PDA

View Full Version : What food?

Fishkeeper44
08/17/2015, 07:06 PM
I know this doesn't belong in this category I guess you could call it but what should I feed my my fish? I fed mysis every day but it brought my nitrates up to 80 or 90 ppm not because the fish couldn't eat it but because they couldn't get all of it before it hits the ground. My clownfish just died from choking (I think) on big shrimp. So is there anything I could feed them that won't raise my nitrates and is small enough for them to chew? Im looking into a protein skimmer right now but until then? Thanks.

ThRoewer
08/18/2015, 12:38 AM
The problem isn't the food that falls to the ground - it should get eaten by all the little critters your tank hopefully has.
The high nitrates come from the lack of a skimmer and other means of exporting organic loads. Until you get a skimmer I would go for aggressive water changes - 20% weekly should get your nitrates under control quickly.

As for smaller food - try Cyclops.

Fishkeeper44
08/18/2015, 08:19 AM
The problem isn't the food that falls to the ground - it should get eaten by all the little critters your tank hopefully has.
The high nitrates come from the lack of a skimmer and other means of exporting organic loads. Until you get a skimmer I would go for aggressive water changes - 20% weekly should get your nitrates under control quickly.

As for smaller food - try Cyclops.
Ok. Thanks.