PDA

View Full Version : Getting TDS of 1-2 from new DI?

Gagonzalez
08/12/2015, 07:57 PM
I purchased a DI cartridge from Marinedepot and installed it a week ago. Since then, I get a TDS of either 1 (when water flows from the 5g storage tank) or 2 (when the tank is empty and water flows through the unit). My previous Coralife Mixed Bed DI was always 0 TDS. My input water is between 198-202 coming into the unit. What could be going on?

SpectraPure
08/13/2015, 11:59 AM
I purchased a DI cartridge from Marinedepot and installed it a week ago. Since then, I get a TDS of either 1 (when water flows from the 5g storage tank) or 2 (when the tank is empty and water flows through the unit). My previous Coralife Mixed Bed DI was always 0 TDS. My input water is between 198-202 coming into the unit. What could be going on?

What is the tds coming out of your RO membrane?

Jeremy

Gagonzalez
08/13/2015, 12:21 PM
That I do not know currently but all the filters including the RO membrane were changed out about 2 months ago so they are all good. My DI is a separate canister so I did not touch the RO sections, only the DI canister.

My last Coralife DI cartridge lasted 8 months before going from 0 to 1 TDS which is about right. I decided to try using the Spectralife cartridge since it was on sale at Marinedepot. I only use the DI section for my 28g Nano tank at approx. 10g weekly.

I can move my TDS meter and see what comes out of the Ro section if needed. Could I possibly need to reseat the cartridge?

Gagonzalez
08/13/2015, 07:48 PM
OK. So this may be user error.

I moved my TDS meter to the output of the RO and the TDS is coming out at 4. TDS in is at 208. I put everything back and I am now filling a 5g container and I get 0 TDS out of the DI.

However, when I moved the TDS meter, I noticed that the sensor was turned slightly and pulled out about 1/16". Could this have led to a false reading? I twisted it back in again so that it is sitting flush. I probably pulled it out slightly when changing the cartridge. Hopefully this was the problem.

Sorry for the false alarm. I will post again if it goes back up.

Thank You

SpectraPure
08/13/2015, 11:11 PM
Yes this could have thrown off the readings. Also, if the two probes don't make equal contact with the water it can also be thrown off. If the pins are downstream of one another instead of side by side it has a tendency to be thrown off. Make sure the in or the out sticker is either facing you or away from you when you are looking at the system. There is also a little notch in the meters to indicate if the probes are oriented correctly.

Jeremy

SpectraPure
08/13/2015, 11:13 PM
We also have a triple point meter that measure tap water, ro water, and DI water so you don't have to move, or we have just a single probe tds meter to fill that gap that you are missing.

Jeremy

Gagonzalez
08/14/2015, 08:55 AM
Thanks. So far so good. Will be upgrading soon and I am looking at a better system since I will be upgrading to a 100g when I move to our new house. Will definitely be getting at least 3 sensors minimum on the next unit.

Thanks again.

SpectraPure
08/17/2015, 12:58 AM
Excellent!

Jeremy