PDA

View Full Version : DIY stand for a rimless 93 gallon glasscage tank

ReefRocks121212
08/06/2015, 09:05 AM
Tank background:
Dimensions 30x30x24
RR centered bottom drilled
Euro braced

I have to build a stand because the one that comes with tank won't fit through my basement doorway. :headwally: I was going to just copy the same design as the one it's currently on but, itís an open framed stand and when I looked one Glasscages website they require you to use a 3/4 Styrofoam between the bases.

Question (1):
Should I make mine with a hardwood or plywood surface and 3/4 Styrofoam?
or
Keep it as an open base?

Thanks
J

Shawn O
08/06/2015, 12:24 PM
If they require the styrofoam for warranty purposes it would be kinda foolish not to use it while the tank is under warranty. You could use an "open stand" and just glue a sheet of plywood on it then the styrofoam on top of that..

ReefRocks121212
08/06/2015, 03:49 PM
The tank is no longer under warranty. I purchased it used. I just want to make sure I build the stand the right way.

ericarenee
08/06/2015, 04:08 PM
I would def have the bottom sitting on foam that is on top of plywood.the foam helps absorb any warping of the base because of its foot print....

Is it possible to take the old stand apart to get it thru the door?

davocean
08/06/2015, 06:30 PM
This may sound overkill or out there at first, but can you remove the door trim and jamb/door complete?
In worst case scenarios I have removed a door w/ jamb complete, moved object in, re-install door in very little time, certainly less time than it takes to build a new stand.
Just a thought/suggestion.

ReefRocks121212
08/06/2015, 07:11 PM
There is no door trim its literally just wall. As far as taking a portion of the stand unloose, wouldn't that ruin the integrity of the stand?

davocean
08/06/2015, 07:24 PM
There is no door trim its literally just wall. As far as taking a portion of the stand unloose, wouldn't that ruin the integrity of the stand?

Depends on how it's built.
Pics

Bent
08/06/2015, 09:53 PM
I'd be widening the door.

soulpatch
08/07/2015, 01:25 PM
I would unscrew and reattach the stand in room.

This is why I am so thankful I have a the tanks in my walkout basement with a sliding glass door that I can easily take off to fit anything over 48 inches wide. If I need to take both glass planes off then I bought something that isn't going to fit in that room to begin with. HA HA

Ron Reefman
08/09/2015, 05:27 AM
I have 2 DIY tanks (65g shallow reef and 25g frag) that are completely rimless. I made the top of the stand with a Corian counter top (scrap from a local vendor) and only used thin yoga mat under the tanks. Three years later I've had no issues.

Bent
08/09/2015, 09:24 AM
I would unscrew and reattach the stand in room.

This is why I am so thankful I have a the tanks in my walkout basement with a sliding glass door that I can easily take off to fit anything over 48 inches wide. If I need to take both glass planes off then I bought something that isn't going to fit in that room to begin with. HA HA

That's because you are smarter than me.

Disassemble the stand and reassemble it in the room. That's the way to go.