PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Calcium Reactor Supplemented with Dosing

codyr
08/11/2015, 06:37 AM
Hi All,

As the topic states I am querying the use of a calcium reactor supplemented with dosing pumps, just getting my thoughts out there.

Currently I dose 3 part in the old system (1000g) upgrading to 2500g.

I bring corals in and out regularly so requirements do vary considerably from time to time.

My thoughts after much research was to run a calcium reactor at a base stocking line to supplement most of my ca/alk/mg needs and then continue to use the dosing pumps to make the supplementary doses required to keep everything in check depending on system load. Also the idea of some other elements being supplemented does sound like a nice idea.

I have done plenty of research on the reactor and the pros and cons of each and I have used 3 part for quite a while and I have no problems with it, it is an easy accurate method of supplementing the system.

My main reason for leaning towards having a reactor for most of the dosing is the time taken to make up the 3 part batches whilst keeping them at a reasonable size both in the batch (sediment in alk) and in the dosing container (Keeping risk of overdosing due to some malfunction down - which im not sure if that is common or has even happened a controllable dosing unit, other than operator error).

To alleviate the above I could use a Hanna stirrer to reduce sediment and also increase the strength of Randys recipe to make the batches last longer. which would remove the need for the reactor.

I am also thinking (correct me if i'm wrong) that it might be a more cost effective method once setup, other than the initial equipment outlay of the reactor. (I already have the apex, powerstrip, spare PH probe, feed pump etc, so its only chamber reactor media and c02/solenoid that I would require)

Plenty of thoughts can't decide...:headwallblue:

Any opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

dendrite
08/11/2015, 01:41 PM
I have been doing just that for over a year using a MRC calcium reactor along reborn media, set at 6.6 which supplies the alk and calcium needs for a very heavily stocked 180 gallon mixed reef with five clams and fish,and 50 gallon refugium. The reactor supplies probably ninety percent of the tank's needs but I am loathe to increase the flow or further drop the pH below 6.6. The use of the supplemental dosing serves to close the gap and is an easy and convenient way to make small adjustments in Ca and Carbonate without disturbing the stability of the reactor. A gallon of carbonate and calcium soln lasts me about three months with a dkh of 8, and calcium of 440.Magnesium sulfate/chloride is also dosed but KZ makes magnesium chips for the reactor that I have just ordered.

reefforums
08/11/2015, 02:26 PM
Hi All,
My thoughts after much research was to run a calcium reactor at a base stocking line to supplement most of my ca/alk/mg needs and then continue to use the dosing pumps to make the supplementary doses required to keep everything in check depending on system load. Also the idea of some other elements being supplemented does sound like a nice idea.

I think that is the best way to do it, especially if you have a fair population of SPS that will consume large quantities of the minerals liberated by the CaRX. Fine tuning with liquid supplements is the perfect way to maintain (ideally natural) levels of all the minerals and provide for what the media in the reactor may not.

Of course nothing beats regular monitoring of those parameters to ensure an optimal environment for your aquariums inhabitants so be sure not to set-n-forget! :)

-Jeff

codyr
08/11/2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like its going to be a solid method of keeping the tank in check.

I'll definitely grab a dual chamber reactor so I can try to keep the PH up as high as I can.

One last quick question about sizing a reactor. Whats your opinions on keeping an undersized unit in optimum operation say something suited to about 2000 gallons or getting an oversized reactor as I am with other equipment so I have the option to expand in future.

Is there any inherit negative effects having an oversized reactor running at a lower output. I assume there isn't as not everyone runs their reactor at the same rate to produce the same amount of effluent.

Although I assume they still size their reactor as close as possible to their needs. If I were to oversize I would be thinking something around the 3500-4000 Gallon mark to allow me for room for expansion in the future and as mentioned earlier the reactor would only be used on a 2500 gallon system to start with.

ca1ore
08/11/2015, 08:00 PM
Not entirely sure how a calcium reactor is 'sized' necessarily. maybe there's some science to it, or maybe it's the same hooey used to size skimmers. with enough media, no reason it cannot supply all your alk and calcium needs. though having dosing on hand just in case it a good idea.