PDA

View Full Version : My first FOWLR

leemosh
08/17/2015, 06:24 PM
Hi guys, I'm still new to saltwater/reefing, and I'm looking for some advice setting up a FOWLR tank. I currently have only a 30 gallon reef tank that's doing OK (stupid bryopsis), but I'd like to have some larger fish, so I was thinking of starting up a FOWLR and I was hoping to get some advice.

When it comes to stocking, can I mix different sizes of fish? Or should I stay to all bigger/medium/small fish? I'd like to have a Picasso trigger (gorgeous fish), could I also keep fish like a flame angel or a maroon clown?

What size tank would be the minimum you'd keep a Picasso trigger in? And what dimensions of tank are best?

And how about sand bottom vs. bare bottom? I like the ease of the bare bottom, but will it affect the system in some other way?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me.

nottarts23
08/17/2015, 06:51 PM
1) pick your tank size
2) then pick your fish
3) then pick your substrate
4) plan your your fish introduction in timeline
5). Check your area for demand of folwr fish.

Do a google search for the fish your want. You'll see most non reef fish want large tank. We currently have 125g fowlr but are starting to run into problems with fish size. We have been up for 2+ years and gotten rid of one fish back to LFS but are now running into two more fish that need to be moved to bigger tank and no one in area wants them. LFS only gives small amount less than we bought the fish for in store credit. Make sure to introduce fish in correct timeline. One example is clown trigger we have been told they are the last fish you introduce because they will try to take over tank if you introduce to earlier. Also research bioload of fish. Certain fish create a lot more waste than others and can cause problems in the tank.

leemosh
08/17/2015, 11:44 PM
I'm trying to pick the size based on the choice of fish. I've looked online for the minimum size of tank required for the Picasso trigger and get numbers ranging from 75 to 180 gallons, so I'm here looking for advice from others that have actual experience.

And when it comes to tank dimensions, do FOWLR tanks need to be deep or wide for the fish to swim? Or is long and shallow better?

I'm just looking for some opinions from people with more experience than myself.

nottarts23
08/18/2015, 05:55 AM
Go with biggest tank you can get. That way you have room for fish to grow. We have 3 inch sand bed because we have a now 2-3 ft snowflake in there. I don't like the fine sand because it is a mess to clean up when vacuuming bed. We went with cheap aqueon LEDs because it's only FOWLR tank. I wish we had spent extra funds on better LEDs( ocean revive good price). Because I'm interested in experimenting in coral growth to see what I can growth in this tank. I would suggest using filter socks(buy a lot) and change 4-5 days. Bio load is hard to control because every fish is different. We also run big protein skimmer to help clean as well.

leemosh
08/18/2015, 08:54 AM
Good to know about the LED choice there. I'll definitely look into those Ocean Revive ones.

Do triggers need lots of length to swim? Or would one prefer a more cube-ish tank that has lots of nooks and crannies?