PDA

View Full Version : Dipping corals to move to new tank

RyanChase
08/17/2015, 07:57 PM
Hello

So I recently had multiple fish die from ich (during treatment). What I'm wondering is, can I take the corals from by larger DT and dip them in coral rX and then place them into a second tank without the risk of transferring ich?
Coral example: frogspawn, hammer corals, green star polyp. I also have two anemone.

Can all these be dipped and transferred safely? Thanks for your help.

ThRoewer
08/17/2015, 11:33 PM
Unless you dip your corals for 60 minutes in concentrated bleach dipping coral won't do diddly squat against ich.

Those coral dips are designed to kill flatworms but will not have any effect on encysted Cryptocaryon tomonts. Not even copper can harm them. The only things capable of reliably killing them is heat (1h above 40°C), bleach or drying (at least for 24h).

m0nkie
08/18/2015, 11:21 AM
everything inside your DT will need to stay fallow. I recommend full 3 months.

the anemone can be moved. but you should keep it in a QT for awhile to expel all the ich water. don't dip your anemone

RyanChase
08/18/2015, 10:28 PM
Appreciate the feedback. Thanks guys

snorvich
08/19/2015, 05:29 AM
Are you sure it was ich?

RyanChase
08/19/2015, 04:40 PM
im pretty sure. fish were covered in little white dots everywhere.

the odd thing was that none of this started until i bought some corals from petco.

they had a sale on a hammer coral, frogspawn and a fanworm, so i said why the hell not. after i put those into the tank, about 2 days or so later is when i noticed something on the fish.