PDA

View Full Version : Crocea + Flame Angel

mattsilvester
08/19/2015, 05:04 AM
Hi All,

Do you consider it high risk to put a flame angel in a tank with a Crocea clam?

According to the angelfish reef safe spreadsheet, 11 out of 57 flame angels surveyed were considered not reef safe. Of that 11, one nipped clams but stopped; one ate clams and LPS.

Now the survey is not exactly comprehensive (not complaints, great resource) and presumably not every tank of the 57 had clams, but optimisitcally speaking there is a 2-4% risk.

Any thoughts?

Art13
08/19/2015, 06:29 AM
You have to weigh the risk to yourself, how important is that angel for you in this tank. Personally, i don't find it worth it as if he does start nipping, i wouldn't keep him and i'm not going through tearing my display apart again for one fish like i did with the dotty back. Other people don't mind an occasional nip at their corals, and live with it as they like the fish that much. Even if they become a nipper, thats not a guarantee that he's going to kill the coral, in some cases it just might be less polyp extension on sps, or you find out you can't keep a certain lps anymore.

laga77
08/19/2015, 06:54 AM
Don`t overcrowd the tank and keep the Flame properly fed, not only quantity but quality, and you should lower the risk. My Angels never even look at the clams.

mattsilvester
08/20/2015, 08:39 AM
thanks guys.

Honestly speaking, the flame angel is my favorite fish of all time. If I can say with a degree of confidence that he won't kill the clam then I'd take the risk. If it comes to choosing flame or clam - that's a tough one. I'm new to clams and the novelty may wear off - but the flame angel is one of the reasons I got into the hobby and for one reason or another I haven't had one for years.

I guess I'll get a few other fish first and keep nurturing the clam - and I guess answer is that if I decide to take the risk then I have already chosen fish over clam, and as such it would be relatively easy to remove the clam, unharmed.

Meanwhile - I would still appreciate other peoples opinion / experience.

Mikefallen13
08/20/2015, 03:00 PM
I don't have any experience with flame angels, but I have had my coral beauty angel in with multiple clams (crocea, maxima, and derasa) with no issues. While I've had good luck, I have also heard horror stories from others so I think it's very dependent on the individual fish.

Stevenliu9
08/23/2015, 09:39 AM
I have had three flame angels over the years: 2 ignored the clam completely (they were both fed heavily), 1 nips the clam mantle nonstop but never "kills" it, just leaving the clam very unhappy. But I also want to point out that one naughty flame angel was in a crowded tank with limited legroom. So my hypothesis is that flame angels are fine with clams as long as you don't have a stressful situation, plenty of food and swimming room, and lots to forage on the liverock (the two model citizen angels are picking the rock all day long)

mattsilvester
08/23/2015, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys.

Well I tend to feed my fish well. So hopefully that will reduce risk. Other sources have said this also. There's now 5 clams in the tank so I'd the flame does take a fancy then initially he should "spread the love" and give me time to fix it.

So I'll pay the waiting game bow until LFS gets in a vibrant red coloured specimen; of I'm gonna take the risk or may as well be worth something I really like.

On a similar note, does anyone have experience with regal angels in a similar situation?

Thanks again.