PDA

View Full Version : Banggai Cardinal ?

2_zoa
08/10/2015, 10:51 PM
I'm sure this is up on the broads somewhere. Sorry to just post this but I've gotta get to bed and I've noticed something different in my tank.

I have two Banggai and one of them has an enlarged mouth/jaw area. It's my understanding that they carry their babies in their mouths. This fish isn't eating but it's along the side of the other fish while it eats. Their behavior has changed a bit as they like to be real close and they hide a bit more then usual.

If they are expecting, what can I do to increase the chances of the little ones living? I wasn't trying to breed them so I'm totally unprepared.

Any help would be great.

kizanne
08/11/2015, 08:24 AM
Well if they just started this behavior you have at least 3 weeks to get ready.

I'd improve the odds by closer to the date moving the boy to a breeders net or separate tank. There are lots of ways and things to feed the babies. You have time read up and pick your strategy. The first time they often don't hold until it is time to let go and end up eating the babies so you might have longer than 3 weeks.

friedwilly
08/11/2015, 10:28 AM
Congrats!!! I am in the same boat.

I noticed about 4 days ago that my male Bangaii had an extended jaw and wasn't eating. I knew right away what was going on, as this was something I read about when researching Bangaii's for purchase.

In any case I am going to try to successfully keep the babies. I came across this great read and I recommend you read it too.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1990387&highlight=bangaii+breeding

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

ginpang
08/11/2015, 01:38 PM
Congrats even if it wasn't your goal to do so.... But kizanne is right you have time since first time fathers take a few dry runs usually before getting it right. Especially for mouth brooders. I had a couple of pearly jawfish a while back and it took 6 times before I had free swimming larvae . Prior to that he would get fed up and start swallowing eggs and babies.

2_zoa
08/12/2015, 07:56 AM
Thank you all for the help. Hopefully he won't ditch them or make a meal out of them. I watched him for a bit last night and watched him open his mouth a bit and shuffle the eggs around a bit. So cool and very interesting.

I'm glad I have some time. I have either a 2.5 gallon or a 5 gallon tank that I can setup to try and raise them in. Which one would any of you all choose? I'm thinking about the 5 gallon. I'm gonna make a faux urchin this afternoon. I remember reading about this idea in coral mag IIRC. I'm glad I have a stick of putty kicking in the drawer. I've also seen it done in a couple threads now too. I've still got some more learning to do.

Again, thank you all for the help. It gave me some relief as I want to see the little ones live.

friedwilly
09/28/2015, 11:01 AM
Mine ate the first batch.

Then about 4 weeks later, he is carrying the second batch. He has been carrying the second batch for about 20 days.

I will be isolating him this week and eventually moving him and the fry to a quarantine tank.

Wish me luck!!!

rsisvixen
09/28/2015, 03:46 PM
Mine also just started, carried for 5 days before he swallowed them.

friedwilly
10/01/2015, 10:32 AM
Success!!!!!!!!!!!!! After 5 hours of trying to catch my male Banggai, I finally got him in a breeder and have 8 babies. The male is still not eating, which he may still be holding more.

kizanne
10/03/2015, 08:04 PM
Congratz! post some pictures of your babies.

Lrood
10/06/2015, 05:33 PM
He is probably still holding some. My male always took 2-3 days to release them all. My biggest clutch was 24, but I have read of others having as many as 40 fry in a clutch!