PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get started...advice?

connerba
08/18/2015, 07:58 PM
Looking at tankmates for a possible dwarf zebra lionfish tank. I have ideas and would appreciate some input. I'm looking at a 55 gal tank as far as size is concerned to start with, eventually I may upgrade it to a 100+ gal but I want to use what's available to us for the moment.

Possible tankmates;

- Snowflake eel
- Foxface rabbitfish
- maroon clownfish or maybe other options in clownfish that will be large enough to avoid being eaten
- flame angel

Ideally what I'm looking for is 3-5 fish (including in that number the lion). Something colorful, interesting to watch & capable of co-existing. I have heard that basically as long as it doesn't fit in the lionfish's mouth and isn't going to try and eat their fins that it should be fine. So if I could get some input? Is it worth doing a eel or would a convict goby be just as good? Instead of a flame angel could I do a type of angel that's blue in color? I saw one in my local fish store the other day but forgot the name and didn't ask their opinions on keeping it with lions. As far as keeping the animals above with the lion I got the go ahead but I know most of those are aggressive in nature and I feel like I might have just been getting "sold" on fish in the store.

Snowflake eel information is bringing up between 30 gallons and 60+ and with their bio load being rather large in comparison to the convict goby, as long as the goby would do well with the lion I'm leaning more towards one of those. My fiance would prefer the eel.

I am not at all set in stone with the type of fish I want aside from the lion and I do not want to cram a ton of fish in a small area. Something cohesive if you will. This would be my first tank build so I have a lot of questions....