PDA

View Full Version : Tiger pistol

alwmh4
08/16/2015, 05:29 PM
I'm looking at getting a goby and a snapping shrimp. Site says it's a tiger shrimp. Is this shrimp a risk for ANY critters in my tank. I'm quite partial to my skunk and don't want to get him killed. It is a reef tank. 130 ga.

Ebone
08/16/2015, 05:41 PM
mine is a digging and rearranging fool!!! and his yellow goby always has his back haha.... never hurt anything but a lost snail who spent a little too much time in their house....

alwmh4
08/16/2015, 08:32 PM
I read the
Listing wrong. It's a red banded pistol not a tiger

sam.basye
08/16/2015, 11:26 PM
You should be fine. They only get defensive if a fish/invert is looking in its hole or gets to close, or a hermit/snail is to close.
They generally don't venture away from their burrow more than a few inches looking for food.

It will either snap at it angrily till it goes away or try to use it as building material.

I don't have a cleaner shrimp, but I think you'd be fine. - as long as it's more than say 10g. You probably won't see it much in a 130g.

Betta132
08/17/2015, 01:45 PM
Pistols can only kill very soft-bodied critters like worms, everything else is resilient enough to not be hurt.
The only other animals they endanger are dumb hermits, as they'll sometimes incorporate hermits into their tunnel supports if the hermits keep coming inside. Pistol shrimp line their tunnels with bits of rubble to help keep them up, and they'll use a hermit that isn't smart enough to stay away. Hermits are usually strong enough to drag themselves out, but sometimes they get stuck.

donut0079
08/17/2015, 06:22 PM
If the red banded that you are listing is a randalls then there is nothing to worry about. They are the safest pistol out there. Most problems with pistols come from misidentification.

alwmh4
08/17/2015, 06:24 PM
Good to know. Thank you

cprice
08/22/2015, 02:48 PM
For the most part, I have loved watching mine in my 29 gallon nano. However, there is constantly sand and other small particles in my water column. With a 130 it probably wont be as noticeable. If you haven't purchased one yet, you can have mine. Its the tiger pistol though, not the red-banded. I just want him to quit using my ricordea and zoa frags as his front door haha! Hes paired with a nice yellow watchman goby (with really bright blue spots). Just let me know.

alwmh4
08/22/2015, 02:59 PM
Lol he sounds kinda funny though I can understand your frustration. I'm still thinking about it but I have committed. I have this huge tank w four little fish and can't decide what else to put in (until of course I get to the tang level)