PDA

View Full Version : Splash avoidance- baffle height

Noris
08/05/2015, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone!
First ever sump build, have read many of your past threads, and with your help and the folks at gmacreef, I've decided to go with a Herby overflow system. I have a 2inch drop from chamber to chamber, question: will this cause air bubbles or waterfall noise/splashing as water flows through sump?

Sump: is a 29g acrylic tank measuring 30w 12d 18h

Pump flow rate: 360 gph (almost 5x)

Main Tank: 80g reef ready main tank w/ overflow (currently plugged) which is already running fully stocked

Skimmer: filtered by a 6ft external airstone skimmer that works wonderfully- thanks to the folks at hawkfish.org

Notes: have already considered backflow from main tank and overflow box water volume draining into sump in case of power failure in design. Thanks!

thegrun
08/06/2015, 05:36 PM
I like to keep the drops at 3/4".

Isaacs55
08/06/2015, 09:45 PM
No with a flow rate of only 360 your good. You won't get any air bubbles past your second baffle.

Shawn O
08/07/2015, 09:49 AM
If you're getting water fall noise from the baffles you could install the baffles canted a few degrees towards the direction the water is coming from. Most likely won't even hear the water if they're straight up and down or this would be done by a lot of people already.

KingTriton1
08/07/2015, 12:11 PM
I have a 4x -5x turnover rate through my sump with one baffle having a drop from 11.5 to 8.5 (3'') and there is virtually no noise that can be heard. I like to keep my return section chamber around 8''+ to prevent any bubbles from reaching the return pump. Having said that I like to keep the water level close to the top of the last baffle in the return section in case of ATO failure.

BlackTip
08/07/2015, 01:36 PM
It depends on the length of the baffle and the flow rate. The more water flow, the higher the distance the water rise above the weir the higher the drop.

The water in my sump drops 2" over the first baffle from the return section to the skimmer section. Water flow at rate of 1150 gph. I have annoying splashing sound. all other baffles drop 1", and they don't cause any sound at all. The last baffle from the fuge drops about 8", and it is dead silent, because the water flow is only 100gph.