PDA

View Full Version : Is my Zoa too high?

tehpineapple
08/12/2015, 06:53 PM
There are Twinkie wrappers everywhere and it keeps talking about how the man is keeping us down.

Ok, sorry, I had to. But on a serious note, I'm wondering if I put my Zoa frag too high in the tank. The polyps open daily when the lights are on and close when the are touched by a snail or hermit. My concern is that it is at the highest point in my tank at the tip of the rock. The green coloration in the center is not a vibrant as it was at the LFS and the tentacles are a brownish color. I don't have a blue acentic light like they had over the frag tank so that may account for a little of the color difference.

I guess the main reason I'm wondering is because I'm seeing many tank pictures with the zoa covered rocks at bottom to mid level and I glued mine to the top of the rockwork.

This is my first coral so I'm over worrying. Should I move the zoa lower?

tehpineapple
08/12/2015, 06:58 PM
Also, I don't know if this makes a difference but the zoas are on a clam.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10254&pictureid=71116

thegrun
08/12/2015, 07:00 PM
What are you running for lighting? Give us a little more information about your tank. Most zoas are very adaptive to various lighting conditions, although a slower acclimation period may be necessary if your lighting is intense.

Garrettgomez55
08/12/2015, 07:02 PM
Just make sure it doesn't have to much flow on them and they should do fine. I have mine in the middle and some on the sand bed. If they start bleaching move them lower in the tank. I know how you feel my first coral was some zoas and I was worried to death about them lol. Just keep a eye on them

tehpineapple
08/12/2015, 07:18 PM
For lights I'm using 2 Coralife 50/50 420nm/10000K lights with a metal reflector:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=PC5643&child=PC5655

My tank size is 28 gallon and I don't have specifics on the parameters but everything was in line last I checked.

I think I have my powerhead pointed fairly close to them. I'm at work so I'll check the positioning a little later tonight.

Ron Reefman
08/13/2015, 04:42 AM
There are Twinkie wrappers everywhere and it keeps talking about how the man is keeping us down.

Funny, that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the title to your thread.

Zoas are pretty able to adapt and they can morph as well. I have zoas we call Little Money zoas (they are small and green "little money" and they come from Little Money Key in the Florida Keys). A small colony of 10 were place high in a shallow reef tank on a frag rack and they turned from medium green to a pretty azure blue. We've also seen in the wild, a good size spider crab with these zoas all over it's back. Pretty cool. Just be sure when the zoas spread they don't start to bother the clam's mantle.