PDA

View Full Version : Hydor Skimmer not producing foam

ceruleanseaslug
08/17/2015, 05:05 PM
Hi I'm new to the hobby. I have a biocube 29 right now stocked only with an ocellaris clownfish and a small clean up crew. I accidentally unplugged my hydor slim skim nano protein skimmer for a day and when I plugged it back in it wasn't producing foam. There's still bubbles in the chamber but they aren't rising up to the collection cup at all. I tried adjusting the air nozzle but that had no effect. I've only had it in the tank for about a week and it's been working pretty well up until now. Do you think something could have happened when I unplugged it? I had also just cleaned out the collection cup and I hadn't noticed if it was foaming or not? I think I'll test for nitrates and see if there was a reduction. Should I soak it in vinegar? Thanks

slief
08/17/2015, 06:05 PM
Hi I'm new to the hobby. I have a biocube 29 right now stocked only with an ocellaris clownfish and a small clean up crew. I accidentally unplugged my hydor slim skim nano protein skimmer for a day and when I plugged it back in it wasn't producing foam. There's still bubbles in the chamber but they aren't rising up to the collection cup at all. I tried adjusting the air nozzle but that had no effect. I've only had it in the tank for about a week and it's been working pretty well up until now. Do you think something could have happened when I unplugged it? I had also just cleaned out the collection cup and I hadn't noticed if it was foaming or not? I think I'll test for nitrates and see if there was a reduction. Should I soak it in vinegar? Thanks

Give it 24 hours. The neck and part of the skimmer body likely dried out. It will likely need a short break in period as a result. If it's not producing foam in the next 24 hours, I'd remove the pump and inspect the inside of it for a snail intrusion or other debris. You could also put your finger over the venturi line for a second or two to plug it off. Then remove your finger. That might help to kick start the air flow if there is any obstructions in the venturi line.