PDA

View Full Version : help with quieting down GH overflow...sounds like a train.

Devaji108
08/11/2015, 09:14 PM
Hey all,
OK tank specs:
40br with drilled GH 700 GPH overflow kit.1/5" pipes
only 1 union and 2- 45's going to sump.
running around 400 GPH through sump and tank .

overflow is very nosy. lots of air bubbles and a chucking noise so I guess there is not a full siphon. it the nosiest tank I have ever set up.

any thoughts on how to quite it down?

cheers
:beer:

Devaji108
08/11/2015, 09:15 PM
I'll try to see if I can get a video...

ColinAbi
08/11/2015, 11:42 PM
Does it sound like all the water in the tubes/pvc are coming into the sump at once?

Devaji108
08/12/2015, 12:43 AM
yeah kinda. it's pumping or pulsating. you can see it in the bubbles.

Devaji108
08/12/2015, 12:44 AM
almost like its starting and stopping the siphon.

ColinAbi
08/12/2015, 01:00 AM
With my 60 gal DT and 60 gal sump, my pump was too slow to pump the water into the DT so when the water got into the overflow box, the water was immediately dumped into the sump so there was never a siphon. I closed the valve about 1/4 of the way and now the water stays in the pvc all the time for a siphon. Try closing the valve a bit.

Devaji108
08/12/2015, 09:33 AM
hmmm intrusting thought, however i did not add any gate or ball values to the plumbing.
GH recommends very simple plumbing.

one thing that they did say was once the bulk head was in the tank to trim it down so only I think a 1/4 was sticking out. I did not do this. did any of you guy do this step??

Harry Muscle
08/12/2015, 10:08 AM
Just to clarify things ... Glass Holes overflows are not meant to have a full siphon ... that would be a disaster waiting to happen if you aimed for a full siphon with just one drain pipe.

Thanks,
Harry

Devaji108
08/12/2015, 10:19 AM
oh, ok well thanks for correcting my terminology, that said it so loud it crazy.
I am getting both a water flowing and chugging noise.

from the videos I watched on youtube it seam like mine is 2X or more as noisy.

I did take a video with my phone just not sure how to UP load it now..

Johnseye
08/12/2015, 12:48 PM
Just to clarify things ... Glass Holes overflows are not meant to have a full siphon ... that would be a disaster waiting to happen if you aimed for a full siphon with just one drain pipe.

Thanks,
Harry

I'm in a similar situation for my frag tank. Single overflow with a single return. I've raised my overflow tube so it's near the top and I've exchanged it with a tube with a top in the middle of the overflow and I've removed the overflow tube all together. None of it matters. Water flows down with a very loud drain slurp and when it hits the sump below it sounds like a waterfall. My lower tube is fed about an inch or two below the water line.

I was looking online for a solution and thought of putting a gate valve on the lower overflow tube. I believe this would in effect create a siphon. A similar setup to a herbie. Why would I not want to create a siphon with a single drain?

Allentown
08/12/2015, 01:29 PM
I put a sponge at the top of my filter sock and stuck a couple air hoses down the over flow pipe. Crude but effective

ColinAbi
08/12/2015, 01:40 PM
Is the flow adjustable on your pumps?

Johnseye
08/12/2015, 02:28 PM
Is the flow adjustable on your pumps?

Yup, I'm using a DC pump. Right now it's on the lowest flow. When I crank it up it just gets louder. I guess I could put a gate valve on the return but it's not much flow on the lowest setting.

Kyuss
08/12/2015, 03:52 PM
Do you guys have the drain pipes below the water line in the sump? I have mine cut at an angle starting right near the water line and while it's not silent it's not that noisy, and I have my tank a few feet off to the side of my TV with only a screen top (ie no glass tops or canopy to block the noise.)

I run filter socks as well, and the drains definitely make more noise when the filter socks start to raise the water level up the drain pipes.

Devaji108
08/12/2015, 04:37 PM
yeah mine is about 6-8 inches below the water line. no filter sock
I get the waterfall noise from the overflow box and slurping gurgling noise from the pipe.
defiantly air in the pipe and rumbling water?

Kyuss
08/12/2015, 05:08 PM
Yeah then you're getting air trapped in the drain pipe at the sump.

It's difficult to get an actual pic of mine, so here's a quick paint pic of what I mean. This allows the air to escape rather easily while keeping the water splashing sound in the sump to a minimum.
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv24/IcePickFreak/Misc/Drain_zpsrajjllym.jpg

Johnseye
08/12/2015, 10:44 PM
So I shortened the drain pipe in overflow a bit so it could be submerged and then I put a gate valve on the drain pipe going into the sump. It's now quiet as a baby. Just like my herbie on my DT, it just doesn't have an emergency drain. Considering it has only one drain regardless, complete blockage of that drain is a problem.

I'm convinced the gate valve is the correct method. The loudest thing now is the DC pump.

Devaji108
08/13/2015, 12:47 AM
hey John glad you got yours dialed in.
i'll see if I have time to shorten the pipe going in to the sump and see if that help!
about how much should the pipe in the water 2"?

Johnseye
08/13/2015, 07:47 AM
hey John glad you got yours dialed in.
i'll see if I have time to shorten the pipe going in to the sump and see if that help!
about how much should the pipe in the water 2"?

The more distance below from where the water comes over the overflow the louder the trickle will be unless the drain pipe in the overflow is submerged. This is how it's done with a herbie. To submerge the drain pipe you need to use the gate valve to control the amount of flow coming from the DT to the sump. Once you slow that flow the water level should rise just above the drain pipe, become silent and the waterfall in the sump quiets down as well.

See this for an explanation keeping in mind we only have 1 drain.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Devaji108
08/13/2015, 10:24 AM
thanks for the link.
I'll have to take a look at it later. but I am thinking my GH overflow hole to sump would be underwater as it's pretty low in the box, but maybe not.

how much did you have to turn down your flow with the gate?

Devaji108
08/13/2015, 10:48 AM
OK I had a few min to read through the link.
my plan as of now is to:
1. trim my return plumbing to only 1" under water level in sump. if that does not help
2. add a gate valve to match siphon to water flow form pump.
3. if none of these help plug the hole and just go HOB Skimmer and call it good.

but i have a feeling I can get in dialed in... never had this problem with all my other tanks about 6 or so now.

booyaa138
08/13/2015, 10:50 AM
I'm running the 1500 GH kit on my tank. (two 1 1/s drains) Mine was loud for the first 3 to 5 days and then it got a lot quieter. How did you do your return plumbing? Do you have a valve on the return? I put a gates valve on the return line and dialed it in. Also I'm running flex pvc for my drain. It's cut just below the water line.

Johnseye
08/13/2015, 11:18 AM
thanks for the link.
I'll have to take a look at it later. but I am thinking my GH overflow hole to sump would be underwater as it's pretty low in the box, but maybe not.

how much did you have to turn down your flow with the gate?

I had to turn down the flow quite a bit with the gate. It's more closed than open. I'm using a DC return pump and started with the fastest flow setting scaling that back first as I want to have the fastest flow possible. Then once I found that setting on the pump I dialed in the gate so I couldn't hear anything, essentially with the water line in the overflow just over the drain.

Devaji108
08/13/2015, 01:41 PM
I'm running the 1500 GH kit on my tank. (two 1 1/s drains) Mine was loud for the first 3 to 5 days and then it got a lot quieter. How did you do your return plumbing? Do you have a valve on the return? I put a gates valve on the return line and dialed it in. Also I'm running flex pvc for my drain. It's cut just below the water line.

for my return I am using ultra flex PVC and for the overflow ABS 1.5" PVC
no gate valve as I did not think I would need to dial it down is only pushing 400GPH tops.

I am gonna try cutting the PVC to 1" below water line and go from there.

Devaji108
08/13/2015, 01:43 PM
I had to turn down the flow quite a bit with the gate. It's more closed than open. I'm using a DC return pump and started with the fastest flow setting scaling that back first as I want to have the fastest flow possible. Then once I found that setting on the pump I dialed in the gate so I couldn't hear anything, essentially with the water line in the overflow just over the drain.

so your saying you closed the overflow down quite a bit almost closed? is that not a problem waiting to happen?

or are you talking about the return.

booyaa138
08/13/2015, 01:48 PM
Is this the kit you used?

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

It says to have a continuous flow of 200 to 500 gph. Maybe you have more then you think?

booyaa138
08/13/2015, 01:49 PM
Also I would cut the return and put a valve in. I wouldn't put a valve on the drain side.

Johnseye
08/13/2015, 04:04 PM
so your saying you closed the overflow down quite a bit almost closed? is that not a problem waiting to happen?

or are you talking about the return.

I closed down the overflow, not almost closed but more closed than wide open. Same design as a herbie in the website I shared. Why would it be a problem waiting to happen?

Devaji108
08/13/2015, 05:26 PM
Is this the kit you used?

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

It says to have a continuous flow of 200 to 500 gph. Maybe you have more then you think?

Also I would cut the return and put a valve in. I wouldn't put a valve on the drain side.

yes sir thats the one i have.
i did trim the PVC so its 1" inch below the water line helped some but not much.
i'll go get a gate and try that.

yeah maybe I do have more than I think. guess i should check it...

Devaji108
08/13/2015, 05:31 PM
I closed down the overflow, not almost closed but more closed than wide open. Same design as a herbie in the website I shared. Why would it be a problem waiting to happen?

I was thinking with no emergency it could get clogged?
how do you plan for that?
I was thinking I could run a brush through once in a while. every moth or so to make sure there is no build up.

I am just suppressed they say 1.5 inch PVC then we need to close it off some to restrict the flow... I know every system is different.

hope it works I wanna get some saltwater in this tank and enjoy it!

Devaji108
08/13/2015, 05:39 PM
wow! $100 bucks for a 1.5 spears gate valve from amazon.
***... I am missing something here?

Johnseye
08/13/2015, 06:38 PM

Go to Premium Aquatics. Spears are not cheap. You could get away with a true union ball valve.

Harry Muscle
08/13/2015, 07:17 PM
The use of a valve on a drain limits the amount of water that can be drained to be just a little more than you're pumping back into the tank. This is a very dangerous and fine line to walk unless you have a secondary drain that will be used if for some reason the drain capacity diminishes (something gets stuck inside) or the pump capacity increases (freshly cleaned pump).

Even a 1gpg difference can flood your tank within a fairly short period of time (several hours). So unless you're watching your tank 24/7, have a second emergency drain, have float switches to shut of the pump, or don't care about gallons of water on the floor, restricting the drain is a very bad idea.

Thanks,
Harry

Johnseye
08/13/2015, 08:46 PM
The use of a valve on a drain limits the amount of water that can be drained to be just a little more than you're pumping back into the tank. This is a very dangerous and fine line to walk unless you have a secondary drain that will be used if for some reason the drain capacity diminishes (something gets stuck inside) or the pump capacity increases (freshly cleaned pump).

Even a 1gpg difference can flood your tank within a fairly short period of time (several hours). So unless you're watching your tank 24/7, have a second emergency drain, have float switches to shut of the pump, or don't care about gallons of water on the floor, restricting the drain is a very bad idea.

Thanks,
Harry

Whether you restrict the drain or not, with a one drain overflow, if that drain clogs you have problems. A float switch that will turn off the pump is the best solution other than another drain.

Granted using a valve can increase the chance of a blockage slightly, but if you put a strainer on the drain and keep that clean you minimize the risk. Gate and ball valves are used on almost every aquarium with a sump.

The alternative is an aquarium that sounds like Niagara Falls and that's not an option for me.

booyaa138
08/13/2015, 08:52 PM

Check Marine Depot. That's were I bought mine.

booyaa138
08/13/2015, 08:54 PM
Why do you need a 1.5inch valve? I would bet your return is smaller then that.

kewadiak
08/13/2015, 09:36 PM
If your looking foR a good 1 1/2 gate valve cheap these are awesome always use them on my drains http://www.amazon.com/King-Brothers-Inc-GVP-1500-S-Schedule/dp/B000H5ZZZI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439523306&sr=8-2&keywords=King+brother+1+1%2F2+gate

MarksReef
08/14/2015, 08:46 AM
I have the same as you.
First, you need 2 of the mesh things inside the overflow (GH sent me another) folded in half for each side. This alone will stop most of the noise everywhere.
I also put a 45 at the end of the return, underwater, inside filter sock.
For added quietness, I put pipe insulation (home depot) around the pipes.
She's all quiet now next to the couch, TV...

Devaji108
08/14/2015, 02:09 PM
^ hmmm interesting i'll give that a try.

Harry yeah I hear you my friend but i gotta quite this tank down. NO it's not ideal, but with regular cleaning and maybe a float stwich to turn off pump. prob the way i am gonna go.

booyaa138
08/14/2015, 02:30 PM
Is this the mesh you are talking about?

http://www.glass-holes.com/Enkamat-12-x-13-enkamat.htm

This is what I have in mine also

MarksReef
08/14/2015, 02:39 PM
Is this the mesh you are talking about?

http://www.glass-holes.com/Enkamat-12-x-13-enkamat.htm

This is what I have in mine also
Yes, I could never get it quiet with just one. GH sent me one for free. it was his idea.

Devaji108
08/14/2015, 06:06 PM
yup thats the stuff i'll try that as well.

TylerHaworth
08/14/2015, 06:36 PM
Omg do not restrict your drain... It will flood.

TylerHaworth
08/14/2015, 06:48 PM
The gushing is the result of the air/water mixture not flowing smoothly.

You need to do one or more of the following:

1) restrict your return pump

2) have the drain terminate closer to the water line

3) allow the system to draw in more air (GH overflows have the airline at the top of the elbow, make it bigger)

oseymour
08/15/2015, 06:56 AM
I have a couple of friends that have this overflow and we all do different things to quiet it down.

I bought a larger piece of enkamat on eBay and made sure it went down all the way in the overflow box. I also stuff a piece of enkamat to the top of my filter socks which stops the sounds when the water was falling into the filter socks.

http://i.imgur.com/5EIFyHA.jpg

Devaji108
08/15/2015, 11:11 AM
^ thanks yeah i'll try that. i am sure it will help some of the trickling sound.
still thinking about a ball valve on the overflow... I know not ideal but what can you do..

TylerHaworth
08/15/2015, 12:29 PM
do what you want, but restricting your only drain is absolutely begging for catastrophe.

10x turnover is much higher than most people run anyway... What is your big aversion to restricting the return?

Devaji108
08/18/2015, 11:26 AM
Tyler,
i really dont have an aversion to restricting the return. maybe i'll give it I try.
the pump I am using is the rio 1700+ @ 4 feet of head its at 352 GPH.
then one 90 elbow. so guessing 300ish GPH

i'll just hate the thought of adding something if I dont not work. but on the other hand if it does I'll be dancing for joy. guess i'll give it a shot and see.

Devaji108
08/18/2015, 01:25 PM
OK i got a ball valve and gonna try to add that to the return line. lets see if I can dail it in.
also ordered some enkamat from ebay as well. it time i get this worked out. or else I am going a different way...