PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket skimmer options for the Red Sea Max C 130

deepseadan
08/05/2015, 09:33 PM
I have the Red Sea max C 130. I absolutely hate the skimmer on the tank. It has a mind of its own, and is very unreliable. Some days it under skims, some days it can't stop filling the cup every 30 seconds and other days it works great. Just crazy.

I have called Red Sea and they act like I'm the crazy one, and to be honest I don't think they know what they're doing. What they say to do fixes nothing. It's a bummer when a company like Red Sea doesn't admit there product is defective.

Having said that, I would suggest anyone looking to purchase any tank or product from Red Sea to seriously research it ahead of time and not just trust the company because of the name and size. In fact, I would recommend people to stay clear of the Red Sea max tanks altogether.

Ok, can you tell I'm fed up with the skimmer and red seas advice, and having to spend more money on something that should work reliably from the factory. But now that I've said my feelings, does anyone know of a good aftermarket option that fits the Red Sea max c130? From my searching the tunze 9002 is discontinued and the ghost is a little more than I wanted to spend. Any other good skimmers or am I out of luck.

hipower
08/05/2015, 09:42 PM
HOB? Try a CPR skimmer. Got a sump? try an eShopps S-120

deepseadan
08/06/2015, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know if the cpr sr3 skimmer will fit in the back? I will measure but it's hard to tell for sure.

deepseadan
08/09/2015, 03:23 AM
Never mind my first post, after days of fighting I figured out that my water level needed to be dropped. The skimmer pump needed some extra gravity to drop the water level in the skimmer. All is good now and I regret my complaints about Red Sea products. Of course if their phone customer support wouldn't have told me the wrong info, I probably would not have struggled so much. Now I'm 100% happy with the skimmer appreciate its aggressive style. Finally no more overflowing!!!!!!!!!

Mike In Perth
08/09/2015, 05:23 AM
Hi Dan,

I am glad that you got your issues sorted, whilst I wasn't at the same levels of frustration as yourself, I was continually chasing my tale with my skimmer settings C-Skim 1800.
The information I had been presented from the LFS staff member when I originally purchased the tank lead me down a path of hair pulling and head scratching.

I subsequently caught up with the Red Sea Sales Manager for Asia Pacific and he gave me some information in relation to wet and dry skimming and the settings that I should be using on my particular skimmer. In fact the information presented to me was clear, concise and very useful.

I can gladly report, that I am no longer pulling my hair (What's left of it).

The unit itself is quite aggressive and my skimming has never been better.