PDA

View Full Version : Snorkling and live stocking!

Abum7ammed
08/11/2015, 09:15 AM
Hello Guys,

I enjoy so much snorkeling and discovering new sea creatures which sometimes i catch and bring home to my aquarium, however i don't know most what i catch, so help me figuring out what these creatures are and under what categories or family they can be, and how much aquarium friendly they are.

hotelbravo
08/11/2015, 09:18 AM
Where do we start?

Abum7ammed
08/11/2015, 09:23 AM
I'm new to this forum, I'm figuring out how to post my photos

Abum7ammed
08/11/2015, 09:30 AM
I'll start by the following which i found on the sand 2meters above water and it was the only one of its kind that i found
https://map8mg-bn1306.files.1drv.com/y3pztE26lZzSDDYC_5eVt2HE8OBBZOiS_nnJTJiNLTOiUi9fvVlEgx8bR4uxgivt2fPZZlhWQr7zlQZfWw7C5iVvIaP-EwneI74x-NBS3hYmjSl6Javr5FUR3rCdIIpoTxg1gSgeSf_5OW8CUAiM-ktaw/DSC_0015.JPG?psid=1

Abum7ammed
08/11/2015, 09:31 AM
Wops, i messed up

Calappidae
08/11/2015, 09:32 AM
You can upload your photos to sites like imgur and then copy the original image URL with (IMG)(/IMG) before and after it. *replace () with []*

EDIT: you figured it out,

That would be a sand dollar. They are sand sifters like sand sifting starfish, usually don't make it.. but not that many people have them either.

Abum7ammed
08/11/2015, 09:43 AM
Expressive! Well It's been in my tank for 2 weeks now hope it survives.

I'm very glad to be in this forum! I'll post more photos later on.
Thanks

Shawn O
08/13/2015, 10:29 AM
Probably best to research creatures before bringing them home to your tank.

Betta132
08/14/2015, 01:24 AM
Definitely research. That sand dollar is going to die, it's just going to starve very slowly. A lot of species will either die in an aquarium or kill everything else. Also, some things may not be legal to collect. In fact, depending on where you are, you might need specific permits to collect anything at all.
I highly suggest looking into the local laws regarding collection. Also, purchase ID guides and learn what is in the area. First of all, learn if you have any endangered species, and DO NOT collect them. Second, learn what will hurt you if you touch it. Third, learn what is doomed to die. Fourth, learn what will kill everything else. Fifth, learn how to properly care for whatever you're collecting, then go out with those specific species in mind. It's the only responsible thing to do.
The ability to collect your own specimens is an awesome thing to have, but it has to be done legally and responsibly. Too many people collecting irresponsibly, and we end up with damaged ecosystems and laws that prevent any sort of collecting at all.

Ron Reefman
08/14/2015, 02:13 AM
Care to tell us where in the world you are located?

I'm in SW Florida and I do collect some things wild from the waters of the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Keys. But I know the local laws, I have the necessary licenses and I have a pretty good idea about what will and what won't survive in my tanks. And if I'm unsure, I photograph it, investigate and research info about it and then decide if it will work or not.

Shawn O
08/15/2015, 09:56 AM
Mrs. O thought the cute little pink starfish that started appearing in our tide pools were cute. Long story short, came home from work to find it eating one of my Scarlet hermits. It's best to know before finding out the hard way.