PDA

View Full Version : Persistent foamy bubbles in newly cycled tank sump

mandarin417
08/14/2015, 05:28 AM
On day 14 on a combo of Dr. Tim’s and aquavitro (seachem) Seed bacteria addition. Ammonia and Nitrites finally cycling down to zero within 24 hours after dosing with ammonium chloride. Started growing algae on rocks and glass so nitrates must be up. Haven’t measured while waiting for nitrites to drop and will do a partial water change tonight.

Display tank is around 120 gallons with a 24x24x19 inch marineland rimless tank as the sump. No baffles with a return pump and Lifereef skimmer. I don’t get any microbubbles from the skimmer into the display tank and I believe I have the skimmer tuned well enough to pull proteins out. Salt mixes used during the cycle are regular IO and Reef Crystals.

I have been seeing persistent clumps of med sized (dirty) foamy bubbles sitting on the surface of the sump water. My thought is that there are proteins but the skimmer is pulling well. Any idea why I am seeing this? I guess it could also be residual garbage from my sandbed which I did rinse well but was moved a bit when I started up my Ecotechs.

toothybugs
08/14/2015, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you are seeing skimming occurring outside the skimmer as well as inside it. Put that skimmer in a chamber and you will probably see a reduction or elimination of such crud bubbles.