PDA

View Full Version : tunze osmolator

Art13
08/18/2015, 07:53 AM
I recently added the regular 3155 to my tank, i do not have a sump, and its working great in tank. Question is though, the sensor itself does receive some indirect light, anyone else have this sensor in a similar situation, even if it's in the sump and receives light, how often do you clean the optical sensor?

MondoBongo
08/18/2015, 08:10 AM
i've actually never cleaned the optical sensor on my tunze, over two years in operation.

both of mine (QT and DT) are in the sump and receive ambient light. the one in QT actually receives a good amount of ambient light. i've never noticed any issues.

Art13
08/18/2015, 08:19 AM
i've actually never cleaned the optical sensor on my tunze, over two years in operation.

both of mine (QT and DT) are in the sump and receive ambient light. the one in QT actually receives a good amount of ambient light. i've never noticed any issues.

Thanks for the quick response, i only worried a bit because if the sensor failed and it filled to the backup sensor, i'm pretty sure my tank would go down a point or so on salinity, as its a 90g. I don't see it being a big issue if it happened once due to sensor failure as it should go back to normal after a day or two of evap but if became a monthly issue i'd want to make sure i'm cleaning it more regularly and was looking for people with experience so i know what to expect.

Opus123
08/18/2015, 10:57 AM
The only issue I've had is if there is algae growing around it, it can stick to the sensor and it won't come on because the algae is wet. I honestly don't worry about the salinity. I've had to add 3 or 4 gallons to my 30gal tank before because the tunze ato didn't come on to keep it full. No harm done.

sahin
08/19/2015, 03:48 AM
I've had the same Tunze Osmolator for about 5+ years now (used previously on the JBJ NC 28G). I only ever clean it once every few months. This involves giving a quick wipe. If I notice any salt/calcium buildup a quick wipe with a soft tissue wet with vinegar removes any deposit.