PDA

View Full Version : Help with lighting upgrade

Duke4life
08/19/2015, 09:01 AM
After 3 months and even more addicted to this hobby than I was, it's time to upgrade my lighting so that I can do whatever coral my wife may desire. Currently running a single t5 54w 10kk bulb for 12 hours and a single blue at night for 4 hours.

Tank dimensions are 6 foot long, 18 inches wide, and 20 inches tall. Looking for something with a controller preferably and under $200. Contemplated a 6 bulb 48 inch long t5 fixture.

Any suggestions

christopherjudd
08/19/2015, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure if there's a fixture out the that can cover the whole tank, controllable and grow any coral for the budget you have

Duke4life
08/19/2015, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure if there's a fixture out the that can cover the whole tank, controllable and grow any coral for the budget you have

I'd love to go with some kessils but they are way outta budget. Anything if I doubled and tried to stay at $400 or under?

ifarmer
08/19/2015, 10:12 AM
yayyyy.
getting enough light coverage for such long tank is hard for that low of a budget.
Either a 6 bulbs T5 fixture or even 3 x chinese made (or ebay) LED fixtures
If she will be doing lps or softies, either options would good enough.
good luck

jdraider75
08/19/2015, 11:18 AM
A 6 bulb 60 inch t5 would work great on there.

Duke4life
08/19/2015, 11:37 AM
yayyyy.
getting enough light coverage for such long tank is hard for that low of a budget.
Either a 6 bulbs T5 fixture or even 3 x chinese made (or ebay) LED fixtures
If she will be doing lps or softies, either options would good enough.
good luck

No set idea at the moment, more and likely a combination of lps and softies. Id hate to tell her no on something since she hasn't me with the fish I have selected, as long as it's compatible (she understands this part). Technically my tank but figured if I got her input that she'd be more likely to help when needed.

Duke4life
08/19/2015, 11:42 AM
What about a pair of 36 inch fixtures?

Duke4life
08/19/2015, 11:56 AM
Something like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-165W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-Dimmable-For-Fish-Reef-Coral-Marine/181287175098?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D13b070cba0dd4dd590 b8ea4b4349a9fd%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D281627926932

Ron Reefman
08/20/2015, 07:18 AM
A 6' tank is going to need equipment that costs more than a smaller tank would.

I have a 180g 6' tank and I run leds now. You could get 3 or 4 Chinese led fixtures with 2 channels and built in timers. Run the blues for an hour or two longer than you run the white channel for some sunrise/sunset effect. It can be done for under $400 and you could grow anything in a 20" deep tank.

Controllers built into led fixtures for better sunrise/sunset effects will cost more. That's what I have, but I see my tanks all day and enjoy the gradual change. The corals and fish really don't care. I have 2 fixtures that are 32" each and cost about $425 each when they are bought new.

Three of the basic units from OceanRevive, ReefBreeders or any other EverGrow reseller should do the job and cost about $450. Cheaper Ebay fixtures can be had for under $100 and you'll probably want 4 of them.

Duke4life
08/20/2015, 01:31 PM
A 6' tank is going to need equipment that costs more than a smaller tank would.

I have a 180g 6' tank and I run leds now. You could get 3 or 4 Chinese led fixtures with 2 channels and built in timers. Run the blues for an hour or two longer than you run the white channel for some sunrise/sunset effect. It can be done for under $400 and you could grow anything in a 20" deep tank.

Controllers built into led fixtures for better sunrise/sunset effects will cost more. That's what I have, but I see my tanks all day and enjoy the gradual change. The corals and fish really don't care. I have 2 fixtures that are 32" each and cost about $425 each when they are bought new.

Three of the basic units from OceanRevive, ReefBreeders or any other EverGrow reseller should do the job and cost about $450. Cheaper Ebay fixtures can be had for under $100 and you'll probably want 4 of them.

I knew it would cost more but I figured how can I pass up a free setup lol. I've been dreaming about doing a tank again ever since I had to tear mine down 10+ years ago. The only limit to what I can do is $$$, my wife would have been happy with a predator tank if that's what I had wanted to do (was my original plan but been there done that, want fish I couldn't have before), plus the chance to do corals.

Ive been running the single 10kk daylight from 7am - 7pm, then a single blue from 7pm - 11 pm, and total darkness for 8 hours. The coralline algae has really taken off, not how I meant going about getting but something is working I hope. The tank is the centerpiece of the living room

How does the lifespan compare from the cheaper Ebay to better quality lights? Been focused up to this point on water chemistry and fish compatibility/needs and trying to stay patient in the process.

Ron Reefman
08/20/2015, 03:57 PM
With the Chinese leds they are all a bit of a crap shoot. Some are very good and some are pretty lame. Most of the differences are in hardware, not the light they make. Cheap fans make noise, cheap heatsinks (if they even use them) shorten led life, use of even cheap stainless steel screws (if they even use stainless) makes for rust and case material and finish like steel and paint is cheap and rusts, aluminum and powder coat lasts MUCH longer.

There are some pretty good Chinese leds that are inexpensive and I have been using them for close to 3 years now.

There are really cheap leds and I've had a few, they long ago rusted away.

If they have a sponsor forum here on RC, you can at least know they stand behind their equipment. If they don't and you got them off Ebay... it's your money, gamble if you want.

lpsouth1978
08/20/2015, 09:19 PM
For the cost, you could get something like this.

http://www.aquatraders.com/72-inch-4x80W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52327.htm

It would not be good enough for SPS, but should be suitable for most other things. The bulbs will be ok to start, but new, quality bulbs, will help. It has a built in timer/controller.

If you want something better, you could go with this

http://www.aquatraders.com/72in-Metal-Halide-HQI-T5-Aquarium-Light-p/54269.htm

I have had great success with this fixture, but it puts out A LOT of heat and the ballasts take up a bit if space. You could keep anything with this light though.

Duke4life
10/10/2015, 02:47 PM
I have yet to upgrade my lighting but did have come up with an idea:

Has anyone ever went half the tank super bright for coral, with the other half more subdued?