PDA

View Full Version : Biocube lighting

Spacekitty
08/07/2015, 08:52 AM
Alright, so I have a biocube 14 with stock lighting.

(1) 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue
(1) 24 watt 10,000K Daylight
(1) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue LED Bar

I want to be able to keep stuff besides softies (even though they are cool). I want to be able to keep a variety of things and maybe try out some SPS or LPS. For that, I need better lighting. Any suggestions on what I should replace the bulbs with? Also, how would those suggestions affect the temperature? I don't want stronger lighting to cook my tank. I would prefer to keep the hood (cat), but I will consider removing it to have overhead lighting if I absolutely need to.

Spacekitty
08/07/2015, 10:41 AM
I have done a bit more research and after digging through a lot of posts that make no sense to me (I am not mechanically inclined, so lighting is a complicated subject for me), I encountered this: http://www.rapidled.com/solderless-cora ... rofit-kit/

Is that a recommended option?

chefbill
08/07/2015, 11:07 AM
Stock lighting WILL grow lps and some sps like birdsnest.

Spacekitty
08/07/2015, 11:22 AM
Stock lighting WILL grow lps and some sps like birdsnest.

Hm, I have been told over and over both by my LFS and on the forums that I don't have enough lighting. The LFS says I might have enough for birdsnest, but besides that I can only have softies, nothing solid. Lighting confuses me :(

CafeReef
08/07/2015, 11:28 AM
A lot of people with biocubes and AIO's that are similar will do Steve's LED's Retro kid, RapidLED's and NanoBox Retro Kits.

I personally did the NanoBox Retro Kit and have a bluefish controller for it. I grow SPS, LPS, softies, leathers and just added a BTA (not a coral but needs light none the less), everything grows crazy fast in my tank. couldnt be more happy with my lighting setup.

Spacekitty
08/07/2015, 11:45 AM
A lot of people with biocubes and AIO's that are similar will do Steve's LED's Retro kid, RapidLED's and NanoBox Retro Kits.

I personally did the NanoBox Retro Kit and have a bluefish controller for it. I grow SPS, LPS, softies, leathers and just added a BTA (not a coral but needs light none the less), everything grows crazy fast in my tank. couldnt be more happy with my lighting setup.

Thank you for the information. Glad to know I am starting to think in the right direction and that my research is turning out to be useless. I had heard of Steve's LEDs and RapidLEDs, but hadn't heard about NanoBox. I will have to research those as well.

chefbill
08/07/2015, 11:59 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/07/16e786b9999b63f7ff54648595de0302.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/07/afb8fecbe8b3dbcd3c611d7b76f6eb53.jpg

That is my biocube, completely stock lighting

Spacekitty
08/07/2015, 01:01 PM
I love the colors. What size cube is that?

archmod
08/08/2015, 10:38 AM
My brother has a biocube and can grow pretty much any zoa's/LPS he wants. He has grown a montipora cap as well (lower light SPS) but it was very high in the tank. The stock lighting could get you where you want to go but you would have to stop at most of the SPS.

chefbill
08/08/2015, 10:55 AM
29g

ghellin
08/08/2015, 11:54 AM
Rapid led is the way to go. PC bulbs are getting harder to find and replacing them is just as annoying. A rapid kit kit (especially a dimmable one) will give you great color and growth for what ever coral you choose. There are many build threads here they show you step by step what to do.

In saltwater everyone has their own sworn way of doing things and often people disagree. There are very few absolutes in this hobby as we are all learning new things daily.

homer1475
08/08/2015, 03:29 PM
I have the RapidLED Aurora puck hooked to an apex in my biocube.

While my corals absolutely love it over the stock lighting, I don't particularly care for the aesthetics. Because its such a small footprint LED, it's super bright in the middle and shaded on the sides.

Spacekitty
08/08/2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Has anyone used Steve's LED's and have any comments on that?

ghellin
08/08/2015, 05:05 PM
I am not a fan of the square tubing heatsinks they use, they don't cool as well and if the fans go out the LEDs can overheat and burn up. I strive to use the best quality LEDs which is generally Cree LEDs. They are more expensive but are just better in many ways.

Ls2Goat
08/08/2015, 07:34 PM
I can vouch for the rapidled bc14 retro fit, I've been using it for 6 months now and have as much growth as a year with the stock lights.

RG Rude
08/08/2015, 08:12 PM
I can vouch for the rapidled bc14 retro fit, I've been using it for 6 months now and have as much growth as a year with the stock lights.

Thank you for the positive review. I just ordered the LED upgrade from them for my tank.