PDA

View Full Version : Plywood tank, what wood?

shifty51008
08/13/2015, 10:27 AM
Im planning to build a plywood tank hopefully soon so wanna start collecting materials. The tank will be 5'x4'x24", the front and 1 side will have glass and am thinking of useing 3/8". Should be thick enough i think? But for plywood i will use 3/4", but is there a certain type of wood to use? I was thinking maybe oak or birch, marine grade shouldnt matter sence im epoxing it anyway correct?

ericarenee
08/13/2015, 10:41 AM
I would use CDX 3/4 ..

Marine grade ply is so wet and full of chemicals Getting the epoxy to stick to it could be a challenge. Not to mention it will shrink as it dies out...

Just my Opinion..... also check with Glass company on glass and thickness.

shifty51008
08/13/2015, 10:48 AM
Ty, i thought about cdx plywood but seems like around here its hard to find sheets that dont have knots or warped

ericarenee
08/13/2015, 12:16 PM
Ty, i thought about cdx plywood but seems like around here its hard to find sheets that dont have knots or warped

Plywood with knots in it..... ? If so the knots are only on that one lamination and do not go thru the whole sheet.. This will not effect its strength..
As far as being warped Pull of few of the top sheets off a newly opened bundle.... then grab what you need.....

davocean
08/13/2015, 12:33 PM
Plywood with knots in it..... ? If so the knots are only on that one lamination and do not go thru the whole sheet.. This will not effect its strength..
As far as being warped Pull of few of the top sheets off a newly opened bundle.... then grab what you need.....

Agree, my local HD and Lowes see me coming a mile away because that is the first thing I do, rip off the first layers of crap that has been rejected countless times and keeps getting restacked on top.
Don't be afraid to go through it and get good material, it's critical for you.
Let someone building their dog house take what's on top.

ericarenee
08/13/2015, 12:35 PM
Agree, my local HD and Lowes see me coming a mile away because that is the first thing I do, rip off the first layers of crap that has been rejected countless times and keeps getting restacked on top.
Don't be afraid to go through it and get good material, it's critical for you.
Let someone building their dog house take what's on top.
Or they deliver it to someone .I have bought for delivery lumber from those places.i go in sort and stack it and say I WANT THIS LUMBER DELIVERER
[emoji13]

davocean
08/13/2015, 12:49 PM
Ugh, delivery of lumber horror stories..
I used to be shy about grabbing lumber when I first started many years ago, learn to shed that, avoid headaches.

Sk8r
08/13/2015, 12:54 PM
Would you knowingly buy a rotten tomato in the supermarket? Of course you pick over the offered items and pick the best. No shame in that! I also ask when's the next delivery?

ericarenee
08/13/2015, 01:04 PM
Ugh, delivery of lumber horror stories..
I used to be shy about grabbing lumber when I first started many years ago, learn to shed that, avoid headaches.

2xs are the worse delivered... Framing lumber can be so bad you gotta stand back and Bust the bands with a hatchet to Keep it from killing you when it flies apart....:blown:

One of my Reasons why i love Framing with Steel Studs.

shifty51008
08/13/2015, 04:14 PM
Tyvm everyone, all great points ill deff. sort through the wood to find the best peices