PDA

View Full Version : Help with old Turboflotor 1000 with trickle filter

oldpaddy
08/15/2015, 04:15 PM
Hello hello, I just picked up a used turboflotor 1000 that includes a rio2100 pump and a trickle filter. Can I get rid of the trickle filter and place this outside of the sump? I know 1000's can be either in sump or external, but the trickle filter is throwing me off. Should the Rio have a special impeller? It's just a regular impeller in it now.

Thanks! https://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/secure/images/products/460.gif

Sounds Fishy
08/15/2015, 05:24 PM
I had an older aqua medic skimmer turboflotor 1500,SL.. It could either be used external or internally. If you want to hang the one you have,I would say ,no,IMO.I do not see how it can be adapted.Why not go to the Aqua Medic website and read up on your model.Maybe there are pieces you can by from the manufacturer.Perhaps you with find an adapter or maybe they will give you suggestions.I have had to call them a couple times and they have good customer service.The pump my Turcoflotor used was an Ocean Runner 2500.The only thing you have to watch for is that as you described,...an old skimmer.If you have to replace or add any adapter,it can get pricey.Is the Rio pump the original pump for that?

oldpaddy
08/15/2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks, I don't know if it's the original pump. I know the skimmer works pretty good. I worked on the system it was originally in. I am not a big fan of bioballs and I want the room in the sump for a deep sand bed.
The manufacturers website didn't help me much. I sent them an email earlier.

oldpaddy
08/16/2015, 04:46 AM
So the more I read the more I'm coming to terms with the probable fact that this will have to be in the sump and that I'm not going to have a dsb in the sump. I still want a refugium compartment. BUT I can't find any prebuilt sumps that have a skimmer compartment large enough to hold the trickle filter and have a refugium. I've thought about making my own sump, but I'm not sure I'm up to the task of drilling glass for the external pump. I wonder if I can remove the trickle filter. I hope the manufacturer can give me some help.