PDA

View Full Version : refugium

alebrun
08/13/2015, 12:23 PM
does anyone run a successful reef tank without the use of a refugium..???

ClownsRCoo
08/13/2015, 12:25 PM
Yes tons of people. Most people's refugium is probably too small to effectively make a difference anyway.

ericarenee
08/13/2015, 12:25 PM
does anyone run a successful reef tank without the use of a refugium..???

Most people do...

alebrun
08/13/2015, 02:07 PM
just wondering. I recently got a biopellet reactor. I'm going to be using all in one biopellets which should replace the need for cultivating algae. Besides, deep sand beds in a refugium tend to be dirt magnets over time.

davocean
08/13/2015, 02:33 PM
It depends on what your purpose is for running a refugium.
The name itself, taken from the word refuge, it's original intended use is for a place lacking predation for the intended purpose of allowing pods a safe zone in order to reproduce.
So if you have fish that eat pods such as mandarin's that must have them, or anthias or anything else that greatly benefits from always having that live natural food source available, they are awesome.
Also having a reverse light cycle on one helps stabilize PH drop at night.
If you are looking for nutrient export, it could depend on size of fuge and your setup as to whether or not that does much for you.
You do not need sand to have a beneficial refugium, I never have sand in my fuge.

ericarenee
08/13/2015, 06:35 PM
It depends on what your purpose is for running a refugium.
The name itself, taken from the word refuge, it's original intended use is for a place lacking predation for the intended purpose of allowing pods a safe zone in order to reproduce.
So if you have fish that eat pods such as mandarin's that must have them, or anthias or anything else that greatly benefits from always having that live natural food source available, they are awesome.
Also having a reverse light cycle on one helps stabilize PH drop at night.
If you are looking for nutrient export, it could depend on size of fuge and your setup as to whether or not that does much for you.
You do not need sand to have a beneficial refugium, I never have sand in my fuge.

This My Fuge is a gorgeous wild Mangrove Macro algae filled . Crustation Populated Echo system.. Fuge do work But only on a larger scale then most people have room for.....

davocean
08/13/2015, 06:47 PM
This My Fuge is a gorgeous wild Mangrove Macro algae filled . Crustation Populated Echo system.. Fuge do work But only on a larger scale then most people have room for.....

It is nice to have a cool macro growing and visible fuge when you have room, and done properly of course, which I'm sure you have done.
Mine is more utility at this time, and I often end up using it as frag storage temporarily, or jail for those waiting to be rehomed after bad behavior.
You'd go straight into my fuge!:lol:

mrkalel
08/14/2015, 12:00 AM
I plumbed a display fuge into my sustem and have loved it...

My fuge is 1/2 the size of my display, so it benefits my system greatly. It also allows me to keep my eel and lobster there without worry of danger to my mixed reef.

If you have the space to do it..why not. It can't hurt and it brings another aspect to your system.