PDA

View Full Version : Media reactor for GFO and Carbon

SDP222
08/13/2015, 05:39 PM
Anyone tried the NextReef MR1 Shorty Media Reactor? I'm thinking of picking one up and I like the idea of the smaller size for my 90 gallon setup.

moondoggy4
08/13/2015, 08:05 PM
I have the NR MR1Shorty It is a nice little reactor I like it because it can be hung on the side of the tank or sump. It is l 7 1/2'' tall so it could be difficulty to put into a sump it could be under water I have not tried it way, only on the sides. Another potential problem is how much media you can put in it, I put floss and carbon in it seems ok for my 120 though.

SDP222
08/13/2015, 08:27 PM
I have the NR MR1Shorty It is a nice little reactor I like it because it can be hung on the side of the tank or sump. It is l 7 1/2'' tall so it could be difficulty to put into a sump it could be under water I have not tried it way, only on the sides. Another potential problem is how much media you can put in it, I put floss and carbon in it seems ok for my 120 though.
Thanks, I won't keep it in the sump so that shouldn't be an issue.

Buzz1329
08/17/2015, 06:37 PM
Anyone tried the NextReef MR1 Shorty Media Reactor? I'm thinking of picking one up and I like the idea of the smaller size for my 90 gallon setup.

I tried the Shorty but was not happy with it. I prefer Phosban reactor and/or BRS reactor.

Good luck,

Mike

SDP222
08/17/2015, 07:20 PM
I tried the Shorty but was not happy with it. I prefer Phosban reactor and/or BRS reactor.

Good luck,

Mike
Thanks Mike! I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the BRS one now, I've heard a couple others agree with that as well!

Allentown
08/18/2015, 07:20 AM
I have both the SMR 1 and the MR 1. The SMR series I believe has the darker plastic and was originally marketed more for biopellters (I run carbon in mine though as I am a member of the "biopellets=cyano victims club). If they have a MR1 shorty I'd recommend that.

The reactors are top shelf...easiest and best made I have had although I have not had the BRS.

I do have the BRS 6 stage RO universal system and I believe the canisters are the same....they also appear to be high quality and more suited to being mounted by the rim of the underside of the cabinet where as the next reefs are obviously better suited your just sitting in the cabinet or even in the sump.

I actually sit mine I'm the ato resovoir just to prevent any water that might drip if I were to ever make the mistake of not sealing it good and having a slow drip leak.