PDA

View Full Version : Powerheads in a 37 gal

DerNaschkatze
08/14/2015, 05:47 PM
Hi,

I have a 37 gallon reef tank, and have recently added a few sps. I only have 1 powerhead, a SunSun jvp-102 (1300 gph). I have it aimed up to the surface and then at a wall to try to create turbulence.

I was wondering if i might need another powerhead now to get the flow i need for sps corals to thrive. I figure i would put it on the opposite wall and aim it at the other to create chaotic turbulence.

Ideas?

It's a mixed tank btw, w/ softies, lps, sps, and an anemone.

mjc041800
08/15/2015, 11:25 AM
I have 2(simple ones) in my 36 gallon bowfront. I have 1 in the front, in the middle, and the other in the back, towards the bottom, and my rock work in the center of the tank. I put those to where they make a circular motion around the rock.

Then I have my skimmer and filter up at the top where the clean water that exits them disturbs the water for gas exchange, but not too much(they don't do too much water movement and the skimmer sure makes a lot of bubbles).

All this does seem to be a little too much for my tank and the new corals and I recently put a few softies in.

I might later upgrade to a single pump(more high quality).

Also with both of the pumps in my tank doesn't make it look good no matter how hard I try :), The pumps are just to bulky.

What kind of anemone do you have? Has it moved around the tank due to water movement, looking for a change in water movement? Some anemones don't like strong water movement.

Hope this gives you an idea and helps!

(also would anybody else say it is a little too much for my tank? is there any other way I could put them to make it look better? could I take out one? does putting them up to the surface like that really work? thanks)

moondoggy4
08/15/2015, 11:28 AM
You will need something adjustable either a Eco Tech MP 10 pricey Jebaoe RW 4 or a MP 4 both are cheap. These all can be found on the sponsor site, Eco Tech or Reefbreeders.