PDA

View Full Version : Straight Down to Sump or Twist and Turn

Harry Muscle
08/12/2015, 10:05 AM
I'm wondering which drain plumbing configuration would produce less noise ... a straight shot down to the sump or a few 45 degree elbows on the way to the sump?

At first I would think a straight path to the sump would be the quietest, however, I'm wondering if that would allow the water to accelerate too much and cause noise because of that ... the introduction of a couple 45 degree turns might slow the water down and cause less noise ... or would they just cause turbulence and make more noise?

BTW, I'm working with a non siphon drain.

Thanks,
Harry

BrettDS
08/12/2015, 10:07 AM
How long of a run are you talking about?

Also, what noise are you concerned about? The water running through the pipes or the water flowing into the sump?

Frankly a siphon type drain will probably be the quietest all around, so you may want to consider that.

Harry Muscle
08/12/2015, 10:10 AM
How long of a run are you talking about?

Also, what noise are you concerned about? The water running through the pipes or the water flowing into the sump?

Frankly a siphon type drain will probably be the quietest all around, so you may want to consider that.
I would be more concerned about the noise in the pipes. As for doing a full siphon drain, I only have one hole drilled in the tank and was going to go with a Glass Holes setup.

Thanks
Harry

DocHogan
08/13/2015, 08:14 AM
IMO if your only going to do one drain in the tank I would do a durso with low flow return and use a flex hose with at reverse question mark bend. If you do two drains I would do a herbie style with a full siphon with a gate value on the main return to dial in the siphon. Just make sure your emergency drain is the same size as the main. Your going to have more noise with the durso but it can be managed by reducing the flow and using a powerhead inside the tank.

BlackTip
08/13/2015, 08:23 AM
I'm wondering which drain plumbing configuration would produce less noise ... a straight shot down to the sump or a few 45 degree elbows on the way to the sump?

At first I would think a straight path to the sump would be the quietest, however, I'm wondering if that would allow the water to accelerate too much and cause noise because of that ... the introduction of a couple 45 degree turns might slow the water down and cause less noise ... or would they just cause turbulence and make more noise?

BTW, I'm working with a non siphon drain.

Thanks,
Harry

That really depends on the ratio of the flow rate and the pipe diameter. Bigger ratio will cause more noise. Also, it depends on the length and height of water drop. In general, what I think, a straight pipe is better for short drop (few feet). If the drop is long, few turns should lower the noise. A flex PVC twisted zig-zagged should work.