PDA

View Full Version : need help

jminick2
08/06/2015, 05:24 PM
found a 200g tank and stand on Craigslist for 200 bucks, it's glass and there are no overflows and it's not drilled. I know how to drill it and I saw brs sells internal overflows, my tank now has a Durso plumbing set up.

with the brs internal overflows I wouldn't be able to do a Durso set up, the holes would have to be drilled in the back wall. are there any reliable plumbing methods that I could do with this? Thanks.

ericarenee
08/06/2015, 05:43 PM
You can do the dorso on a exterior box. Or even do a bean animal type drain system...

There are also hybrid setups of the two.. You just have to google Aquarium over flow designs

jminick2
08/07/2015, 11:18 AM
probably a dumb question but what size hole saw do I need ?

sleepydoc
08/07/2015, 11:59 AM
Congrats on the tank!

The size hole depends on the size bulkheads you choose, which in turn depends on what type of overflow system you are using and how much flow you are targeting.

You'll be hard pressed to get adequate flow for a 200 g tank using a durso. I strongly urge you to research Herbie & Beananimal overflows before proceeding much further. A bean animal system will probably do much better for you.

Tigerdragon
08/07/2015, 12:57 PM
Look at the Synergy ghost overflow

jminick2
08/07/2015, 01:24 PM
Congrats on the tank!

The size hole depends on the size bulkheads you choose, which in turn depends on what type of overflow system you are using and how much flow you are targeting.

You'll be hard pressed to get adequate flow for a 200 g tank using a durso. I strongly urge you to research Herbie & Beananimal overflows before proceeding much further. A bean animal system will probably do much better for you.

ty for the advice I'll check them out. I'm not opposed to this at all, durso is just all i have ever used for my 120g, and it worked well. herbie and bean animal are equally good in terms of quietness?

jminick2
08/07/2015, 01:25 PM
Look at the Synergy ghost overflow
I'll check it out thanks man

sleepydoc
08/07/2015, 02:07 PM
If you only want very low flow, a Durso will be fine. Otherwise, a bean is quieter, handles a far greater range of flows, is safer and easier to adjust. So yeah, a bean is better.

Herbies are really the best option if you have a pre-drilled tank with a corner overflow, but after running a herbie for 3 years I drilled by tank and set up a bean and am far happier.

jminick2
08/07/2015, 07:20 PM
bean it is.