PDA

View Full Version : Marine orbit pro?

Fishkeeper44
08/10/2015, 09:10 PM
How strong are these lights? Can they keep hard corals like birds nests? Can anyone share there expirience with these lights?

Ron Reefman
08/11/2015, 07:05 AM
These fixtures have all the fancy bells and whistles you could want in an led fixture.

HOWEVER, they use leds that run at about 1/3rd to 1/2 watt which is very weak. Most other led fixtures (except Marineland) use 3.0 watt leds. They try to make up for the lack of power by having more leds. That works for a shallow tank, but not a deep one. If you are keeping zoas and mushrooms in a 12" deep tank, this fixture is more than enough. If you want to keep lps healthy and just keep sps in a basic 24" deep tank, DON"T BUY IT.

BTW, notice they even have a nice graph at their website that shows the output and the vertical axis is labled intensity and there are no units of measurement used, just numbers. Be very wary. I have a PAR meter and I owned (very past tense) a Marineland fixture (similar to this one) and I've tested a couple of Orbit fixtures for fellow club members, they work, just not very well.

There are lots of other sellers with fixtures that have similar features and similar prices that use 3w leds.

SaltwaterAq
08/11/2015, 01:10 PM
Ron,

Are you referencing the first generation orbit or the new Orbit Pro?

BM3
08/11/2015, 02:05 PM
I did a lot of research on the Marine Orbit "Pro" and after comparing and seeing it in person... I decided to go with a reef breeders Photon for the reason Ron Reefman mentioned. In my opinion, the LED output just did not compare to the other high output LEDs on the market. The light seemed to have more of a reddish hue as well which I was not a big fan of.
Check out the reef breeders photon or even the reef breeders value fixtures.

Fishkeeper44
08/11/2015, 09:13 PM
Ron,

The new orbit pro.

Ron Reefman
08/12/2015, 07:11 AM
Ron,

The entire Current Orbit Marine Pro line up run leds at just over 0.5 watts. Their own webpage has a chart that lists how many total leds and how many watts each fixture has and the are all just a bit better than 0.5 watts per led.

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/

They can work, but the deeper your tank is, the less PAR you'll see. At 24" you'll be keeping mushroom corals. And that's running it at full power. If you have a 10" to 18" deep tank, you'll have better luck. But why buy weak leds? Just because they have all the fancy electronics to do sunrise/sunset? IMHO you're better off buying better light (3 watt leds) with less options.

Ron Reefman
08/12/2015, 07:14 AM
The entire Current Orbit Marine Pro line up run leds at just over 0.5 watts. Their own webpage has a chart that lists how many total leds and how many watts each fixture has and the are all just a bit better than 0.5 watts per led.

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/

They can work, but the deeper your tank is, the less PAR you'll see. At 24" you'll be keeping mushroom corals. And that's running it at full power. If you have a 10" to 18" deep tank, you'll have better luck. But why buy weak leds? Just because they have all the fancy electronics to do sunrise/sunset? IMHO you're better off buying better light (3 watt leds) with less options.

I have 4 tanks and 2 refugium with a total of 7 led fixtures. I use OceanRevive, ReefRadiance and ReefBreeders. They all sell fixtures made by the same manufacturer in China, EverGrow. Two of those are sponsors here at RC. Check out their forums and see how much they help out their customers.