PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Moonlight LED

DerNaschkatze
08/15/2015, 10:14 PM
Opinion on moonlight LEDs?

E_shaw90
08/15/2015, 10:59 PM
I run a lunar cycle through apex via Radions.

Ron Reefman
08/16/2015, 06:31 AM
Both answers 3 and 4 apply. They certainly aren't needed, but I have them, I like them and they are OK. But they are for my pleasure and I know my in tank friends could care less.

Buzz1329
08/19/2015, 02:36 AM
Both answers 3 and 4 apply. They certainly aren't needed, but I have them, I like them and they are OK. But they are for my pleasure and I know my in tank friends could care less.

Agreed. Use them for first and last hour of my light cycle with my Reef Beeders LEDs.

alton
08/19/2015, 06:03 AM
I wish the manufactures would use a soft white led in the 2k range almost red that doesn't bother fish. When I ran the blues or whites from DA my fish would not sleep, and instead swam the tank all night. I sold it. My boss has the Giesemann Moon light fixture that came with a 5w incandescent lamp and it has worked perfectly in the tank for 15 years.

Wazzel
08/19/2015, 06:10 AM
I use mine because it entertains me. I do not think it does anything beneficial for the tank. I run it on low power.

toothybugs
08/19/2015, 06:28 AM
I DIY'd a set using just 3 2-inch strips of an inexpensive warm white LED I got off of Amazon. I have never liked "blue" moonlights, because, well, the moon isn't bright blue :P

They are 1/4W and I run them with a dimmer at the lowest setting it will go, which is either 5 or 10%. They are a very faint, pale bone white illumination that you have to have the room nearly black to see. I totally love 'em.

Now that I think about it, I have a spare controller, I might put them on a ramp overnight. Maybe.

ca1ore
08/19/2015, 09:33 AM
I wish the manufactures would use a soft white led in the 2k range almost red that doesn't bother fish. When I ran the blues or whites from DA my fish would not sleep, and instead swam the tank all night. I sold it. My boss has the Giesemann Moon light fixture that came with a 5w incandescent lamp and it has worked perfectly in the tank for 15 years.

I think most of the moonlights are far too bright. I've done lots of night diving, and other than apex full moon, the light on the reef is very dim.

I'm in the 'not necessary but I like them' camp.