PDA

View Full Version : RODI unit is leaking

Ryan15236
08/12/2015, 06:54 PM
I purchased a used 75 gpd BRS ro/di unit and hooked it up today. Well it is leaking. It looks like it is leaking on the carbon block canister where it screws in to the housing. I am hoping it didnt get damaged during shipping. I will do some more observations and see if I can pinpoint the leak exactly. If you guys know anything that may help me out please let me know.

slief
08/12/2015, 08:24 PM
I purchased a used 75 gpd BRS ro/di unit and hooked it up today. Well it is leaking. It looks like it is leaking on the carbon block canister where it screws in to the housing. I am hoping it didnt get damaged during shipping. I will do some more observations and see if I can pinpoint the leak exactly. If you guys know anything that may help me out please let me know.

Just remove the canister housing & check the o-ring seal and reinstall it. It could just be loose or it could be the o-ring is pinched. I'd also double check before doing that to make sure it's not one of the John Guest push lock fittings that's leaking. If it is, push the tube in to the fitting all the way until it stops and then pull it back until it stops.

azjohnny
08/12/2015, 08:27 PM
Try applying a small amount of silicone grease to the o ring

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=53861-1366-88693&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1092167&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Opus123
08/13/2015, 11:22 AM
Also check the lid. I had the same problem a few years back and did the silicone grease and reset all the connections. Still a small leak. Finally looked the lid over and there was a small hairline crack in it that you really had to look for.

GroktheCube
08/13/2015, 12:45 PM
I suspect the O-rings either need to be greased or replaced, but you might have a crack.

JB NY
08/13/2015, 12:57 PM
Try applying a small amount of silicone grease to the o ring

+1 This I have found to be the issue most times.

sleepydoc
08/13/2015, 01:26 PM
Good news is that those systems are modular, so if one part is actually cracked you can get a replacement without scrapping the entire thing. They're pretty rugged, though, so my guess is that it's just a seal that got dislodged.

Ryan15236
08/13/2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It was late last night and I didn't have in any silicone grease on hand so I just removed the carbon block and reinstalled it paying close attention to the O-ring and gave it a really good tightening and the unit is working great. I went by the hardware store and picked up some silicone grease for future need however

slief
08/13/2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It was late last night and I didn't have in any silicone grease on hand so I just removed the carbon block and reinstalled it paying close attention to the O-ring and gave it a really good tightening and the unit is working great. I went by the hardware store and picked up some silicone grease for future need however

I figured that was the issue. Been there done that. Glad you got it resolved.