PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Calcium Reactor

mr9iron
08/18/2015, 08:45 AM
I am working with a friend to upgrade their 210 gallon reef tank so that it may flourish. It was awful before and we are seeing vast improvements. She went from having a fluvial canister filter, and some cheap 250 watt metal halides to a Lifereef LF1 300S sump, and Radion Gen3 XR30w lighting. A custom built stand to house 2 twenty-five gallon poly water tanks was built for storage and mixing.

A Neptune Apex is going to be ordered soon to run the tank, and we would like to set up an AWC using the Neptune Dos. I think a 1% daily water change would be acceptable. We have also discussed a calcium reactor so that she can focus on SPS as well, but I don't know whether I should go with a Lifereef or Geo. I would want to run the Reactor with a separate Neptune Dos pump as well.

I would like to hear some opinions on the Neptune Dos AWC, and which calcium reactor would be best. I appreciate any input.

Here are a couple of pictures

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/mr9iron205/Cindy/IMG_1273.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/mr9iron205/media/Cindy/IMG_1273.jpg.html)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/mr9iron205/Cindy/IMG_1271.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/mr9iron205/media/Cindy/IMG_1271.jpg.html)

ca1ore
08/18/2015, 08:57 AM
There are a number of good calcium reactors. MTC ProCal is my preferred model, but the MRC, Lifereef and Geo units look good as well.

mr9iron
08/18/2015, 08:59 AM
There are a number of good calcium reactors. MTC ProCal is my preferred model, but the MRC, Lifereef and Geo units look good as well.

What makes the MTC for preferred model over the others?

ca1ore
08/18/2015, 09:16 AM
I've been running it almost continuously for 12 years and it hasn't failed me once ....... :thumbsup:

Beyond that, build quality is second to none and I like the design (though I confess to having tweaked it a bit over the years).

Msleckro
08/26/2015, 08:32 AM
I'd like to know more about running the calcium reactor with the Dos pump.. Can't seem to find much information on this.

mr9iron
08/26/2015, 08:47 AM
I'd like to know more about running the calcium reactor with the Dos pump.. Can't seem to find much information on this.

I know, I'm kind of surprised others haven't tried this.

As for the tank it is getting ready to go through A complete overhaul. We're going to be pulling out the rock, the fish, and the leftover corals for now. We will be setting up dedicated Corentine system for the corals as well as the fish and I'm going to be entirely building a new rock structure. So this should be a fun journey. Also I think the apex supposed to arrive today

broadwave
08/26/2015, 09:26 AM
I would go either GEO or LifeReef.... I know Jeff at LifeReef is making Calcium Reactors this week.

Im my experience,I've had both, I prefer the GEO to the LifeReef because I feel that flow design is better in the GEO than LifeReef. (Geo it bottom to Top, where LifeReef is top to bottom)... Both are good Reactors.

Tigerdragon
08/26/2015, 09:37 AM
Note with a ca reactor you would want to use a dosing pump that is meant for continous duty like a master flex or a stenner most dosing pumps are not to be run on a constant basis

Msleckro
08/26/2015, 10:13 AM
Note with a ca reactor you would want to use a dosing pump that is meant for continous duty like a master flex or a stenner most dosing pumps are not to be run on a constant basis

I understand the dosing pump should be a continuous duty pump, like the master flex, but with the DOS, i think, i could set up to dose X-amount of ml per day of effluent from the CaRx. The apex fusion DOS "wizard" should then split the total amount to be dosed into the tank daily in to multiple doses.

For example:
If i wanted to dose 30ml/min of effluent:

It would be 30ml/min x 60min = 1800 ml/hour
1800ml/hour x 24 hours = 42300ml / day

Then in the "Wizard" i have it at 42300ml in a time set from 00:00 to 23:59 i think it would split this into multiple doses hourly to meet the 42300 ml/day.

My questions are:
Is this even possible?
and
Does it matter if the effluent isn't continuous but is still delivering the same amount of ml daily?

Tigerdragon
08/26/2015, 10:24 AM
If you only plan to dose so much then i would personally look at 2 part dosing instead the idea of the reactor is to provide a constant supply of effluent otherwise you willbe defeating the purpose of the reactor and the stability of the reactor would be all over the place because it depends on the co2 and flow

Breadman03
08/26/2015, 12:43 PM
The DOS will dose in intervals, which will create notable fluctuation in the reactor parameters.

mr9iron
08/26/2015, 12:52 PM
I would go either GEO or LifeReef.... I know Jeff at LifeReef is making Calcium Reactors this week.

We have a Lifereef sump, but I am thinking of going with the Geo Calcium reactor as well.:bounce1:

Im my experience,I've had both, I prefer the GEO to the LifeReef because I feel that flow design is better in the GEO than LifeReef. (Geo it bottom to Top, where LifeReef is top to bottom)... Both are good Reactors.

Which Geo are you using? Can you give me any tips for stability?

Ahh, thank you for that. I was a bit confused on how that works, but it makes sense now.

I understand the dosing pump should be a continuous duty pump, like the master flex, but with the DOS, i think, i could set up to dose X-amount of ml per day of effluent from the CaRx. The apex fusion DOS "wizard" should then split the total amount to be dosed into the tank daily in to multiple doses. .
For example:
If i wanted to dose 30ml/min of effluent:

It would be 30ml/min x 60min = 1800 ml/hour
1800ml/hour x 24 hours = 42300ml / day

Then in the "Wizard" i have it at 42300ml in a time set from 00:00 to 23:59 i think it would split this into multiple doses hourly to meet the 42300 ml/day.

My questions are:
Is this even possible?
and
Does it matter if the effluent isn't continuous but is still delivering the same amount of ml daily?

I think I will probably just stick with the standard calcium reactor instead.

If you only plan to dose so much then i would personally look at 2 part dosing instead the idea of the reactor is to provide a constant supply of effluent otherwise you willbe defeating the purpose of the reactor and the stability of the reactor would be all over the place because it depends on the co2 and flow

Thank you, as that makes sense.

The DOS will dose in intervals, which will create notable fluctuation in the reactor parameters.

I certainly don't want that. However, I will use the DOS to do continuous water changes though.

broadwave
08/26/2015, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=mr9iron;23960139]Which Geo are you using? Can you give me any tips for stability?

I'm running the GEO 618 on my 200G Reef. As a piece of equipment, I've never had any issues with it. The media melts evenly and the eheim pump is solid.

if you are talking about keeping the Ca/dKH and Mg stable... then thats a whole different topic.

Basically, I started off with a slightly broken stream for the effluent and have never changed the effluent. I also started with the internal pH at 7.2 and tested daily checking my dKH and Ca... if I wasn't keeping up with Ca and dKH demands, I would lower the pH in the reactor .1 until I can maintain my Ca about 420 and dKH about 8.5. Im currently running the internal pH at about 6.7 with tank pH at about 8.15 during the day and 7.9 at night. I've had it set this way for well over a year and haven't touched it.

I did the same thing with my LifeReef LCR-2 reactor and had that for over 4 years before upgrading. Again it was personal preference to go with the GEO. Both reactors work flawlessly.

HTH

mr9iron
08/27/2015, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=mr9iron;23960139]Which Geo are you using? Can you give me any tips for stability?

I'm running the GEO 618 on my 200G Reef. As a piece of equipment, I've never had any issues with it. The media melts evenly and the eheim pump is solid.

if you are talking about keeping the Ca/dKH and Mg stable... then thats a whole different topic.

Basically, I started off with a slightly broken stream for the effluent and have never changed the effluent. I also started with the internal pH at 7.2 and tested daily checking my dKH and Ca... if I wasn't keeping up with Ca and dKH demands, I would lower the pH in the reactor .1 until I can maintain my Ca about 420 and dKH about 8.5. Im currently running the internal pH at about 6.7 with tank pH at about 8.15 during the day and 7.9 at night. I've had it set this way for well over a year and haven't touched it.

I did the same thing with my LifeReef LCR-2 reactor and had that for over 4 years before upgrading. Again it was personal preference to go with the GEO. Both reactors work flawlessly.

HTH
That does help. What kind of regulator are you using on the Ca Rx?

slief
08/28/2015, 08:35 AM

I know, I'm kind of surprised others haven't tried this.

As for the tank it is getting ready to go through A complete overhaul. We're going to be pulling out the rock, the fish, and the leftover corals for now. We will be setting up dedicated Corentine system for the corals as well as the fish and I'm going to be entirely building a new rock structure. So this should be a fun journey. Also I think the apex supposed to arrive today

I own a Dos as well as a Cole Parmer Masterflex driven Calcium Reactor. As has been stated, the Dos is not well suited for Calcium reactor use because it doesn't allow you the ability to fine tune constant flow. You only have 3 head speeds where as the Cole Parmer provides virtually unlimited flow rates. You want a confinuous variable speed flow that you can adjust down to the ml/min. On that note, a Stenner is not well suited either. I've owned a few stenners and currently use one for my ATO. They don't provide the flow control needed for a calcium reactor. They do have a somewhat adjustable flow in that you can turn a dial but the motor doesn't actually slow down. The dial disengages a clutch to the peristaltic head at certain intervals to slow the flow but you don't have the kind of control needed to really fine tune the reactor that you get with a pump like a Cole Parmer. The Stenners are also VERY noisy and not well suited for use inside anywhere near your viewing areas. They sound like coffee grinders but for ATO use, you will not find a better pump. My Stenner is setup in a shed outside where my holding tanks are and I can hear it from 10' away even with the doors to the wood shed closed.

d2mini
08/28/2015, 09:35 AM
I run a LifeReef LCR2 CaRx, fed by a Cole-Parmer pump, controlled by a high end custom built dual stage regulator. Ultra stable and precise setup. Very easy to adjust when needed. I have a pH probe/monitor just so I have a general idea of where the reactor pH is at. And no, this setup is not being controlled by my tank controller. Display is 200g + another 150g in support.

https://bluelemonphoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-SqDpmG2/0/O/i-SqDpmG2.jpg

www.everydayreef.com

Tigerdragon
08/28/2015, 10:13 AM
I own a Dos as well as a Cole Parmer Masterflex driven Calcium Reactor. As has been stated, the Dos is not well suited for Calcium reactor use because it doesn't allow you the ability to fine tune constant flow. You only have 3 head speeds where as the Cole Parmer provides virtually unlimited flow rates. You want a confinuous variable speed flow that you can adjust down to the ml/min. On that note, a Stenner is not well suited either. I've owned a few stenners and currently use one for my ATO. They don't provide the flow control needed for a calcium reactor. They do have a somewhat adjustable flow in that you can turn a dial but the motor doesn't actually slow down. The dial disengages a clutch to the peristaltic head at certain intervals to slow the flow but you don't have the kind of control needed to really fine tune the reactor that you get with a pump like a Cole Parmer. The Stenners are also VERY noisy and not well suited for use inside anywhere near your viewing areas. They sound like coffee grinders but for ATO use, you will not find a better pump. My Stenner is setup in a shed outside where my holding tanks are and I can hear it from 10' away even with the doors to the wood shed closed.
Stenner may be a little noisy but they do make a single and dual head variable speed pump for a whole lot less money have been looking ar them myself for an auto wc setup

slief
08/28/2015, 02:40 PM
Stenner may be a little noisy but they do make a single and dual head variable speed pump for a whole lot less money have been looking ar them myself for an auto wc setup

They are great for water changes if you have the dual head version and great for ATO applications as I mentioned earlier but not for calcium reactors and they are not variable speed. You adjust the collar and it disengages the clutch intermittently so the pump head basically stops and starts but the motor keeps going at full speed. You have no fine control over flow. The more you turn the collar the longer the pause between pump head rotations. Also, if you talk to Stenner, they will tell you that their pumps are not designed to run 24/7 like the Cole Parmer Masterflex pumps. That said, if you want a great water change setup that gives you push button control over how many gallons you change a day, a week or at once, check out the Genesis Renew. That's what I use now and there isn't another water change solution on the market that can beat it. Plus in so much fast and convenient. Only down side to the Renew is the large 1 gallon metering bins. Fortunately for me, I had the space. By the way, the Stenner's aren't just a little bit noisy. They are extremely noisy if you have them in your home. If you keep it outdoors or in a garage that won't be an issue but you could head it plain as day across the house and upstairs if they are running. I know first hand having owned a few and have one in use for my ATO pump. Great pumps for ATO or AWC but you have very limited flow control and they are very very noisy. In fact, they are by far the noisiest pump I have ever used let alone heard.

mr9iron
08/28/2015, 03:21 PM
I run a LifeReef LCR2 CaRx, fed by a Cole-Parmer pump, controlled by a high end custom built dual stage regulator. Ultra stable and precise setup. Very easy to adjust when needed. I have a pH probe/monitor just so I have a general idea of where the reactor pH is at. And no, this setup is not being controlled by my tank controller. Display is 200g + another 150g in support.

www.everydayreef.com

Thanks for that! I will give it a look as the sump is a Lifereef as well. I really like the looks of your tank.