PDA

View Full Version : top 5 skimmers right now?'=

atraperegrinus
08/13/2015, 10:55 AM
After alot of searching most of the threads are older and outdated.

what are the ~ top 5 skimmers available right now? Affordably as in <$500.

I've seen the rlss r6 mentioned alot, aswell as JNS and the US rebranded jns, vertex, reef octopus etc.. I'm not going to ask whats everyone's " best " because as we all know opinions vary, so I'd love to see a top 5 list, that way we have options.

I have a 110g DT I just drilled, and I'll likely have a 75g sump and a 50g fuge? maybe tops 200g total before rock and whatnot.

shifty51008
08/13/2015, 10:58 AM
Not sure on top 5 but lifereef should be very high on the list. Aquamaxx skimmers are also very good imo

atraperegrinus
08/13/2015, 11:30 AM
Not sure on top 5 but lifereef should be very high on the list. Aquamaxx skimmers are also very good imo
i believe aquamaxx and jns are the same, just rebranded from what ive read.

Scorpius
08/13/2015, 11:31 AM
I love my Skimz skimmer. Does the job nicely.

DavidinGA
08/13/2015, 12:07 PM
Pinwheel skimmers, venturi skimmers, downdraft skimmers, etc. will all "work" when balanced with proper size/air flow/water flow/contact time/ect.

I only recently went on a "I wonder if I should upgrade my skimmer" kick where I was going to sell my skimmer and buy something "better". After a few days of researching and contemplating my options I came back to the pivotal truth about skimmers - they will only ever remove at best 30% of doc. In reality, I believe their are good skimmers and better skimmers, but as a whole you generally won't find an awful skimmer and then an amazing skimmer. They all generally fall into a lumped group of simply getting the job done adequately.

Personally, I use a SRO3000int on about 250gal volume and it gets the job done. There are probably marginally better and worst skimmers out there; each with their own compromises in both pro/con directions.

:dance:

davocean
08/13/2015, 12:12 PM
i believe aquamaxx and jns are the same, just rebranded from what ive read.

I believe aquamaxx is basically the distributor for JNS, and puts their own label, but yes, it's the same exact skimmer.
I think it's hard to do a top 5, you'll get very mixed opinions and that would partially be due to price, the best skimmers are a bit expensive.
I'm probably about the average as budget goes, so just my personal favs that I have actually had and used would be;

ATI bubblemaster200, my very favorite, and too bad they seemed to be met w/ so many skimmers that were priced too competitively and temporarily blew them out, however I see they are putting new skimmers out once again.

Reefoctopus, just about every skimmer they have put out has been good if not great, though some pumps they have used have been better than others, I particularly liked the bubble blaster pumps.

SWC, great skimmers, no idea why these guys have been shut down(anyone?)

I have never had a RLSS or a Skimz, but if I gotta list 5 then I have to say most seem to like em.

Bubble king of course if you can afford them.

Noteworthy; Deltec apparently is back in the game, years ago they were pretty much the skimmer to have, so it will be interesting and nice to see what they put out there.

ericarenee
08/13/2015, 12:30 PM
I would say any of the well known brands work well as said above..

Its often a personal choice as to what is best..

I Run a skimz sm201 and it works great well built and stable and NO Air bubbles from its gate...........
Not Sure i could ask for anything but . Unless someone can make a non stinky skimmer but still work...

GroktheCube
08/13/2015, 12:43 PM
I would say any of the well known brands work well as said above..

Its often a personal choice as to what is best..

I Run a skimz sm201 and it works great well built and stable and NO Air bubbles from its gate...........
Not Sure i could ask for anything but . Unless someone can make a non stinky skimmer but still work...

I use one of the Reef Octopus skimmate collectors with GAC use the top vent, and it's odorless.

bernie lyons
08/13/2015, 02:30 PM
MTC have been around for 30 years and in my opinion build the best skimmers in the US ! Some folks here on this forum are using these products after replacing their bubble kings and deltec's ...nuff said !

BM3
08/13/2015, 02:42 PM
Are Eshopps snowcone skimmers any good? s-120 etc...

running scott
08/13/2015, 02:48 PM
Funny you should mention the ATI bubble master davocean. I'm still useing that skimmer today, probably had it for ten years? Got it when it first came out. I did upgrade the pump to the psk 1000. Other than that it just works, best piece of reef equipment I have ever purchased.

davocean
08/13/2015, 02:59 PM
Funny you should mention the ATI bubble master davocean. I'm still useing that skimmer today, probably had it for ten years? Got it when it first came out. I did upgrade the pump to the psk 1000. Other than that it just works, best piece of reef equipment I have ever purchased.

Yeah, I started out w/ a prizm, then a bakpak, then a coralife(great list for beginning a bottom 5)
Then I got that ATI, talk about a WOW moment and realizing what a good skimmer should be.
One of the few pieces of equipment I regret letting go.
My eyes are open for what they start putting back out there.

mypepper
08/13/2015, 03:16 PM
I would say the NYOS Quantum series skimmers are at the top five skimmers right now. I have the 160 model and it skims like there's no tomorrow. My skim mate is almost black in color and smells like poo poo. Every time I clean the collection cup, my wife brings out the bathroom spray....Yes it's that potent of a smell.

Reefstarter2
08/13/2015, 05:44 PM
I have an old C12 skimmer body I run with a simple venturi off my return pump . works fine on 500 gallons of water . I bought it for $100 lol. I also employ an aggressive nutrient export regiment using macros in a fuge , an algae scrubber and vinegar dosing . I don't think any skimmer will adequately remove all that we need to in any system . someday someone might just prove me wrong but thats how I feel right now

d-man
08/13/2015, 09:00 PM
I like reef octopus. Such a great skimmer for the $$. Very low issues if any, good quality and reliable pump

BryanS4
08/13/2015, 09:13 PM
I-tech. If only folks could get their hands on one. Put up against others on this list and I keep coming back.

Bent
08/13/2015, 09:19 PM
I dig my bubble magus

moondoggy4
08/15/2015, 07:41 PM
Are Eshopps snowcone skimmers any good? s-120 etc...

Yes that is a good little skimmer for a small tank.

Maybe I missed it but ATB especially the 840 great skimmer, very few complaints.

Allentown
08/15/2015, 07:45 PM
Reef Octopus supercone (Vertex knock off) and of course...the Vertex they are based on.

mikeatjac
08/16/2015, 02:06 AM
Reef Octopus supercone (Vertex knock off) and of course...the Vertex they are based on.

Yep, Reef Octopus is a cloning company.

Top five in no particular order IMO
Bubble King
ATB
Life Reef/MTC
?
?

krzyphsygy
08/16/2015, 06:14 AM
I have two Aquamaxx Skimmers now. Bought them in the last two months. The Q2 and the Ecomaxx C02. All Space saver skimmers.
These are the incredible skimmers. They are work horses and pull insane amounts of skimmate. I have been super impressed with these skimmers.

GatorAlum05
08/16/2015, 06:37 AM
whatever skimmer you choose remember the pump will fail one way or the other. look and see if the pumps become obsolete or will cost an arm and leg to replace.

not crapping on coralvue but one of their space savers pump went obsolete on me. never again will i buy their product when i found out how much the replacement pump was.

all skimmers do the same. some are just more enjoyable. maintenance and pump issue is key.

phenom5
08/16/2015, 07:21 AM
Maybe I missed it but ATB especially the 840 great skimmer, very few complaints.

Second that. Love my ATB 840 v2. Perfect fit for my 155, dead silent, and a real workhorse.

dkeller_nc
08/16/2015, 08:19 AM
whatever skimmer you choose remember the pump will fail one way or the other.

To the OP - Gator's come up with the key consideration on a skimmer. This is just my opinion, but I'll not be buying another skimmer that doesn't use a Sicce skimmer pump. In my hands, they've been far, far more reliable than even higher-quality also-ran pumps used by Coral Vue. And they're dead silent.

So for your 200g system volume, I'd be strongly considering the Vertex Omega 180i, or if you're going with a lighter bio-load, the Vertex Omega 150. Extremely high build quality, and Sicce pumps.

GatorAlum05
08/16/2015, 09:05 AM
To the OP - Gator's come up with the key consideration on a skimmer. This is just my opinion, but I'll not be buying another skimmer that doesn't use a Sicce skimmer pump. In my hands, they've been far, far more reliable than even higher-quality also-ran pumps used by Coral Vue. And they're dead silent.

dkeller, I agree completely with this statement. I had a JNS that had a sicce pump in it. Ran forever. I sold it when I wanted to try the latest and greatest coralvue product. That DC pump died on me exactly when the warranty expired.... coralvue wanted to charge me 300 plus shipping and tax for the pump. They will never see my business again. My second tank uses a sicce 5.0 that I bought to power a lifereef 24in svs3. I am in no way promoting lifereef as the greatest but I will tell you this, if I wanted another sicce 5.0 pump, it will not cost me an arm and leg to replace.

I get just as good skimming but knowing my pump replacement can be bought via amazon 2 days shipping instead of waiting for coralvue 2-3 weeks is all but worth paying to get a lifereef.

I recently ordered another lifereef 30in svs3 to replace the piece of crap coralvue product that broke down on me 2 weeks ago.

And I wasn't even being cheap. I believe I paid over 700 bucks for the coralvue pov dc2 when it first came out.... don't get me wrong. It skimmed great. But after 2 years, the pump went crap on me......

GatorAlum05
08/16/2015, 09:11 AM
and I'm sorry if it comes off like I'm crapping on coralvue and I'm sure there's lots of users that have positive feedback from them. I am just so mad that I paid that amount of money to find the pump to be obsolete and they will have to charge me X amount of money. Enough money to buy another skimmer. Money doesn't grow on a tree but I guess these companies don't care.

Johnseye
08/16/2015, 09:15 AM
and I'm sorry if it comes off like I'm crapping on coralvue and I'm sure there's lots of users that have positive feedback from them. I am just so mad that I paid that amount of money to find the pump to be obsolete and they will have to charge me X amount of money. Enough money to buy another skimmer. Money doesn't grow on a tree but I guess these companies don't care.

I'm with you. I've owned an SRO 2000. It's had problems and their customer support (Carlos) couldn't give a rats a$$ about their customers. I steer away from all Coralvue products.

Bent
08/16/2015, 09:51 AM
I always thought bubble King was...err...King.

bayoupr
08/16/2015, 10:13 AM
I always thought bubble King was...err...King.

That's what some claim. I ran BK's before and to me din't see what was so great for that much money. Don't get me wrong, they are well built, have a fancy DC controllable pump but I get the same results out of my old school Lifereef skimmer (tank and occupants look as great as they ever did). I can run it external, internal, AC or DC pump, the brand doesn't matter as long as it has the recommended flow rate.

My Top 5 are (at one point I ran these brands and still run my Lifereef);

Old School Lifereef / MTC
ATB
BK
MRC Beckett
ETSS Downdraft

tom obrecht
08/16/2015, 02:40 PM
My top 5...obviously without $ restrictions:

ATB
Bubble King ( very close second)
Deltec
Euroreef
SRO

metalmesh
08/16/2015, 03:45 PM

So for your 200g system volume, I'd be strongly considering the Vertex Omega 180i, or if you're going with a lighter bio-load, the Vertex Omega 150. Extremely high build quality, and Sicce pumps.

Just wait till the current Sicce pump impeller is replaced with a metal mesh wheel impeller...you will see some real foam! Not that the current impeller does not make good foam but the metal mesh impeller will shred the air into incredibly small bubbles due to the thin cutting edges, multiplying the total surface area for the organics to cling to. This translates into very fast removal of unwanted organics.

DavidinGA
08/16/2015, 03:58 PM
Just wait till the current Sicce pump impeller is replaced with a metal mesh wheel impeller...you will see some real foam! Not that the current impeller does not make good foam but the metal mesh impeller will shred the air into incredibly small bubbles due to the thin cutting edges, multiplying the total surface area for the organics to cling to. This translates into very fast removal of unwanted organics.
Info? Link? Eta?

bernie lyons
08/16/2015, 04:16 PM
Money no object:
1-MTC
2-RK2 Mazzei venturi/MRC pinwheel
3-Beckett nozzle/downdraft
4-Bubble King
5-Deltec

jason2459
08/16/2015, 04:38 PM
If it clogs up and requires the same kind of maintenance as a mesh wheel or the ATI grid wheel no thanks. They perform better...until they don't...

moondoggy4
08/16/2015, 04:50 PM

ETA I think that has been 4 to 5 years in the wings now.

DavidinGA
08/16/2015, 05:08 PM
Must be a bucket of continuous fail if it's been that long and it's still not successful...

davocean
08/16/2015, 05:30 PM
Probably due to the gripe of maintenance on mesh wheels.
I liked their bubble blaster pump, I wonder why they drifted from using that.
I'm not crazy about the DC pumps.

gcarroll
08/16/2015, 06:55 PM
If it clogs up and requires the same kind of maintenance as a mesh wheel or the ATI grid wheel no thanks. They perform better...until they don't...I have 2 friends running the ATI Powercones for 3 years now. They told me that they has never had an issue with the grid wheel and require no more maintenance than needlewheels. Have you heard reports otherwise, or are you just assuming they will clog because others also assumed it would?

davocean
08/16/2015, 07:07 PM
Yeah I have not heard much griping on ATI other than price back when.
I also forgot to mention the ATB

And yes, I will be at reefapalooza too!!!

jason2459
08/16/2015, 07:33 PM
I have 2 friends running the ATI Powercones for 3 years now. They told me that they has never had an issue with the grid wheel and require no more maintenance than needlewheels. Have you heard reports otherwise, or are you just assuming they will clog because others also assumed it would?
Reports. Along with the original air flow meter causing problems and 2 generations of issues with the intake

atraperegrinus
08/16/2015, 10:39 PM
Loving all the Input guys! Keep it coming.

I was already looking at the vertex omega before i started this thread, so that's close to the top of my potential list.

gcarroll
08/16/2015, 10:42 PM
Reports. Along with the original air flow meter causing problems and 2 generations of issues with the intake

Where are they reporting this because I can't seem to find it.

kenpau
08/17/2015, 01:35 AM
My top 5 (in order)

1. RLSS DB10i
2. Reef Octopus Core 800i

I don't think you're really in a position to rate skimmers unless you've actually used them, otherwise you're just speculating, I've only used two in the past 5 years. What I will say is that I'm extremely happy with the RLSS skimmer and it far outperforms the Reef Octopus I had.

jason2459
08/17/2015, 06:15 AM
Where are they reporting this because I can't seem to find it.
Interwebs. Le Google. I'm not invested in arguing this or taking it personally so not about to go researching again. You'll find issues with any product. Those were the issue I found with the ATI powercone.

jason2459
08/17/2015, 06:35 AM
My top 5 (in order)

1. RLSS DB10i
2. Reef Octopus Core 800i

I don't think you're really in a position to rate skimmers unless you've actually used them, otherwise you're just speculating, I've only used two in the past 5 years. What I will say is that I'm extremely happy with the RLSS skimmer and it far outperforms the Reef Octopus I had.
I didn't post a list but If it's the best we've used then the best skimmer I've used based on consistency and reliability is my current cheap Seaside Aquatics. It's been extremely consistent pulling out 1-1.5 cups a day (not wet skimming) every single day. It has not overflowed once in the past 10 months or so I've used it and only hickup its had was recently with an astrea star wandering its way into the volute. The body, neck, and pump are extremely well matched and the sicce psk 1000 is easily replaceable and parts available.

Other skimmers I have used have been unbalanced, over powered, unreliable, cheap pumps, etc I have used and played around with 8 or 9 in the past 10 years. Next I will try out either a life reef or MTC. I was considering a bashsea skimmer but would dread cleaning it out the day it needs it.

gcarroll
08/17/2015, 09:14 AM
Interwebs. Le Google. I'm not invested in arguing this or taking it personally so not about to go researching again. You'll find issues with any product. Those were the issue I found with the ATI powercone.

Thanks for nothing! I have a brand new 250i I was considering using and was hoping you could help me. I tried google but found no issues regarding this other than people speculating this would be an issue prior to the release of the skimmer. Unfortunately, you took my questioning the wrong way. people on this forum are often regurgitating info that they have read elsewhere. If at all possible I like to keep myself informed as much as possible so I know where future problems will come from.

With skimmers there is always going to be debate, not argument. It's those who confuse the two terms that often take discussions into the deep end. It's never personal so keep those debates from turning into arguments.

atraperegrinus
08/17/2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks for nothing! I have a brand new 250i I was considering using and was hoping you could help me. I tried google but found no issues regarding this other than people speculating this would be an issue prior to the release of the skimmer. Unfortunately, you took my questioning the wrong way. people on this forum are often regurgitating info that they have read elsewhere. If at all possible I like to keep myself informed as much as possible so I know where future problems will come from.

With skimmers there is always going to be debate, not argument. It's those who confuse the two terms that often take discussions into the deep end. It's never personal so keep those debates from turning into arguments.

very true, its hard to pull the tone from a forum post so many people automatically assume its a personal argument.

jason2459
08/17/2015, 10:08 AM

You asked where they are reporting it so I responded with where I found it. Instead of asking what issues I found you decided to question my sources. I don't have every page, site, blog, post, tweet, etc that I've been to and read. I have looked into the ATI powercone many times and believe it to be a good skimmer. I didn't go with it due to several issues over time revolving around the pump(in general). There's been several generations of it now and each one has gotten better. From what I remember the issues with the grid wheel that I found were not really build up of debris but was mostly what was reported as a slimeing over most likely bacterial reducing performance.

Darrell Brady
08/17/2015, 10:13 AM
I like my Life REEF. IT skims better than my vertex ever did.

VWD
08/17/2015, 10:48 AM
Only two good skimmer I have used are My Reef Creations and Lifereef. I like the Life reef over the MRC's . the rest of the skimmers I have used where so so, some ok and some junk.

CaminDFW2
08/17/2015, 01:59 PM
I don't know about best but.. I have had excellent luck with Bubble Magus Skimmers. I have the Curve 5 and G5. The G5 is very easy to dial in but, is a bit loud. The Curve 5 is super easy to clean (thumb locks on the base allow for easy break down) and it is dead silent. I ran a NAC-6 for 5 years with zero issues with the pump.

krzyphsygy
08/17/2015, 05:08 PM
My top 5...obviously without $ restrictions:

ATB
Bubble King ( very close second)
Deltec
Euroreef
SRO

What, no H&S....that's what half those skimmers were copied from. I ran an H&S for 7 years. Great skimmer. Only in Germany though. I still have it but bought the Aquamaxx accidently.

Those skimmers you mentioned, all great skimmers and definitely worthy of mentioning. But most are HIGH $$$ and perform equally to lower priced units. I have proved this to my self. Built well for sure though. But Try the Aquamaxx Ecomaxx line and you wont believe how they perform. Sicci pump and pulling HUGE amount of skimmate. I have read for years that space saver skimmers don't perform as well as recirc or insump because of contact time. Well I am her to tell you, wroooong. This skimmer destroys my H&S. Unbelievably happy so I bought two. I almost dropped $700 on an ATB and glad I didn't. They are great skimmers but I don't fell they could out perform this thing.

moondoggy4
08/17/2015, 10:38 PM
Best two skimmers I used are my old Euro Reef CS53 aka RS80 and my I-Tech 200 with a tunze 9420 pump.

green_troll
08/17/2015, 11:39 PM
Wonder why the tunzes havent been mentioned before?
Im thinking 9410

aclinville
08/18/2015, 12:09 AM
MTC skimmers by far!!! Very well built.

Scorpius
08/18/2015, 01:09 PM
This thread is like asking which car is the best out there. They all get you to point A and B, albeit in slightly different ways.

tom obrecht
08/18/2015, 02:00 PM
This thread is like asking which car is the best out there. They all get you to point A and B, albeit in slightly different ways.

That's the problem. There are so many options available and what works well for one the next person doesn't care for it for whatever reason. When I was setting up my current display I actually went thru a couple "Best Aquariums in the World "books and made a list of what skimmers these owners used. As it turned out I was just as confused after my research as I was when I started. I think it goes to prove that there are many successful reefs being kept by many different brand skimmers and perhaps no one skimmer is head and heels above the other.

Bpb
08/18/2015, 03:29 PM
Problem with calling a list a top 5 is I doubt any of the people on this thread have used enough makes and models of skimmers to be able to designate what the best 5 are. Most people will currently just either recommend the most expensive skimmers, or what they're currently settling with. I agree with previous comments. They oxygenate the water, and remove organic content. A skimmer that skims more is removing more good stuff as well. At this point really the best way to put skimmers in different class is just going to be quality of the materials themselves, and efficiency/noise/longevity of the pumps, which will also vary heavily on conditions and regular maintenance. This is too difficult of a list to really make. Purchase the best skimmer in your budget, and you'll likely be satisfied.

Furry
08/18/2015, 03:38 PM
1.Sc aquarium
2.H&S
3.ATB
4.B.K.
5.MTC

I have used all of these skimmers sadly......

GatorAlum05
08/18/2015, 03:47 PM
all skimmers do the same thing. just look for ones with a reliable pump. don't jump on latest and greatest. it's all marketing.

davocean
08/18/2015, 04:49 PM
I think if you look at what has been mentioned by most you at least have an idea.
I do not think all skimmers are the same/do the same by any means, and I can't say I agree that they pull out anything beneficial that should have stayed in.

mikeatjac
08/18/2015, 05:12 PM
I think if you look at what has been mentioned by most you at least have an idea.
I do not think all skimmers are the same/do the same by any means, and I can't say I agree that they pull out anything beneficial that should have stayed in.

I agree. There are some great skimmers and many that I wish I had not wasted my money on.

jason2459
08/18/2015, 05:15 PM
A skimmer will pull out what ever will stick to the bubble

OK article on what skimmers pull out
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature#idc-containe

Good discussion on that article.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799719

Mastiffsrule
08/18/2015, 05:26 PM
I would say the NYOS Quantum series skimmers are at the top five skimmers right now. I have the 160 model and it skims like there's no tomorrow. My skim mate is almost black in color and smells like poo poo. Every time I clean the collection cup, my wife brings out the bathroom spray....Yes it's that potent of a smell.

+1 on Nyos.

My Vertex Aqariastik pump died after 4 years and no replacement was found. I picked up the Nyos for my 180 on sale. I would put the build quality on the same level as Vertex. It is silent and pulls tons of scum. It's been running about a month and only complaint is dialing it in is a bit sensative, but that could be said with most skimmers. So far very happy with it.

davocean
08/18/2015, 05:31 PM

Breezed through for now, an interesting read I'll have to absorb more of later, but I don't think it will sway me into going skimmerless or anything.
That poo poo smell and funkified waste in the cup has gotta be doing more good than harm being removed from tank.

atraperegrinus
08/18/2015, 06:00 PM

this was my goal with the thread, actually, not so much the list itself.

i wanted first hand experience and personal lists of used skimmers, alot of times u see people list stuff just because like was mentioned, its the new latest and greatest, which is moot if its all hype.

Lowlow23
08/18/2015, 06:18 PM
whats a good but cheap skimmer ? TIA

jason2459
08/18/2015, 06:21 PM
Breezed through for now, an interesting read I'll have to absorb more of later, but I don't think it will sway me into going skimmerless or anything.
That poo poo smell and funkified waste in the cup has gotta be doing more good than harm being removed from tank.
I absolutely agree. I see no reason not to use a skimmer.

Without retyping a bunch which I hate doing on a smart phone I posted my thoughts on skimmer use for me in this thread recently.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23931056

Basically it also comes down to no skimmer is very efficient at mechanical filtering. But there are some worse then others so agree with you there too.

jason2459
08/18/2015, 06:23 PM
whats a good but cheap skimmer ? TIA
Seaside Aquatics (they are bubble magus skimmers with a better pump) and aquamaxx skimmers. Both use a sicce pump which is reliable and easily replaceable.

jason2459
08/18/2015, 07:34 PM
Also, here's my experience with my Seaside Aquatics ES2 I'm currently using
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23941640

bernie lyons
08/18/2015, 10:57 PM

Thanks Jason for bringing these articles up .
Very interesting stuff and hopefully more testing will come out soon to address some of the unanswered questions.

platypusklr
08/19/2015, 07:32 AM
Lifereef all the way. PM makes a pretty damn good skimmer these days if your on a budget.

jason2459
08/19/2015, 07:42 AM
Thanks Jason for bringing these articles up .
Very interesting stuff and hopefully more testing will come out soon to address some of the unanswered questions.

There's been a few studies since then on skimmer efficiency but not a lot of research has gone into them.

These are where the quoted skimmers are only 30% efficient come from and some even less. Also, these two articles have been used to discredit the use of skimmers as well as promote them and prove one type of skimmer is better or worse then another. Tons of threads on this site went back and forth on these two articles.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2/

RHF is always a good read
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

Cool read on bacteria and skimming
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature

atraperegrinus
08/19/2015, 04:04 PM
I don't think efficiency really matters in the end anywa does it? most people who educate themselves and understand skimmers know its not the end all of filtration anyway. and employ multiple uses of natural and mechanical filtration along with skimming.

now skimmer to skimmer? maybe, but thats what this whole thread is about now isnt it? ^^ Trying to weed out skimmers not worth paying attention to.

I'm still considering the vertex omega 150/180i. it was on the top of my list before this thread, and it's still in my top 3 choices.

I think after planning a bit more though, I'll have a 110g DT, 150g stock tank sump, and likely a separate 20-50g sump? so Likely closer to 225-250g total volume.

will the omega 150 or 180i work for that? I know there's a couple threads saying the 150 is just as good as the 180 because the pump is outside the body. I don't know. I kind of like having the pump outside like that.

But i also really like the whole built with pvc aspect of the vertex skimmers too. Some of the cheaper units ive handled just felt cheap and easy to break, i don't like that.

davocean
08/19/2015, 04:27 PM

I read SO many comments about them I rushed to jump the gun on the Q2, they definitely need to work out some bugs on those things, just FYI

Allentown
08/19/2015, 08:56 PM
Well, I have only used a few but in m opinion stand pipes are way better than gate valves and avoid anything with a return outlet more than 5 inches from the height of the skimmer like the plague unless you like noise. The wine bottle shapped skimmers do perform a bit better. Those made with the heavier acrylic and real pvc have a better feel to them and I actually do like the DC motors because when I am servicing them, I can just turn the pump down and clean it without having to shut it all the way off, also the slow start helps prevent flooding on restart even if you are using a delay from your main pumps. I agree that buying from a brand that uses easier to replace pumps is probably smart. Beyond that I like skimmers with smaller foot prints to fee up space in the sump and make maintenance easier. The turn and lock skimmer cup mechanism is far superior to the suction compression set up...unless you love occasionally cleaning skimmate off of your carpet because you pulled on it too hard and it suddenly came lose. Also avoid skimmers that don't have a removable bottom....that is if you expect to ever be able to clean it.

Just my 2 cents...

jason2459
08/19/2015, 09:21 PM
Having a removable bottom is nice UNLESS its like the SRO3000sss I had. That was one of the things I hated most about it. It was just press fit into place. So if it's thumbscrews or titanium screws I'm all for it.

That would make for a good thread. What have you hated about your current or previous skimmers...

DLeh425
08/19/2015, 09:28 PM
Has anyone used one of the skimmers from Avast Marine?

metalmesh
09/06/2015, 10:09 PM
Must be a bucket of continuous fail if it's been that long and it's still not successful...

The metal mesh impellers have been used on a lot of nanoskimmers for the past 6 years. Improvements have been made over this period to protect the mesh from salt water and high pH.
You can see the performance of these impellers on our website nanoreefsystems.com
Ad far as clogging, it is a simple matter of using a toothbrush under running water to get rid of any debris in the center of the impeller.

As I said before, the next step will be to include them in the larger skimmer pumps. Testing will start next week using Sicce 1000 pump modified with the mesh impeller. I will show pics as soon as testing starts.

jason2459
09/06/2015, 10:19 PM
How often does one need to do that kind of maintenance. Doing it at all is more then I liked when trying out mesh. Most pinwheel and venturi driven skimmers require minimal maintanence beyond normal pump soaking and cleaning periodically.

karsco
09/07/2015, 08:34 AM
I have used a few over the years, Euroreef, Reef Octopus, & currently run an old I-tech that has been just a solid performer. That being said I am going to a much bigger tank and will be moving to a Lifereef based on consistent performance, and many local reefers experiences/results with them.

theatrus
09/07/2015, 01:02 PM
The main reason I've swapped skimmers in the past was pump failures (and in the case of Reef Octopus, the fast product cycle and unavailable replacement parts).

I would pick on pump first - a reputable US or European made pump would be ideal.

sneeyatch
09/08/2015, 06:44 PM
Way back before Coralvue bought out Octopus, octos were decent skimmers. Then Coralvue got a hold and turned the name into crap. Sorry to be blunt, but I can't stand any of their products anymore. Cheap, bad customer service, and there are so many other types of skimmers out there that are way better than octopus for the same cash. I was a die-hard octo guy a long time ago and tried keeping the faith throughout the years. I've run several types and they all progressively got worse as they continually redesign. Anyway, right now I'm running a RLSS skimmer and it's a good skimmer. Way better than octo.

dcforester1
09/08/2015, 06:58 PM
I thought I loved my skimmer until it didnt fit my sump and I bought a Reef Octopus Elite with the DC motor. I love it, super quiet and skims like crazy.

Good Luck
Derek

jason2459
09/08/2015, 07:13 PM
Way back before Coralvue bought out Octopus, octos were decent skimmers. Then Coralvue got a hold and turned the name into crap. Sorry to be blunt, but I can't stand any of their products anymore. Cheap, bad customer service, and there are so many other types of skimmers out there that are way better than octopus for the same cash. I was a die-hard octo guy a long time ago and tried keeping the faith throughout the years. I've run several types and they all progressively got worse as they continually redesign. Anyway, right now I'm running a RLSS skimmer and it's a good skimmer. Way better than octo.
AFAIK Coralvue does not own or make Reef Octopus. Reef Octopus is still Reef Octopus. Coralvue is purely a distributor for the US market for reefoctopus among several other bands like maxspect. Coralvue itself has had ups and downs customer service wise but I've personally have had good experience with them responding quickly and replacing items that needed replaced under warranty.

DamonG
09/08/2015, 07:20 PM
My favorites after using lords knows how many brands and types are reef dynamics(formerly euroreef) and now skimz.

I have run three different dynamics/euroreef skimmers. The only problem with them, was that I had to upgrade to the eheim pump for noise. I agree with the others, that sooner or later a pump is going to be the Achilles heel if you purchase an acrylic skimmer. Also,the jam lock removal of the collection cup, just makes sense to me, and is much easier to deal with. If it doesn't have that, I don't care what brand it is.

Further, I am now using a skimz SM251 on my 210 gallon twv system. I knew I'd have to upgrade, so I started searching. Since BRS handles their warranty in the US, I'm ok with that. And the thing is silent! I can hear a small "hiss" when I open my cabinet doors(air intakes), but, the thing has two pumps on it.. (And I have to shut the returns, sump fan, everything off to hear it.. ) So I don't expect it to be silent, though, it pretty much is. I had a sm163 for a small period of time, and that was a silent skimmer. To the point of thinking something is wrong initially..

These skimz are highly adjustable, just like the dynamics, but at the same time, easier to adjust, and get the exact skim you want(to me, any half way decent skimmer can skim black, dry foam, but a good one, let's you vary and adjust your skim consistency, like a nice, wet, dark to lighter tea color if you wish) because of the actual turn "knob" on the gate valve(the knob is attached to an acrylic type of screw with fine threads, like machined threads, so very fine inputs and change with very little effort). I really don't have to be crazy careful, and it basically boils down to "clicks" of a turn on the knob.. Along with the output going out the bottom of the skimmer, there's no splashing or burping, etc.. I like what I have seen from them so far, to the point of saying I'm very, very impressed.. I will have to see how the motors hold out, but short of that,a great skimmer line..

I am not going to bash, but I try to stay away from coralvue and their products also, due to customer service in the past..

However, I have used the above brands, along with reef octo, aqua c, red sea, asm, deltec, bashea, and I can't remember the others..

I like the AVAST products also, and their instructions on the skimmer kits, just like the rest of their items seems to make sense.. My size and space needs, we're just out of line for their larger skimmer kit..

Best of luck with your selection.. And above and beyond, a skimmer, like any other piece of equipment, is only as good as the person using it..

jason2459
09/08/2015, 07:35 PM
Ive been wanting to try one of the skimz open volute oval skimmers or rlss one. Just have been waiting for the Chinese DC pumps to get a better track record.

DamonG which Bashsea skimmer have you used. I've been eyeing the twisted skimmer and wonder what kind of maintenance their injection system needs.

oseymour
09/08/2015, 07:41 PM
I recently switched to a Reef Octopus 110 from a Bubble Magus Curve 5 on a 50 breeder. The Bubble Magus was hard to dial in and would overflow every 2 weeks. It recommended 9 to 11 inches but I found it works best in about 7 inches but still overflows.

The Reef Octopus doesn't look as elegant and isn't as quiet but it's getting the job done and doesn't overflow not matter how much I feed.

DamonG
09/08/2015, 08:41 PM
Ive been wanting to try one of the skimz open volute oval skimmers or rlss one. Just have been waiting for the Chinese DC pumps to get a better track record.

DamonG which Bashsea skimmer have you used. I've been eyeing the twisted skimmer and wonder what kind of maintenance their injection system needs.
I used the 8-24(it may have been 8-16, lol, it was one of the two). I didn't have it for long. It was a pain to me. Required far too much fiddling imho than it was worth.. Much more than the aqua c units I used.. And I was never satisfied with the skim. Aqua c, I learned a ton from, and it required a little tinkering, but then it would work.. That bashea, ugh...

DamonG
09/08/2015, 08:54 PM

And that's the goofy thing about the skimz. I was, at first hung up on the dc pump. But I played around with it at first, and then, in the end, I just never messed with it. The skimmer, just like this one, just produced for me..

And the dc pumps, at least, with the skimz, as far as energy savings, your really not, and if so, it's tiny. My 251 uses 40 watts of electricity(2 pumps to power it) total.. The 253 uses 70(well, 69) watts.. And, yes, the 253 pump does draw more air 2400 versus 1950 lph. But, that's not enough in my case to really go dc pump, versus two smaller pumps..

platypusklr
09/15/2015, 08:35 AM
Started with a PM Redline (Ok for price). Went to a BM Curve 5 (Better). Before i broke my tank down i traded for a used Lifereef SVS 24 W/ mazie. (BEST!!!!) Ended up selling the Lifereef to my LFS who runs it on a 180 Softie display lagoon. He has been in the game for 20 years. Now 8 months later he owns three LR skimmers including a 48" that supports the main store display(550 total gallons). He runs dual venturies on BL70's. Thing is like a protien eating dune sandworm. There is a 40' inch moray in there that eats whole bluegills and the skimmer keeps up just fine.

jh2pizza
01/18/2016, 10:22 AM
I would have to say my Tunze 9415 has been the most consistant skimmer I have ever used. No playing with it or dialing it in. I plugged it in and it does its thing.

Pablos RSM 450
01/18/2016, 12:49 PM
1. RLSS R6i (DC very quiet and adjustable)
2. AquaC Ev 180 (internal or external any pump will do 700+gph)
3. Reef Dynamics/ASM (price and availability of sedra pumps in the market)
4. Reef Octopus INT (price and ease of use)
5. Vertex Omega (looks nice, expensive, and finicky)

I have used most of the skimmers listed above as others have stated good luck with reef octopus customer service Carlos will give you the run arround had to file with BBB went no where. Next and last skimmer will be Life Reef I could have purchased 2 of them with the money spent on the others.

NyReefNoob
01/18/2016, 03:00 PM
ive owned about 30 skimmers, Best skimmer is a subjective question. cost and name dont always equal best. if i had to say my favorite skimmer and ive used most of the top ( supposedly best }one's there is, hands down i think the atb 840 is the best balanced skimmer. ive had atb, er, asm, bk, skimz, reef optopus, etss, bm, rl,tunze and about every other brand u can name. getting a proper sized skimmer for your tanks needs makes as much of a differance then anything

chilli_reef
01/18/2016, 04:47 PM
I believe aquamaxx is basically the distributor for JNS, and puts their own label, but yes, it's the same exact skimmer.
I think it's hard to do a top 5, you'll get very mixed opinions and that would partially be due to price, the best skimmers are a bit expensive.
I'm probably about the average as budget goes, so just my personal favs that I have actually had and used would be;

ATI bubblemaster200, my very favorite, and too bad they seemed to be met w/ so many skimmers that were priced too competitively and temporarily blew them out, however I see they are putting new skimmers out once again.

Reefoctopus, just about every skimmer they have put out has been good if not great, though some pumps they have used have been better than others, I particularly liked the bubble blaster pumps.

SWC, great skimmers, no idea why these guys have been shut down(anyone?)

I have never had a RLSS or a Skimz, but if I gotta list 5 then I have to say most seem to like em.

Bubble king of course if you can afford them.

Noteworthy; Deltec apparently is back in the game, years ago they were pretty much the skimmer to have, so it will be interesting and nice to see what they put out there.

Its either the patrn lawsuite brought on by coralvue about ahhhhh....6-7 years ago or its because the owner went to prison for illegal import export of protected wild life on a GRAND SCALE lol !!!

cklayko
01/18/2016, 06:31 PM
Lifereef.. Had lots of high end skimmers euroreef, reef octopus, vertex, etc..., all had beautiful build quality but required constant adjustment. Bought a lifereef and will never go back. Thing is a work horse. Don't second guess it...

janes_mw
01/18/2016, 07:40 PM
I have to say my Bubble King 250 is by far my favorite. At first I was skeptical due to cost, but it is just a solid performing beast. Over the past 30 years I have had from mild to wild with respect to cost and volume (biggest was a 6 foot, 8 inch diameter, counter current venturi and airstone (back in the early 90's) on a 500 gallon tank). Currently running 300 gallon SPS tank and the BK with an Avast Marine neck cleaner is just rock solid.

jwpick42
02/11/2016, 12:39 PM
Lifereef.. Had lots of high end skimmers euroreef, reef octopus, vertex, etc..., all had beautiful build quality but required constant adjustment. Bought a lifereef and will never go back. Thing is a work horse. Don't second guess it...

I have heard nothing but good things about the LifeReef. In fact, I have almost pulled the trigger and bought one on two occasions. My biggest concern is the noise. It's my top skimmer choice, but if it's loud I'll get the beat down from the wifey.

Thoughts?

Johnseye
02/11/2016, 12:40 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the LifeReef. In fact, I have almost pulled the trigger and bought one on two occasions. My biggest concern is the noise. It's my top skimmer choice, but if it's loud I'll get the beat down from the wifey.

Thoughts?
The venturi is loud imho.

Pablos RSM 450
02/11/2016, 01:05 PM

Thoughts?

Here is video of mine compared to the RLSS before I built a silencer.

https://youtu.be/2i39VaTQ3WE

After the silencer.

https://youtu.be/lWgti-6HUIc

You can see other skimmers I have ran in my channel. The Lifereef has finished breaking in and I am impressed at the skimm it pulls I am still dialing it in. I will post another video showing the skimm it pulls.

oseymour
02/11/2016, 01:29 PM

After the silencer.

You can see other skimmers I have ran in my channel. The Lifereef has finished breaking in and I am impressed at the skimm it pulls I am still dialing it in. I will post another video showing the skimm it pulls.

Dude, I watch your reefer videos on YouTube. Nice tank.

heritage
02/17/2016, 08:13 PM
I read SO many comments about them I rushed to jump the gun on the Q2, they definitely need to work out some bugs on those things, just FYI

What are the bugs that you found with this skimmer ?
I was looking to replace my xs200 with this skimmer for sump space till I saw your post. :o

jason2459
02/17/2016, 08:16 PM
The Aquamaxx Q series "improvements" didn't look very convincing. I really like the EM series. Extremely happy with my EM300.

heritage
02/17/2016, 09:02 PM
The Aquamaxx Q series "improvements" didn't look very convincing. I really like the EM series. Extremely happy with my EM300.

Thanks Jason . who else sells these skimmers ?
Marine depot only shows the 600 and that's way to big.

Edit I found it

USC-fan
02/17/2016, 09:03 PM
Cant go wrong with the many NW skimmers out there. If you look at the Tank of month here you have to go back years to find anyone not running a NW skimmer.

It really the best skimmer technology out there.

They are quiet, small, lowest power usage and has by far the most selection. The recirculating NW designs have many advantages over the in-sump single pass skimmer. It always worth the extra getting recirculating model if you can fit it.

All skimmer techs work but most of the older types only can be run in a "tank room" were sound and size doesn't matter. Don't fall for the hype/marketing that one perform better than an others. They all work, end of story.

TLDR: Buy a recirclating NW skimmer

Kyuss
02/17/2016, 09:46 PM
I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but the SRO-3000INT I had was an absolute piece of junk. When it died I was set on a LifeReef, but naturally my washing machine broke later the same day as the skimmer so my skimmer budget got cut and I ended up picking up an AquaMaxx EM200. Way better skimmer than the Reef Octopus (for quite a bit less $) - hasn't crazed/cracked at all, I haven't had to adjust it since the first week I had it, and it skims way more consistently which leads to it pulling out way more and thicker gunk than the RO ever did. Not saying AquaMaxx is the best skimmer, but I have no complaints and for the price it's a great value IMO.

I was looking to replace my xs200 with this skimmer for sump space till I saw your post. :o

I know when they first came out they had an issue with the bubble plate coming off of the pump. They have since said that it was a manufacturing issue (part was too big so it didn't fit snug) and I believe offered to ship the new bubbles plates to anyone that had already bought a Q series. Whether that totally resolved the issue(s) I don't know since I don't have that model.

Only reason I know that much is because I picked up my EM series right when the Q came out and I read about that issue. I needed a skimmer right away since my RO died, and I hadn't seen any issues reported about the EM series, so I went with that. No regrets there because as I said above, the EM just works.

jason2459
02/17/2016, 09:50 PM
SRO has an awesome pump in the bubble blaster series. Getting a neck extension would help balance the body to those pumps considerably.

ReefRealEstate
02/17/2016, 10:09 PM
Hoping this a good one. New start up tank. Was getting the curve 9 but my tank guy said he would put this one on and not up charge me.

Kyuss
02/17/2016, 10:40 PM
SRO has an awesome pump in the bubble blaster series. Getting a neck extension would help balance the body to those pumps considerably.

Yeah, unfortunately the bubble blaster on mine died after 18 months of use. My tank build got put on the back burner due family health issues when I already had bought the RO skimmer. So while it was only used for 18 months, it was a few months past the 3 year warranty. CoralVue only had the price of a new pump to say, and with the body of the skimmer not looking too promising I just picked up the AquaMaxx for less than the replacement pump.

Heres what the body looked like after 18 months of use..
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv24/IcePickFreak/Fish%20Tank/2015/IMG_20150211_143927_zpsjhfgd4tn.jpg

heritage
02/17/2016, 10:46 PM
I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but the SRO-3000INT I had was an absolute piece of junk. When it died I was set on a LifeReef, but naturally my washing machine broke later the same day as the skimmer so my skimmer budget got cut and I ended up picking up an AquaMaxx EM200. Way better skimmer than the Reef Octopus (for quite a bit less $) - hasn't crazed/cracked at all, I haven't had to adjust it since the first week I had it, and it skims way more consistently which leads to it pulling out way more and thicker gunk than the RO ever did. Not saying AquaMaxx is the best skimmer, but I have no complaints and for the price it's a great value IMO.

I know when they first came out they had an issue with the bubble plate coming off of the pump. They have since said that it was a manufacturing issue (part was too big so it didn't fit snug) and I believe offered to ship the new bubbles plates to anyone that had already bought a Q series. Whether that totally resolved the issue(s) I don't know since I don't have that model.

Only reason I know that much is because I picked up my EM series right when the Q came out and I read about that issue. I needed a skimmer right away since my RO died, and I hadn't seen any issues reported about the EM series, so I went with that. No regrets there because as I said above, the EM just works.

Thanks for the info.

Don't gets wrong I like my xs200 and after swapping out the psk1000 for the rodc3500s this skimmer has been steady, never having to make any adjustments.

I'll have to look into the em200 only saw the 300 and 600 But will keep the Q series on my short list.

heritage
02/17/2016, 10:50 PM
Wow... That skimmer body looks bad.

Also the em200 has been discontinued.

EvenFurther
02/18/2016, 09:16 AM
CoralVue came out with the Ice-Cap K2 skimmers, don't know about performance/longevity. They look interesting. I'm considering one since it has a small footprint.

cklayko
02/19/2016, 10:58 PM

After the silencer.

I'm surprised how loud your LR is. Mine is no where near that. Are other LR owners experiencing the same level of noise?
Yep, Reef Octopus is a cloning company.

Top five in no particular order IMO
Bubble King
ATB
Life Reef/MTC
?
?

Cabo2008
02/20/2016, 08:23 AM
I'm surprised how loud your LR is. Mine is no where near that. Are other LR owners experiencing the same level of noise?

My LR skimmer is pretty darn quiet, with the cabinet closed, I can't hear much more than a low hum. Mine's about 8 feet from where my couch is in my living room and I don't even notice it if the TV is on.

italquam
02/20/2016, 09:06 AM
I currently use an Elos NS 1000 skimmer. I have ran it for three years , with an eheim pump which is easily replaceable. If you see one available used , I highly recommend it. Also they are high quality

davocean
02/20/2016, 04:29 PM

That comment was from a while ago as I was one of the first to get one of these skimmers.
My issues were the same mentioned by others on the first run, bubble plate blowing off on start up mainly, but also a broken mounting plate, and what appeared to be a sloppy weld at the tapered part of the body.
I also did not like the screw to get to the bubble plate, tight, hard to get my hand in there and set that, and that was dry, I can only imagine harder when wet and slimed up if doing maintenance.
I know they mentioned resolving some of these issues, possibly have by now on the bigger issues like the bubble plate would be my guess

I ended up putting my old SWC 160 back on, and I have to say just picking that thing up and feeling how solid the body was in comparison to the Aquamaxx, well, makes me bummed SWC is not still in business because they made a really solid skimmer.

yacn
02/20/2016, 08:28 PM
I have been looking into buying a new skimmer for a while. I own a 10 yr old Euro Reef rs 100. I just bought a used super reef octopus 2000 xl. I haven't hooked it up yet but very interested to see if it will work any better than my ER skimmer and if it will require constant adjustment or be a set and forget it unit.

All the newer skimmers today look the same. Needle wheel impeller and bubble plate.

The main difference being the motor. All motors will need to be replaced eventually. Are these motors easily available and are they expensive may be something to consider.

I am fortunate and can afford nicer things, but prefer the best bang for the buck w/o sacrificing quality. I don't need a Ferrari, but if I owned a Ferrari I would probably be paying someone to take care of my tank in the first place.

Post asked for top 5 around $500....which bubble king, atb, life reef and many others that shouldn't be on this list. I think everyone knows the most expensive skimmers. after all...We're talking tiny bubbles in an acrylic chamber

forddna
04/30/2016, 05:42 PM

After the silencer.

That really makes me have zero interest in a Lifereef. Thank you!

jason2459
04/30/2016, 08:33 PM
That really makes me have zero interest in a Lifereef. Thank you!
Good thing there's lots of options out there.

DamonG
05/01/2016, 12:03 PM
I just ran across this, as I had participated.. I'm still impressed by my skimz 251.. Been nothing but a work horse...

And actually, yesterday(actually, over the last 4 days), it pulled the nastiest, funkiest skim I have ever smelled our produced in a saltwater tank.. Nothing died, evening is normal,I didn't increase anything at all.. I'm not sure if the tank is maturing(it just passed the one year mark when I initially set up this system), or what it is..

But the pictures can't convey how utterly nasty this stuff was.. It goes down in the hall of fame of skim in my book...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160501/3e35e7bb430f483a6917296393160304.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160501/7d98957fb4f36f6a6a72701e09c7430f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

yacn
12/30/2017, 02:59 PM
I have been looking into buying a new skimmer for a while. I own a 10 yr old Euro Reef rs 100. I just bought a used super reef octopus 2000 xl. I haven't hooked it up yet but very interested to see if it will work any better than my ER skimmer and if it will require constant adjustment or be a set and forget it unit.

All the newer skimmers today look the same. Needle wheel impeller and bubble plate.

The main difference being the motor. All motors will need to be replaced eventually. Are these motors easily available and are they expensive may be something to consider.

I am fortunate and can afford nicer things, but prefer the best bang for the buck w/o sacrificing quality. I don't need a Ferrari, but if I owned a Ferrari I would probably be paying someone to take care of my tank in the first place.

Post asked for top 5 around $500....which bubble king, atb, life reef and many others that shouldn't be on this list. I think everyone knows the most expensive skimmers. after all...We're talking tiny bubbles in an acrylic chamber

I tried both skimmers side by side for a few months, and the SRO was slightly better. I like the size of the collection cup but didn't like the way the cup pulls off the body to empty the collection cup on the SRO....it was hard to pull off and spilled the sludge a couple of times. I like the twist off cup better on the Euro reef but it's a bit small and required emptying more often. The SRO takes up more space in my sump. Euro reef was easier to clean. Neither skimmer needed any adjustments once set up & very little maintenance.

The Bubble Blaster Pump just died on SRO....I bought it used so I don't know how many years it actually worked before dying. Coral Vue wants $240 just to replace the pump!! And $90 to replace the impeller. But I need a new pump. Ridiculous!! For that amount of money I'd rather spend another hundred or so and buy a new skimmer. DONE WITH REEF OCTOPUS SKIMMERS!

Euro Reef is back up and running. In the past I've had to replace pump on this skimmer too, but it was less than $100 for the pump, and a replacement impeller less than $30.

Looking for smaller footprint skimmer (maybe one with motor inside skimmer unless that's a bad idea) as I don't have a ton of room in my 40 gallon sump and would like the extra room in the sump to add more equipment down the road if I want to, I don't care about noise since sump is in my basement and the 150 gallon DT tank is on 1st floor.

I don't want to spend $1,000....thinking around $500-$600. Is lifereef really the way to go??? I am using Iwaki MD70RLT return pump and don't want to run another energy eating pump for skimmer was another thought.

dangros
07/29/2018, 11:09 AM
...I believe their are good skimmers and better skimmers, but as a whole you generally won't find an awful skimmer and then an amazing skimmer. They all generally fall into a lumped group of simply getting the job done adequately."
:dance:

I agree for the most part but when the tank is in the living room, behind the couch, a silent skimmer is not a marginally better skimmer, it's a game changer and something I need to find.

Waterobert
07/29/2018, 01:32 PM
The best skimmer I ever owned was ATB 840. Quiet and very consistent performance.

jason2459
08/01/2018, 11:40 PM
Funny thing is the top 5 performing skimmer from 10, 15, 20 years ago can still hold up as a top 5 performing skimmer today.