PDA

View Full Version : Reeflo Hammerhead seal...

SeaEscapes
08/12/2015, 05:00 PM
Does anyone have a link or an instruction manual on how to replace the seal on the Reeflo hammerhead pump?

billdogg
08/12/2015, 05:24 PM
reeflo website does.

hth

SeaEscapes
08/12/2015, 05:43 PM
I tried, the link for the manual is only displaying the cover page.... doh

hk855
08/12/2015, 06:29 PM
I expect they are like most other shaft driven pumps.
Remove the fron half of the housing, that's the 6-8 small bolts
Remove the impeller, sometimes this is a backwards bolt so left is tight right is loose.
Remove the second half of the housing, usually 4 large bolts that hold it to the motor.
Pop the seal out from the back side of the housing, and push in the new one.
Repeat above steps backwards, usually pumps are built using locktite on the bolts, I rarely use it when replacing seals but sometimes it's nice to add peace of mind, don't over tighten anything just get them nice and snug and look out for o ring placement on the housing.

ericarenee
08/13/2015, 09:45 AM
I expect they are like most other shaft driven pumps.
Remove the fron half of the housing, that's the 6-8 small bolts
Remove the impeller, sometimes this is a backwards bolt so left is tight right is loose.
Remove the second half of the housing, usually 4 large bolts that hold it to the motor.
Pop the seal out from the back side of the housing, and push in the new one.
Repeat above steps backwards, usually pumps are built using locktite on the bolts, I rarely use it when replacing seals but sometimes it's nice to add peace of mind, don't over tighten anything just get them nice and snug and look out for o ring placement on the housing.

This is close.. But the seal does not seal on the shaft its a Floating seal

TO do this..
First Do not touch the seal surfaces with your fingers... THE Ring that goes on the impeller or its mating surface. including the inside..

You need a big flat head screw driver 3/8 wrench 1/2 wrench and small amount of Silicone and some alcohol and cotton swab...
1 . Unplug it .
2. Remove the Front cover bolts
3. With the flat head screwdriver STUCK into the back center of the pump to hold the impeller . Turn Counter clockwise the impeller to remove it.
4. With screwdriver remove the ceramic plate and rubber seal on the back of the impeller
5. Remove the Cover bolts from motor 4 1/2 bolts....
6. Lay the cover face down on a flat surface . Taking a socket that just fits inside the hole (same size as the new seal) Drive the seal out.
7. Clean up the cover and impeller. If they are very bad Soak in Vinegar/ water solution for a bit ,
. Re assembly

1. Be sure the cover is clean inside the seal placement area.
2. put a small amount of silicone on the metal ring on the back of the seal and push into place..Making sure you push it all the way back. and flush.
3. Push the Ceremic Disk with the rubber back into the impeller...

4 . MOST IMPORTANT STEP .

Pour some alcohol into the seal inside the cover to be sure its perfect clean . Clean the impeller ceramic plate with alcohol as well.. Shake out and do not touch them with fingers.... ..

5 . Re assemble as you took apart.... I Also put a small amount of lithium grease on the motor Shaft but not sure its needed...

Remember if the shaft is Rusty on the motor IT DOES NOT EFFECT THE SEAL.. As the cover actually seals to the impeller....

New seals may Drip for up to a few hours. if it continues longer then that the metal part of the seal cover was not installed square or properly........

Hope this helps and good Luck.....

Erica Renee

SeaEscapes
08/14/2015, 04:08 PM
awesome Erica.... thanks