PDA

View Full Version : Return pump keeps stalling

ojonas81
08/14/2015, 07:30 AM
I have noticed that my return pump every so often (once every month or other month) just stalls. I usually have to take it out, clean it and put it back together again and hope it will work for a longer time. The pump is relatively new (less than 6 months) and it is a Fluval Sea SP4 pump. Is this normal for everyone to have the pump stall that often or do all of you do weekly cleanings on it?

Thanks!

Wazzel
08/14/2015, 07:35 AM
It may need to be descaled. Have you ever soaked it in vinegar?

ojonas81
08/14/2015, 08:15 AM
Yes, that is what I do each time I clean it/fix it after a stall.

Was thinking, could the Ca and Alk 2 part is being added just before the intake. Could that be one cause of the issue?

markalot
08/14/2015, 08:18 AM
Yes, that is what I do each time I clean it/fix it after a stall.

Was thinking, could the Ca and Alk 2 part is being added just before the intake. Could that be one cause of the issue?

IMO yes. I add mine in the first chamber where I also have a strong circulation pump to keep everything stirred up before going to the second chamber where my skimmer is. This allows for the 2 part to get good and mixed before hitting the return pump.

Might be worth a try to move it.

ojonas81
08/14/2015, 08:19 AM
IMO yes. I add mine in the first chamber where I also have a strong circulation pump to keep everything stirred up before going to the second chamber where my skimmer is. This allows for the 2 part to get good and mixed before hitting the return pump.

Might be worth a try to move it.

I will give this a try. Thanks!