PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer question

Sw1tchG3ar
08/09/2015, 01:17 PM
I have my skimmer running and its new so its filling my tank with micro bubbles and from all the posts and research I have done that Is completely normal until the skimmer has finished its break in period. My question is why does the protein skimmer have a break in period, why does it create all these micro bubbles and then one day just stop after its done with the break in process? What happens to the skimmer that makes it all of the sudden stop making the micro bubbles run out into the DT?

Ron Reefman
08/10/2015, 06:07 AM
Not sure where you got your info. Here's my take on it. Skimmers do need a break in period. The plastics end up getting a 'coating' that allows them to function better at getting big bubbles to the top of the skimmer. I find my skimmer works better right after I clean it, if I don't go crazy and try to remove all the 'slimy' film. Just rinse it off and get the heavy sludge off and put it back to work. If I clean off all the slim it takes the skimmer hours to get back up to speed.

But as far as micro bubbles going away... I'm not familiar with that process. I'd suggest you may have issues with them all the time. A good baffle between the skimmer section and the return section of your sump would help. Also consider a filter sock at the return from the skimmer. The water should be pretty clean coming out of the skimmer and might only need to be changed once every 4 weeks, maybe even longer.

metalmesh
08/10/2015, 01:17 PM
I have my skimmer running and its new so its filling my tank with micro bubbles and from all the posts and research I have done that Is completely normal until the skimmer has finished its break in period. My question is why does the protein skimmer have a break in period, why does it create all these micro bubbles and then one day just stop after its done with the break in process? What happens to the skimmer that makes it all of the sudden stop making the micro bubbles run out into the DT?

Here are the facts:
1.All skimmers create foam and bubbles, that is their job. After a break in period the amount usually decreases (the one coming out of the skimmer outlet).
2. Depending on the baffles surrounding the skimmer section, you may or may not see bubbles being blown in the aquarium by the return pump.
3. If you have an all-in-one aquarium without a sump, I will almost guarantee you that you will see bubbles in your aquarium because the tank manufacturers have not been able to figure out how to prevent bubbles from being blown back in your tank...there are a few exceptions.
4. This is a question of designing the baffles correctly along with foam filters to eliminate the bubbles from being returned to the aquarium.
5. Unfortunately the hobbyists always seem to blame the protein manufacturers for this situation while these manufacturers are forever trying to create more foam with very small bubbles ( the smaller the bubbles the more efficient the skimmer is).
6. It is eaysier to control bubbles in a sump assuming baffles are properly designed. Also the water level will always be the same which is hard to do in nano aquariums unless an ATO is used.

yellowRubi
08/10/2015, 01:49 PM
My Skimz skimmer is still spitting out crazy amount of microbubbles....
I been told that it will stop after the break in period, its been two months and is as bad as it was in the beginning, I have baffles and if I would add extra set if I would knew how the skimmer would be....
The skimmer works like a champ minus the microbubbles part:deadhorse1:

metalmesh
08/10/2015, 02:07 PM
My Skimz skimmer is still spitting out crazy amount of microbubbles....
I been told that it will stop after the break in period, its been two months and is as bad as it was in the beginning, I have baffles and if I would add extra set if I would knew how the skimmer would be....
The skimmer works like a champ minus the microbubbles part:deadhorse1:
As I said before, small bubbles may never quit coming out of the skimmer outlet.
I am assuming that your sump will not return the skimmer bubbles to your aquarium. If it does, the baffles are not designed to eliminate the bubbles. Did you use foam in the area where the skimmer outlet water flows over into it?
Like to see a pic of your sump to see if I can make other suggestions.

klwheat
08/10/2015, 05:27 PM
If you can post a pic of the sump setup, it'll help us get a better idea.