PDA

View Full Version : Automated Water Changes Question.

Allentown
08/16/2015, 10:24 PM
My new tank will have a pump that's capable of pumping water directly out into the homes plumbing.

It seems to me that a simple Tune ATO used I'm conjuction could yield automatic water changes.

1)Mix a slightly hyposalinity mix in your ATO (Say around 1.15).

2) Program your a expulsion pump to run for two seconds four or five times a day)

3) Closely monitor your salinity until you find the right mix that works correctly in conjunction with your evaporation rate.

4) Have both your ATO and water change needs met without the need for a seperate salt mixing station.

Has anyone attempted this????

I suppose with two ATO systems and the apex salinity monitor you could actually program parameters instructing the system to use either the RODI or salt mix in real time.

Anyone done that???

shifty51008
08/16/2015, 11:07 PM
People have tried this and failed, as temp changes so does how much you evaporate so it is always changeing.

If you wanna do a auto water change system you can get a spectrapure system or a masterflex pump with dual heads so they pump the same ammount through each. Either one isnt real cheap but is much safer

Allentown
08/16/2015, 11:58 PM
Wouldn't the problem be fixed the Apex salinity monitor and two ATO resovoirs (one fresh water and one salt) so that the system monitors the salinity in real time and......

The commands would look something likes this:

Fresh Water Reservoir ATO: If SG >1.023 Then On
Salt Reservoir ATO: If SG <1.024 Then On

Drainage Pump would just be set to come on a few seconds per day.

shifty51008
08/17/2015, 12:05 AM
to be honest I don't have a controller as I am old school and wouldn't want one peice of equipment controlling my tank, I am not that trust worthy on electronics so I really couldn't answer that question.

Allentown
08/17/2015, 12:09 AM
to be honest I don't have a controller as I am old school and wouldn't want one peice of equipment controlling my tank, I am not that trust worthy on electronics so I really couldn't answer that question.

Hey man I hear ya. My Apex on my 90 was the one biggest source of stress but when it works it works.

Looking at my new build, I cant be with out it...if for no reason than the auto shut down of equipment in the event water is detected.

I think wave maker and light control (most wave makers and lights have their own controllers) are gimmicks and ORP monitoring with Ozone infusion is over my head

....... but leak detection, (or overdose protection from kalk water via PH monitoring or a stuck ATO via salinity monitoring along with thermal protection (the ability to shut of heaters and turn on fans) are all certainly NOT gimmicks... Having control of as many outlet as you want for feed mode and refugium light cycles etc.

laga77
08/17/2015, 12:16 AM
Wouldn't the problem be fixed the Apex salinity monitor and two ATO resovoirs (one fresh water and one salt) so that the system monitors the salinity in real time and......

It does not work out in the real world. If you do not want to spend the bucks for a Litermeter or Masterflex, you can set up a AWC using a multi head dosing pump like the Jebao 4 head for around $100. I ran one on my 50g for about 9 months until I found a used Litermeter. They can be calibrated so they work pretty good as a AWC.

shifty51008
08/17/2015, 12:21 AM
hopefully you can get it to work, I did just do a quick search and noticed alot of pople use the apex dosing pump to do their water change, maybe thats something to consider. I also read that and little bit of stray voltage can mess with your sg probe and seeing as you have 2 jeabo's I would be careful. not that I am against them as I have the 25's and 40's which I like alot but they are just for backup if my tunze's need to be repaired but jeabo's have been know to put stray voltage in tanks.

I wish I could help you more but wish you the best of luck.

Allentown
08/17/2015, 12:52 AM
Meh, ill just use my refractometer and do the old pump in and pump out and save the money.

Bent
08/17/2015, 04:05 AM
Meh, ill just use my refractometer and do the old pump in and pump out and save the money.

That's what I do. It literally takes less than a minute to change the water.

natas
08/20/2015, 09:57 AM
I am using a Liter Meter for my automagic water changes. I do roughly 3.5 Gallons a day. I have a 50 Gallon Rotomold storage tank that holds my saltwater. The setup works really well. I havent seen any noticeable shifts in salinity with this method. The liter meter is very precise. I calibrate mine every 3 months to be safe so both new and removal are inline.