PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling GFO?

cadmanof50s
08/14/2015, 10:19 AM
Is it necessary to have the GFO tumble lightly for it to work effectively?

I use a Vertex Media reactor to run GFO through my tank. Quite frankly working with GFO, cleaning it, replacing it is a real PIA as it gets everywhere and makes a terrible mess. I dread the monthly replacement of the GFO media.

So I would like to put it into media bags and then into my reactor. This will make it much easier to replace and to clean out the system. But when I put the GFO into a media bag, it no longer tumbles in the reactor.

I can get excellent flow through the reactor even with several well filled media bags of GFO packed in....but since it is not tumbling, is it still doing what its supposed to?

Vic

Mr. Brooks
08/14/2015, 11:46 AM
Tumbling prevents the GFO from locking up into a solid block. I run really slow flow through mine because I don't want to strip the tank of phosphates super fast. It works, but when it comes time to replace GFO, it's as solid as a rock.

Tweaked
08/14/2015, 12:19 PM
Tumbling can be misleading. More of a boil

cadmanof50s
08/14/2015, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the responses.
So the tumbling is really just a way of preventing the GFO from forming a solid mass ...which in itself (I assume) could be a problem as it restricts flow and doesn't expose as much of the granular surface to the water passing through. (??)

Vic

slief
08/14/2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the responses.
So the tumbling is really just a way of preventing the GFO from forming a solid mass ...which in itself (I assume) could be a problem as it restricts flow and doesn't expose as much of the granular surface to the water passing through. (??)

Vic

Yes.. That is why tumbling the GFO is considered important. I keep mine tumbling slightly on the surface and never have a problem with it solidifying.