PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Kent tech M and bleaching?

enchelycore808
08/17/2015, 04:16 PM
Anyone else have this issue? Ive been using Tech M to combat bryopsis and have had multiple corals bleach on me. Warpaint Scoly, acan lords, and rics all bleach whenever i dose. The rics are the worst because I actually lose some. They start with a white patch and then slowly shrink and die. Some come back but its a slow process. The acans and scoly bleach a bit and takes a few months to get their color back.

Params:
30g cube plus 10g sump
Salinity: 1.026
cal:500ppm
alk:9.8dkh
mg:1600 but went to 1800 over the course of 2 days with tech M. (100ppm a day)

Is this typical in anyone else's exp? Dosed it once before last year for the same problem and had the same thing happen.

Art13
08/18/2015, 06:16 AM
I know i just recently did it and it ****ed off my duncan, toadstool, and zoas along with any birds nest in my tank, but the favia was unaffected. 10 days and i was bryopsis free, so i was willing to chance possibly losing one or two coral as the tank has never looked better. On the 10th or 12th day i did a water change and ran carbon, as there was no more visible bryopsis and the birds nest were starting to bleach. I may possibly have to do another round of it depending of if i got it all 100%, some people have stated it's best left in for a month or two, but i didn't want to risk it. So yes some will bleach, you have to weigh the pros and cons and decide when to stop the treatment and save the corals that are going downhill. i raised it 300ppm in three days, did about 1/7th the dose for the next 3 days, did two more doses the next two days to raise it up another 200ppm, then one last day dosing the 1/7th amount. a few days after the last dose is when i did the water change and ran carbon, everything that was upset in the tank is making a quick turn around.

enchelycore808
08/20/2015, 11:26 AM
I know i just recently did it and it ****ed off my duncan, toadstool, and zoas along with any birds nest in my tank, but the favia was unaffected. 10 days and i was bryopsis free, so i was willing to chance possibly losing one or two coral as the tank has never looked better. On the 10th or 12th day i did a water change and ran carbon, as there was no more visible bryopsis and the birds nest were starting to bleach. I may possibly have to do another round of it depending of if i got it all 100%, some people have stated it's best left in for a month or two, but i didn't want to risk it. So yes some will bleach, you have to weigh the pros and cons and decide when to stop the treatment and save the corals that are going downhill. i raised it 300ppm in three days, did about 1/7th the dose for the next 3 days, did two more doses the next two days to raise it up another 200ppm, then one last day dosing the 1/7th amount. a few days after the last dose is when i did the water change and ran carbon, everything that was upset in the tank is making a quick turn around.

Thanks for the info. What ppm did you shoot for while dosing? First time I did it, I started losing rics so I only had the tank treated for a week. Needless to say, the bryopsis came back. Guess Ill have to buckle down and leave it in the tank for longer this time.

minus9
12/03/2015, 09:47 PM
I just tried this stuff and my SPS are not happy at all. I have been keeping mag levels in check with weekly water changes, but wanted increase my levels (just a little), so I dosed 10mL (for a 22g nano) and things went south quickly. I was going to buy mag chloride/sulfate from BRS, but was at a LFS and bought a bottle of Tech M.
Anyone want a free bottle of Tech M? This stuff is going in the garbage.

Dkuhlmann
12/04/2015, 05:53 AM
Minus9, there are a few people on the Newbie forum and the Reef Discussion forums fighting Bryopsis and I'm sure one of them would take it off your hands. Maybe put a post in each of those threads.

minus9
12/04/2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks! Will do.