PDA

View Full Version : Orbit Marine LEDs

Nico the Reefer
08/15/2015, 03:39 PM
I have been running Orbit Marine LED's over my 30 gallon long reef tank and my corals have been struggling for quite some time now (not opening, growing, etc.). I was wondering if just running one 24-36" light strip over my 30" long by 20" deep tank would be enough. All of my soft corals are doing fine along with my duncan coral. My euphyllias are closed up quite a bit and look pathetic. I am thinking this light cannot produce the PAR my tank needs to foster LPS coral. My LPS pieces are placed in the middle to top of my tank and are receiving moderate to low water flow. I have been doing weekly water changes to get rid of the hair algae outbreak I have been having. At first, I attributed the excess phosphate in the tank to be disturbing my corals, but I have been wondering if these lights become useless after 2 years and need to be replace/upgraded. I am aware that old T5 and compact fluorescent bulbs begin to lean towards the red spectrum once they have been exhausted, but does this same condition occur in old LED lights. I am highly thinking about upgrading to some Ecotech Marine Radions because they're 10% off right now, and as they would give me a great PAR reading and customization of color. My current lights can be controlled, but I have them cranked up almost all of the way, yet my corals still don't respond well.

Thanks for any help.

Shark.Bait
08/15/2015, 08:29 PM
I'm confused, do you have the leds or are you getting them?

texdoc77
08/15/2015, 08:30 PM
Just to be clear, you've had that light set up for two years and nothing else has changed and all of a sudden the Lps are doing poorly? Sorry I'm a little confused on the timing of it all...

Shark.Bait
08/15/2015, 08:31 PM
I run two of the 36-48" over my 7ft 265 gallon tank, which doesn't even cover the full length. I'm keeping sps, lps, chalice, anemone and soft coral as well, my tank is flourishing. I will be adding more light only because it doesn't cover the full thickness of the tank. My corals probably could use more light, but everything is still growing.

I'd tentatively say that it may be your water parameters or some other factor, not the light. Usually corals expand and stretch towards the light when they aren't receiving enough, not recede.

theatrus
08/15/2015, 09:22 PM
Based on this: http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.pdf

Your PAR on the non Pro models even at 12" is incredibly low. I wouldn't expect much growth or happy LPS without feeding.

Ron Reefman
08/16/2015, 06:36 AM
With a 20" deep tank, these lights are just barely enough to keep simple corals. I would expect lps to struggle. These ate 1/3rd to 1/2 watt leds, they don't penetrate the water enough except over a very shallow tank (10" to 15").

similacbreath13
09/01/2015, 10:42 PM
One year running same lights on a similar setup . Had good growth on zoos ,Monti ,etc all growing and color.