PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer troubles

Apartmenttank
08/16/2015, 01:24 AM
i can't get my skimmer to flow at the right speed it is a reef octopus classic 110 SSE.

My system is a 60 cube with 15 gallon sump(needs an upgrade I know)

At first it was running to hard and filling the cup in seconds, I have been adjusting it and I can't get it to foam over the edge without just dumping water into the collection cup. Any way to fix this how much should be going over the edge?

E_shaw90
08/16/2015, 01:38 AM
New skimmer? If so was it washed prior to being put in place? 7-8" water level in the sump? Try removing the collection up....turn it on....adjust the gate valve to adjust the bubbles to form (not over flowing) just below the black ring where the collection cup attaches to the body. Put the cup back in place and let it run for a few hours. After a few hours make your small fine tuning adjustments.

Sounds Fishy
08/16/2015, 02:09 AM
Hi
If it is a new skimmer,it takes a couple weeks to break in.

kinnadian
08/16/2015, 03:34 AM
Helps to run it for a couple days in vinegar to remove manufacturing residue.

Also takes a while to properly break in.

mikeatjac
08/16/2015, 03:51 AM
Are your air inlet holes clean?
Is your water level steady close to 7".
Do you have a bio load?
If new then you have let it break in.

I see you are new to the hobby and just set up this tank so the best advise is go slow.

Apartmenttank
08/16/2015, 11:13 AM
It is used I bought the whole system from a guy, I'm just worried it isn't doing anything because the cup keep poring back into the water

mikeatjac
08/16/2015, 11:31 AM
if it dried out then treat it as new.
Check your air intakes to make sure they are not plugged.
Might have gotten something in the pump so check that out. Sounds like you are not getting air to the skimmer.

Apartmenttank
08/16/2015, 11:39 AM
Not getting air would make it over bubble?

Apartmenttank
08/16/2015, 07:32 PM
Found the problem I was attempting to get the wet bubbles to make it to the very top.