PDA

View Full Version : Adding House insulation - impact to fish, corals ????

beckerjm
08/10/2015, 07:56 AM
We need to add additional insulation to our house in the attic. My husband is looking at spray foam insulation. He has read and heard that this can be toxic to people - and that it is often recommended that people remain OUT of the house for 24 hrs when this is applied.

That's not an option for my fish and corals. Has anyone had experience with spray foam insulation? What did you do about your tanks and the inhabitants? Did you loose any animals (fish, inverts, corals) ?????

Shawn O
08/10/2015, 12:11 PM
Interesting question (and problem) yo have there. This is something I'd like to know as well. When we had to flea dip our cat we powdered the carpets with flea powder, let it sit for an hour and then vacuumed it up. This made such a dust cloud in the rooms with carpet that I had to go outside for a couple of hours. I covered the fish tank and land crab tank with doubled-up towels and shut off the skimmer and aquaclear for a couple of hours while the dust settled. All critters made it through fine but with your issue being toxic gasses and a longer period of time I have no clue how you would protect the fish tank during this. Other than tenting the tank and running a vent pipe from outside into the tent (reverse fumigation?) I see no way to keep the tank toxin-free. Best of luck to you and hopefully someone here who's had a similar experience will post how they dealt with it.

hotelbravo
08/10/2015, 12:31 PM
you can buy large sheets of plastic for just a few dollars at any store containing paint supplies. rap the entire tank up very well and run an air line out doors. turn off all other equipment until after everything has settled.
just my opinion

Newtybar
08/10/2015, 12:58 PM
i was going to suggest the same thing as hotel bravo.

Painters plastic liner. One concern would be the heat trapped in it though.

sdmarriott1
08/10/2015, 01:04 PM
I would not trust the plastic sheeting to block the vapors myself. Just not sure it is worth the chance.

oblio
08/10/2015, 01:15 PM
you can buy large sheets of plastic for just a few dollars at any store containing paint supplies. rap the entire tank up very well and run an air line out doors. turn off all other equipment until after everything has settled.
just my opinion

This is going to be your best bet, The quality of the plastic is irrelevant, as if you do what was suggested, and run an airline outside, plumb that into your skimmer or aerator of some sort. Your going to need to supply a decent mount of air here, basically if you can push enough air into the tank it will have a slight pressure, then the air in the room cant penetrate the tank.
Good luck

ericarenee
08/10/2015, 03:19 PM
I have been around this stuff being sprayed (well there may be different formulas )
And never really noticed that much of a smell at all .
I Would also say if they are doing the attic there would be no odor get inside the house..
On a Precaution side maybe cover it with fans in the windows blowing out.. Add Lots of carbon to the water and do a water change day after they are gone...

Maybe check with a few different companies that spray it in your area and compare there answers.......
the company we used was called echo bla bla something....