PDA

View Full Version : Return pump line ...strange syphon. Pls advice.

miserkris
08/16/2015, 03:54 PM
Hello.

This is my return pump outlet. A and B are two locline arms both of its flares are above water line.

There is a small hole that C. i ensure its never clogged regularly.

Current water level after its been off is marked by D.

Even now water slowly seeps in return line and fills sump....very very slowly.
It's been 30 Min. ...and it still seeps thru.

Why is that and how can i fix it?

Pls advice. Thanks.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/328924261da2447a61f2a90a1fa0f3a0.jpg

ericarenee
08/16/2015, 03:59 PM
Either a fitting , Over flow walls or something might be leaking water...

No real way to tell without being there and seeing where the water is draining thru....
Mine will do this for a bit after a shut down. But my drain is almost 20 feet long... and return is 14 feet ...

miserkris
08/16/2015, 05:09 PM
Either a fitting , Over flow walls or something might be leaking water...

No real way to tell without being there and seeing where the water is draining thru....
Mine will do this for a bit after a shut down. But my drain is almost 20 feet long... and return is 14 feet ...
So eventually yours will completely stop draining by syphon?

Maybe i should widen the syphon breaking hole. ..

Between my first post and this one it has drained quarter inch in my 20 long sump.

ericarenee
08/16/2015, 05:10 PM
So eventually yours will completely stop draining by syphon?

Maybe i should widen the syphon breaking hole. ..

Between my first post and this one it has drained quarter inch in my 20 long sump.
Something is likely leaking

icebrg5
08/16/2015, 05:13 PM
It wouldn't matter if you widen the siphon hole or not.

If there is a bulkhead or fitting that's leaking then it will continue to leak until it is below the level of the leaking bulkhead or fitting.

You could let the tank sit and let it continue to drain until it stops and then look around the water level of the tank is at and then you should be able to find what bulkhead or fitting is causing the issue.

Steve Atkins
08/16/2015, 09:31 PM
I doubt that lockline is completely waterproof. Water will probably drain back till base "Y" of lockline in almost completely exposed. If it keeps going after that than the weir itself may be leaking.

RocketEngineer
08/17/2015, 08:13 AM
There is a simple test to see if this is the issue. Lift the return totally out of the water and see if you still have water leaving the tank. If you do, the returns aren't the issue. I think you have a leaking overflow box and the return isn't the problem.

Vinny Kreyling
08/17/2015, 08:43 AM
After looking again it does appear the slits in the overflow box are still very close to the surface, perhaps even slightly under?
Guys who build rockets really are smart!

miserkris
08/17/2015, 08:26 PM
You'll are right. There's ha blocking some vents over the mega flow. Maybe water is seeping thru that. Or mega flow joints have leakage.

Is there an economical auto backup power i can use that'll power a return pump [i have a jebao in my 75]for like 24hr?

Or at very least power an aqua lifter pump so i can return sw back to dt from sump during an outage?

This way it'll prevent sump from overflowing. ...during outage while I'm away for few days. I do have a friend check my dt every day when I'm away.

Thanks. ...

Vinny Kreyling
08/18/2015, 07:36 AM
I would doubt the overflow box itself is leaking.
Better to fix the problem.
If a bigger sump is needed then that is what must be done or Mr. Murphy will eventually pay you a visit.