PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Choice for 2500-3000 Gallon System

codyr
08/11/2015, 04:49 AM
Hi all,

Still working out the details for my upgrade to the propagation system.

I am currently up to skimmer selection, the system volume is approx. 2,500 Gallons total. I also want the scalability for the skimmer to be upgraded to a maximum of about 4000 gallons (If I expand the premises) without being too oversized for the current system.

I have been looking around on the different skimmers available for something in the commercial range. However there doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews available for skimmers of this size.

After looking into it the private range of Skimz skimmers looking quite good. I have looked into the Skims ST500 TurboMagnum which is suited to 4300 Gallons.

Here is a link here: http://skimz.sg/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=112

If anyone has opinions on the skimz range of commercial skimmers id love to hear it. Or if people have other recommendations that would be great so I can look into them.

Ideally the best price vs performance the best but my budget is no more than $4,000 for the skimmer so that may limit me on some top end products.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Cody

platypusklr
08/11/2015, 05:37 AM
Ever thought of a skimmer "Bank". I walked through an open house with a 3000 gallon mixed reef in corpus cristi texas. He had 5 lifereef 72's on Mag 12's. I wish i could have gotten pics of it. Each skimmer ran off a dedicated circulation loop from a differant outflow from the DT. One of the best systems i have ever seen. Filter was a 3󫶗 acrylic covered raceway trench about 12 feet long in the basement full of liverock with god knows how many hermits and cuc crew. Even had a custom 18 inch deep 250 gallon clam "scrubber" with at least 20 12-16 inch tridacnids in it. Calk rea ter was a home build 55 gallon barrel!

codyr
08/11/2015, 06:38 AM
Sounds like an amazing setup i'm sure it would have been a great walk through.

I have thought into that idea, I currently run a series of Vertex skimmers for the current system which is approx 1000 gallons. Its good in the sense that I don't have all of my eggs in one basket if I do have a skimmer failure.

However it does look like I get a great amount of value in a commercial system though and the skimz has dual recirc pumps which reduces the likelihood of failure of two pumps at the same time.

The idea of an external skimmer does appeal to a certain extent but I haven't ruled out a few medium external/internal skimmers

markandamb
08/11/2015, 06:57 AM
On a system that big you might want two smaller skimmers (for safety in case one clonks out)...i ran a hurricane cat 3 and man it was nice however i think it was only rated for 1500 gallons.. but i loved it.

codyr
08/11/2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. I may have to look into it two larger skimmers would certainly do the job.

I have sent away for a price on two of the Skimz ST300 rated for 1500 gallons each. And also a price on the ST600 with an additional set of spare pumps.

With redundancy in check on both options, I guess ill wait back on price to make a decision.

If anyone has any other views or recommendations for a commercial size skimmer I'd love to hear it to make a comparison with the Skimz range.

nuxx
08/11/2015, 08:35 PM
I kind of agree on the idea of having multiple smaller skimmers as well...

Also adds a nice bit of redundancy to what will surely be a very expensive and complex system.

Can't wait to hear more about the setup :)