PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sump Builder

40gal
08/14/2015, 09:18 PM
I've had a new sump on my wish list for some time now. I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I saw some really nice sumps about a year ago from aquaboxaquariums. I contacted them and got some very professional blueprints back from them of example sumps, along with some rough pricing.

Now that I look them up, it looks like they may be out of business. I believe they were down in the Richmond, VA area, which I could even drive down to pick up. I tried contacting them back at the email address I had but haven't heard anything back yet.

Are there any good sump builders that offer reasonable pricing that anyone recommends? I'd prefer something located closer to me (greater DC area).

EllisJuan
08/14/2015, 09:39 PM
Advanced Acrylics is building one for me that I should be receiving first half of next week. I'll post some pictures when I get it.

shifty51008
08/14/2015, 09:58 PM
Not in your area but you can check out melevesreef

mushumatt
08/15/2015, 04:00 AM
+1 for melev he is a great guy and does some great work.

40gal
08/15/2015, 01:38 PM
Melev is a good guy. I've actually worked with Marc in the past. It was back when he was just getting started in the 2003/2004 timeframe. That's an option that I haven't ruled out, but I'd like to find something a little closer if possible.

drew930
08/15/2015, 06:59 PM
I would go with Melevsreef. I have heard nothing but great reviews about him. Advanced Acrylics has terrible communication. When you want to order or get a quote, they are quick. But if they build it wrong or you have a problem they never respond. They were supposed to build me a dosing container, and they never did. I paid for the sump and dosing container upfront and I never received the dosing container, and they did not communicate back. I tested this theory awhile back and sent a message saying I wanted something built and I got an email rather quickly, then when I said, hey thanks for replying for the first time in a year, they never responded again lol Advanced Acrylics has some nice stuff, but poor poor communication. Just my experience.

40gal
08/15/2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I take it no one has any info on aqua box aquariums in Richmond, VA? I'm leaving my options open for now, but since I have personal experience with Melev I may go back that route.