12:34 AM
Yes that will fail because acrylic does not bond with glass using silicone...the only way this would work is to have equal amount of water on both sides to alleviate the pressure. ..but in your case you want it dry on one side so that will fail if you leave it... just a matter of when.

Just pull it off with your hands, it should come off fairly easy. Of course wear gloves and eye ware for protection. ..
Use a flat razor blade to scrape off the silicone should come off easily like that as well. Use only the blade not the blade and handle...like before you put the blade in the box cutter if that makes sense. Use that again use gloves or you'll cut up your fingers...

I guess I'll just drain it. I won't risk my eyes or an apartment full of water. I really thought this would work. Oh well I guess. Now I have to pay a decent amount of money for a 10"x11"x1/4" piece of glass. This piece of acrylic only costed me $7.

Isaacs55
08/05/2015, 12:39 AM
Any luck or ever hear of anyone with polypropylene tanks? I was reading they are 250 times stronger than glass. They are the sheets made from polycarbonate substance. I never even heard of someone use it, but I saw a website selling sheets that I could possibly cut.

I haven't heard of anyone using polycarbonate sheets for a tank build.....
Only cast acrylic
And if your referring to polypropylene, that's pvc pretty much...white plastics. I'm not sure where your going with this but the point is its best not to silicone any plastic to any glass or it will fail unless like I said it's equal amount of water on both sides.

Honestly with what your trying to accomplish....which sounds pretty cool and interesting and would make for a great display....I would just use 1/4 inch glass. Easier to clean as well.

Isaacs55
08/05/2015, 12:42 AM
I guess I'll just drain it. I won't risk my eyes or an apartment full of water. I really thought this would work. Oh well I guess. Now I have to pay a decent amount of money for a 10"x11"x1/4" piece of glass. This piece of acrylic only costed me $7.

It wouldn't fail to that much of a degree. It would probably be a slow leak and then just fill up the other side, unless something crazy dramatic happens lol but still beat to just use glass and be done with it so you won't have to worry

LCieParagon
08/05/2015, 12:48 AM
It wouldn't fail to that much of a degree. It would probably be a slow leak and then just fill up the other side, unless something crazy dramatic happens lol but still beat to just use glass and be done with it so you won't have to worry

It's just a huge inconvenience. I have to drain the tank, remove the sand, remove the acrylic, then remove all the freaking silicone, and I have to pray I don't scratch my current glass. And I used the entire tube of silicone so I have to spend another $10 on that.

Isaacs55
08/05/2015, 12:56 AM
It's just a huge inconvenience. I have to drain the tank, remove the sand, remove the acrylic, then remove all the freaking silicone, and I have to pray I don't scratch my current glass. And I used the entire tube of silicone so I have to spend another $10 on that.

I think everyone has been there at one point lol welcome to the club. I had to removes all 5 Baffles in my sump because I used the wrong silicone lol it was hard work but I'm glad I did...I not sure what your putting in the tank but if there are inhabitants make sure to use aquarium safe silicone. That's the reason I had to pull all mine off because I uses the wrong silicone that had mold inhibitors that could be detrimental to a tank. And in my case I used glass Baffles so it was way harder to take off then acrylic lol

platypusklr
08/05/2015, 05:09 AM
Any type of brace would probobly transfer the pressure from the bow onto the opposite glass its resting on. Go with glass to glass. It may be a cheap option to find a free 10 gallon or so on craigslist, they are all over the place, pull her apart and cut it yourself. Its easy with a cheap cutter and a yardstick.

gveng
08/05/2015, 06:30 PM

Next time do it right so you don't have to ***** about redoing it. :headwally:

LCieParagon
08/05/2015, 06:51 PM
Next time do it right so you don't have to ***** about redoing it. :headwally:

Rather than be rude to me, you might want to know I did everything correct. 1/8 of an inch is more than enough to support 6 gallons of water. In fact many 10 gallon fish tanks use 1/8 inch glass. Carbon based polymers are actually 10x stronger than glass. The problem, which I didn't realize, is that silicone does not bond very well between glass and plastics. So you're incorrect in stating that I didn't do it correctly. But yes, it is a pain when you've done your research properly and find out something secondary is the problem.

Your input and comments serve no purpose other than to attack.

malira
08/05/2015, 07:54 PM
This also happened when I made my son's sump where the water level is close to equal the baffles hold well, but where the levels are unequal disaster ensued.

LCieParagon
08/05/2015, 08:09 PM
I ended up taking apart the tank. I drained all the water and took out the sand. After taking all the silicone off, my tank look pretty badly messed up, so I bought a new one for $10.49. After driving for many miles today, I got a piece of glass that was 10"x11"x1/4". Well the problem is that the thickness of the tank is about 9.9". So I now have to find a place to shave about .1" of 1/4" thickness glass. The person at Home Depot near me works at a glass factory and said he would charge me $10 + tax to shave it. This is turning into a very expensive project.

Two tanks: $21.93
Two silicone vials: $18.17
Acrylic: ~$15.00
Glass: $14.13
Shaving: $10.70
Hood: $13.90
Gas: ~$15
Razor blades: $5.34
Alcohol: $2.13
Total: $116.30

Just for the tank to be completed. This is a 10 gallon tank divided "in half". Yikes.

Isaacs55
08/05/2015, 08:57 PM
I ended up taking apart the tank. I drained all the water and took out the sand. After taking all the silicone off, my tank look pretty badly messed up, so I bought a new one for $10.49. After driving for many miles today, I got a piece of glass that was 10"x11"x1/4". Well the problem is that the thickness of the tank is about 9.9". So I now have to find a place to shave about .1" of 1/4" thickness glass. The person at Home Depot near me works at a glass factory and said he would charge me $10 + tax to shave it. This is turning into a very expensive project.

Just for the tank to be completed. This is a 10 gallon tank divided "in half". Yikes.

I'm sorry to hear about all the mess...
I would say buy a glass cutter that's 2 dollars but trying to cut an inch of glass is hard and would be impossible for .1"
So if you measured from the outside of the tank and the width is 9.9" your going to need shave more of the glass out then. 1"
You have to account for the back and front pane which each are 1/8 so that's 1/4 you have to account for when shaving. I would go in extra 1/4 to be sure it fits...so make sure you tell the guy to shave it to 9.75" not 9.99"
So shave it to 9 3/4"
Just don't want to see you get it back, take it home and then it's still too big lol

LobsterOfJustice
08/10/2015, 12:02 PM

Remember, you also have to account for the thickness of the piece of glass when getting it in to place. If it is exactly the correct length, it will not fit into place because the length of the diagonal dimension will be too long to get it into place.

oblio
08/10/2015, 01:26 PM

Yes, this seems odd, when you "started over" why didn't you simply buy a smaller tank, or 2 smaller tanks and put them side by side. You never really explained why you needed this specific configuration built, the original bow was a tad concerning but if you were eventually just putting water in the other chamber then it would have been basically zero pressure on the divider and the bow would have disappeared, and would have most likely lasted a long time. What is it that your trying to accomplish here? I bet if you would just write a well thought out description of what you are trying to achieve this forum will tell you exactly how to do it correctly and economically the first time.

Neebles
08/10/2015, 01:27 PM
Maybe bring the 10 gallon tank with you and tell the guy shaving the glad that you want this, to fit in this, like this.