PDA

View Full Version : Sump in Stand

SassyAngel111
08/13/2015, 08:18 PM
On a store bought stand can the back be cut so I can fit my sump in without any issues? The back is the same as the front but without the glass door. http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariums/marineland-56-gallon-column-aquarium-ensemble-zid36-17294/cat-36-catid-300065

Thanks for the help on this.

Neebles
08/13/2015, 08:37 PM
If the back is solid, I personally wouldn't do it without some sort of major reinforcement.

SassyAngel111
08/13/2015, 09:01 PM
The back looks exactly like the front but without the glass.

davocean
08/13/2015, 09:02 PM
Not on that stand, it's MDF, if you have not bought it already or can return it I would opt for anything that is solid lumber over MDF in a marine environment.

SassyAngel111
08/13/2015, 10:25 PM
well the only thing is that this is the stand that came with the tank.

davocean
08/14/2015, 08:27 AM
Well I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking what you have then, just a heads up, the MDF does not last long usually.
I would not cut into it as it is designed so each panel is structurally supportive, at least not w/out adding framing to counter that.

ericarenee
08/14/2015, 11:12 AM
Well I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking what you have then, just a heads up, the MDF does not last long usually.
I would not cut into it as it is designed so each panel is structurally supportive, at least not w/out adding framing to counter that.

1+

The only way you could do this is to cut a hole in the back . exact size you need to fit it... Then on the inside of the stand take a piece of plywood .and glue and screw to create a new back... then Glue and screw the plug you cut out on the back into its natural place.. Be sure to CALK and prime any exposed mdf edges Moisture alone will make it swell . does not even need to be wet...

Without correct tools and Skills

NO Buy another stand....

Another option..

Those stands are usually in pieces and self assembled or assembled by the store.. You may be able to take it apart and build it back with the sump in place... If yo do this Glue everything back together With Laminate FLOOR Glue.. its the best adhesive for mdf ....... As its designed for mdf ...

SassyAngel111
08/15/2015, 05:59 AM
thanks everyone I will be just setting the sump on the floor next to the tank.

I had to move everything from a 72gl pentagon to this 56gl column, since my husband decided he wants a divorce and I had to move in with my daughter and her family, and they did not have room for the 72. so I had to leave that behind but took the 56gl that was set up as a fresh and this will be my new reef tank.

I need about another 36gl water to finish filling the tank then I will be using once again Turbo boost with ammonia chloride to kick start the cycling process.

Once I have the tank filled I will update with pictures.