PDA

View Full Version : Which return pump to get? need some advice

djtuzik
08/17/2015, 12:07 PM
Hi
I have the following setup
120g display, 55g sump, 150 gallon fuge (stock tank)

my tank is drilled for 1.5" drain, 3/4" return.

Return will be split via T to display and the separate fuge (fuge will overflow back into the sump)

The return that is going to go to the display will have 5 outlets.
It will basically go up through the overflow box, then back down on the side of the overflow box then under the sand bed.

I'm thinking of getting a mag18 but should I do a mag24?

thx in advance!

lars65inc
08/17/2015, 12:43 PM
I'm running the Waveline DC12000 on my new 220DT. It's quiet and pumps ALOT of water. Its also controllable so you can run it at whatever speed you like. I also ran an Eheim 1262 on my 90. It was quiet and never had an issue.

Eric

Shawn O
08/17/2015, 01:04 PM
I'm curious why you're running the return lines down into the sand bed. Please elaborate.

djtuzik
08/17/2015, 01:05 PM
I want to create more flow without the use of powerheads. So the returns will not be on top of the tank, they will be coming from the bottom via PVC pipes hidden under the sand band with loc line showing

ca1ore
08/17/2015, 02:44 PM
Be VERY careful about running returns low down in the tank as they present the perfect opportunity for the entire volume to siphon back down into (and over) your sump. Speaking from personal experience, other than a CL, I would never put any return more than a 1/2" below the surface of my tank. Mag pumps are a poor choice - they are an older design, add a lot of heat (inefficient) and are noisy.

I'd ether go with eheim, sicce or the new Vectra.

booyaa138
08/17/2015, 02:47 PM
I really like my Sicce. Very quiet

davocean
08/17/2015, 03:48 PM
Totally agree w/ Ca1ore on all points, I would reconsider your plan.
Most of us do not rely on return pump for any significant display flow, that is usually done w/ additional PH's or a loop.
You will also find if you do a loop, and place any return lines at sand bed, good luck if you ever need to get to them for any reason, and it will limit your scape.
Chances are you will wish at some point you could move them.
I too learned by experience on this years ago, the hard way.

slief
08/17/2015, 04:16 PM
Totally agree w/ Ca1ore on all points, I would reconsider your plan.
Most of us do not rely on return pump for any significant display flow, that is usually done w/ additional PH's or a loop.
You will also find if you do a loop, and place any return lines at sand bed, good luck if you ever need to get to them for any reason, and it will limit your scape.
Chances are you will wish at some point you could move them.
I too learned by experience on this years ago, the hard way.

I third Ca1ore & you.. Return lines down by the sand is a BIG BIG BIG mistake IMO and would be nothing short of a very poor design. Many years back, I came home to all 500 gallons drained out of my display. The check valve failed and my home was flooded with an inch of water. It was a tough and expensive lesson to learn. I'd never make that kind of a system design mistake again.

Return lines should always be near the surface. Closed loop pumps and or power heads are the best way to create flow. Besides the obvious dangers of having the returns that low, there is no reason to have that much flow through the sump even if the sump was large enough to handle the entire tanks water volume should the tank drain through the lines which at some point it will even if check valves are used.

nuxx
08/17/2015, 04:22 PM
Running two Jebao DCT4000s on a similarly sized frag tank. Getting the job done.

djtuzik
08/18/2015, 07:11 AM
thank you
I plan to have 2 check valves as well as a 2 holes to prevent flood.
I just don't know if mag 24 will be too much for the tank.
I basically will have 1 3/4 inch pipe return matched with a 1.5 inch drain.
The return will have a few right angles etc

Vinny Kreyling
08/18/2015, 08:06 AM
Check Valves WILL FAIL eventually and should NOT be used!!!
Make the sump large enough to hold all water draining from a power failure & you will not have a flood.
Mag pumps put a lot of heat into the water especially the big ones.

nuxx
08/18/2015, 08:39 AM
Check Valves WILL FAIL eventually and should NOT be used!!!
Make the sump large enough to hold all water draining from a power failure & you will not have a flood.
Mag pumps put a lot of heat into the water especially the big ones.

Also drill small holes in each return just below the water surface, so when it drains the siphon will break fast reducing the water sucked back into the sump.