PDA

View Full Version : How to get the best fluorescence with supplement LEDs

Yarm79
08/18/2015, 01:47 AM
Hi Guys
After some advice where to go with this
I run an ATI Sunpower on my tank
I have 4 TMC Fiji blue aquabeams for night viewing
Thing is, looks no where near as good as my buddys radions and I believe they are the same LED's? Royal Blue.
Im wondering if its because i dont have a controller and they are on 100% they may need dimming for better fluorescence?

I have seen corals that look pretty drab but look really nice under the radions on a night, where as mine look pretty good during the day but not as good under the aquabeams.

The LEDs are UK made so unsure whether you guys can get them in the states?

nickdo
08/18/2015, 02:46 AM
UV + 420 + 450 LED provide best fluorescence.

Yarm79
08/19/2015, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the reply :) Seems my aquabeams are 450 so on the higher side, they have now brought out 410 UV but they are really expensive so, if i can get some decond hand or in a sale most likely grab 2

d2mini
08/19/2015, 06:14 PM
I got the Build My LED XB Series Super Actinic Reef Spectrum a few weeks ago to add to my MH/T5 setup.
I like it a lot! 92 LEDs across the 72" strip.
I show some pics here...
http://www.everydayreef.com/blog/2015/8/12/metal-halide-t5-led-oh-my

Steve Atkins
08/19/2015, 06:40 PM
I use only TMC Aquabeams (5 x 2000 and 2 x 1500 tiles across 1.83m).

Normally I run both channnels at the same level but if I want to demo flourescence to someone I just manually ramp/shut down the white(ish) channel. If you can't do that I am guessing you do not have the same leds in your model Aquabeam.

This seems to work pretty well since I have recently discovered the yellow birdsnest in the bottom front corner has started to glow green when I do this.

Steve

Reefvet
08/19/2015, 11:22 PM
Thing is, looks no where near as good as my buddys radions and I believe they are the same LED's? Royal Blue.

Radions have higher UV output and 'Royal Blue' LEDS are not all the same. It's a common name given to describe a deep blue light but different manufacturers DB's very dramatically in the actual light they put out.